Nikon D6 Review from JD

CF Express is backward compatible to XQD, ie, you can use XQD cards in the D6. If you have a D5 with XQD slots you can't use CFExpress cards until they issue a firmware upgrade. After the upgrade you can use CFE or XQD.

Hello everyone, nice to see you all again. Sit down and take a cup of coffee or a tea, or whatever you like. There's more philosophy here than sheer tech.
Let's take the D6 to catch up with the forum after a long time of silence here. I think it's about one year or so that I don't write but I had a lot of personal problems (basically my father died one year ago and my brother and I had to deal with all the bureaucratic stuff ... a lot .. being 100 and 200 miles away from where he lived, plus taxes, expenses etc.) and it's only now I'm apparently (finally) coming to the surface and thankfully I might be one of the lucky able to afford the D6 once in my life. Yes, I want to get it, no matter what others say.
I admit yesterday when I first read about the D6 at 5.30 am, my thought was "Meh". Not overly excited about it; undoubtedly Canon went much further with its Canon 1DX Mk III this time; Nikon seems to have only "consolidated" the D5 in a more mature D5s (that is, actually; not a D6, despite AF and expeed changed).
Spec after spec, and comment after comment, I could only smell a huge delusion at first, it was clear Nikon basically invested all of its money in mirrorless cameras while, at least imho, at least THIS year, 2020, Tokyo Olympics, they should have invested much more in what could have been their last pro DSLR. Hey it comes only once in history ! Next Tokyo olympics will be in 40 yrs? 50 yrs? maybe next time will be on the moon? However, that's all for "rant". Their business. We can't help.
After a while, however, I started separating the two things that were mixed up: 1) what Nikon could have done ? (better, definitely) and 2) what would actually work for me. Hey I'm shooting with the D4s since two years now and the only possible "gripe" I ever found was still AF sensitivity, better than the previous D600 yet not at the level I wanted. Even D750 - I got one in the mean time - seemed to lock subjects better with low light. I do have and use it but I felt myself really at ease with D4s and for a while I was wondering to upgrade to D5, however I was still sensing D5 was missing something in terms of performance and overall usability, so I skipped (although now there are very good offers around).
Now D6 seems to have fixed (on paper) all of my desiderata about AF, connectivity, GPS etc and (really hope) it's ISO invariant and has better D/R, which are definitely D4s strong points. I really love D4s files. I had the opportunity to work with D850 with battery pack and yet I liked most the smaller and cleaner files which for me needed much less rework to fit my taste and workflow. I really hope someone can soon verify if D6 had an improvement compared to D5. Probably it won't fit many other people rather than sport shooters (imho aside IBIS the two biggest things Nikon could have done would have been an abt 30 MP sensor and maybe a 0.78x -0.8x viewfinder which makes watching through definitely a rewarding experience) About viewfinder, I say this because my Nikon F6, 13 yrs old now, is 0.74x and so far I can't find a single DSLRs - not even D850 - which gives me the same sense of space and clarity. No idea why is that,really, but I can see the difference. Maybe it's a different and more transparent glass they used.
Actually it's some time I started to "name" my cameras, obviously with female names (for what they do, actually cameras are female, never thought about it?). F6, the oldest, is "Flo" (recalling Florence, a beautiful, timeless and classy one), D4s is "Lea" (a sense of nobleness, pride and strenght, lea is she-lion, lioness) and D6 will become "Olga" (aside my personal taste and someone who's very dear to me, only spelling the "O" of Olga makes me think of a more mature, allround (OLLRAUND) camera). Had Nikon dared more, say 30 MP and 18/20 fps I'd have probably named her "Furia" (Fury), for obvious reasons. But that's ok, Olga is fine too. Just for the file, D750 is "Maria" (Mary) and all time classic.
Ok. tea/coffee break is over, I hope you enjoyed this little detour from usual discussion. I'll be posting more from now on. Best regards.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Hello everyone, nice to see you all again. Sit down and take a cup of coffee or a tea, or whatever you like. There's more philosophy here than sheer tech.
Let's take the D6 to catch up with the forum after a long time of silence here. I think it's about one year or so that I don't write but I had a lot of personal problems (basically my father died one year ago and my brother and I had to deal with all the bureaucratic stuff ... a lot .. being 100 and 200 miles away from where he lived, plus taxes, expenses etc.) and it's only now I'm apparently (finally) coming to the surface and thankfully I might be one of the lucky able to afford the D6 once in my life. Yes, I want to get it, no matter what others say.
I admit yesterday when I first read about the D6 at 5.30 am, my thought was "Meh". Not overly excited about it; undoubtedly Canon went much further with its Canon 1DX Mk III this time; Nikon seems to have only "consolidated" the D5 in a more mature D5s (that is, actually; not a D6, despite AF and expeed changed).
Spec after spec, and comment after comment, I could only smell a huge delusion at first, it was clear Nikon basically invested all of its money in mirrorless cameras while, at least imho, at least THIS year, 2020, Tokyo Olympics, they should have invested much more in what could have been their last pro DSLR. Hey it comes only once in history ! Next Tokyo olympics will be in 40 yrs? 50 yrs? maybe next time will be on the moon? However, that's all for "rant". Their business. We can't help.
After a while, however, I started separating the two things that were mixed up: 1) what Nikon could have done ? (better, definitely) and 2) what would actually work for me. Hey I'm shooting with the D4s since two years now and the only possible "gripe" I ever found was still AF sensitivity, better than the previous D600 yet not at the level I wanted. Even D750 - I got one in the mean time - seemed to lock subjects better with low light. I do have and use it but I felt myself really at ease with D4s and for a while I was wondering to upgrade to D5, however I was still sensing D5 was missing something in terms of performance and overall usability, so I skipped (although now there are very good offers around).
Now D6 seems to have fixed (on paper) all of my desiderata about AF, connectivity, GPS etc and (really hope) it's ISO invariant and has better D/R, which are definitely D4s strong points. I really love D4s files. I had the opportunity to work with D850 with battery pack and yet I liked most the smaller and cleaner files which for me needed much less rework to fit my taste and workflow. I really hope someone can soon verify if D6 had an improvement compared to D5. Probably it won't fit many other people rather than sport shooters (imho aside IBIS the two biggest things Nikon could have done would have been an abt 30 MP sensor and maybe a 0.78x -0.8x viewfinder which makes watching through definitely a rewarding experience) About viewfinder, I say this because my Nikon F6, 13 yrs old now, is 0.74x and so far I can't find a single DSLRs - not even D850 - which gives me the same sense of space and clarity. No idea why is that,really, but I can see the difference. Maybe it's a different and more transparent glass they used.
Actually it's some time I started to "name" my cameras, obviously with female names (for what they do, actually cameras are female, never thought about it?). F6, the oldest, is "Flo" (recalling Florence, a beautiful, timeless and classy one), D4s is "Lea" (a sense of nobleness, pride and strenght, lea is she-lion, lioness) and D6 will become "Olga" (aside my personal taste and someone who's very dear to me, only spelling the "O" of Olga makes me think of a more mature, allround (OLLRAUND) camera). Had Nikon dared more, say 30 MP and 18/20 fps I'd have probably named her "Furia" (Fury), for obvious reasons. But that's ok, Olga is fine too. Just for the file, D750 is "Maria" (Mary) and all time classic.
Ok. tea/coffee break is over, I hope you enjoyed this little detour from usual discussion. I'll be posting more from now on. Best regards.
My 2 cents....the D5 isn't missing a THING! It was a huge improvement over the D4/s - especially in acquiring focus and tracking fast moving subjects. That's a big reason why folks are less excited about the D6...... This would make a great time to start watching for a slightly used D5.....

With Nikon, I only need to read their specs. The specs tell me everything I need to know.

I only get around to reading other people's "Reviews" and the rather petty pontifications of the Measurabators after I (somewhat smugly!) already have my copy of the camera in my hand.

This time around it is exactly the same thing: my only hesitation this time is that a D6 would be quite an extravagant purchase when I already have an immaculate D5.

A fellow member of the Café managed to arrange things so that my D5 was on the first palette unloaded from the ship from Japan so I received it the day it was released and therefore have had the full four-years of the D5 cycle to enjoy this magnificent camera.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
With Nikon, I only need to read their specs. The specs tell me everything I need to know.

I only get around to reading other people's "Reviews" and the rather petty pontifications of the Measurabators after I (somewhat smugly!) already have my copy of the camera in my hand.

This time around it is exactly the same thing: my only hesitation this time is that a D6 would be quite an extravagant purchase when I already have an immaculate D5.

A fellow member of the Café managed to arrange things so that my D5 was on the first palette unloaded from the ship from Japan so I received it the day it was released and therefore have had the full four-years of the D5 cycle to enjoy this magnificent camera.
So what do you find impressive about the D6 over the D5?

I understand, Ann.
In my case, (the very) most of the reviewers I follow are US/UK, I try to cover both youtube and websites/blogs so that I can make myself a preliminary idea of what I'm looking for. It usually takes time, because of course many reviewers simply LIST what news report to them. Some reviewers are more experienced and articulate an answer, a theme besides the specs, among them, some are very nitpicking, others instead shed some more light from actual experience on the evident use of products. I wish you could listen to Italian, I just found one - Stefano Medici - which has a way of speaking that's very nice to me. Warm and honest, apparently. Although he didn't publish anything about D6, maybe someone wants to give him a chance (with auto translate on) for other things, here's its channel.
Btw a good ad buys very well - this has been for my D4s, so far the best camera I ever had, period. Unfortunately most aren't up to the game.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
As far as I'm concerned (yes biased I know) the only thing of interest in the D6 compared to The D5 is the different AF module. Nikon says its better, but herein lies the problem: we don't know how much better because:
  1. We have no tests nor reviews, and that will slowly solve itself. I noticed that DPReview has no hands on article with the D6, maybe Nikon is still tweaking the firmware and doesn't want it tried out yet? In today's news world this is quite unusual, as I said it indicates the Nikon does not want the D6 tested yet, work in progress? Time for a conspiracy theory? Are Nikon holding some feature(s) back, that they are unsure if the will release right now? Eye-AF?????
  2. Nikon is (sadly as always) notoriously lacking in technical documentation, compared to Canons well documented 1DX MKIII with white papers and great videos of how its used, so this means we don't know what the differences are for the scenarios that we as photographers would use it for.
Both these points are hurting the perception of the D6, and I would say that this is as a botched launch as Nikon has ever done, hopefully some real life testing can repair some of the damage done...

As far as I'm concerned (yes biased I know) the only thing of interest in the D6 compared to The D5 is the different AF module. Nikon says its better, but herein lies the problem: we don't know how much better because:
  1. We have no tests nor reviews, and that will slowly solve itself. I noticed that DPReview has no hands on article with the D6, maybe Nikon is still tweaking the firmware and doesn't want it tried out yet? In today's news world this is quite unusual, as I said it indicates the Nikon does not want the D6 tested yet, work in progress? Time for a conspiracy theory? Are Nikon holding some feature(s) back, that they are unsure if the will release right now? Eye-AF?????
Andreas then you think that this lack of information is due to Nikon not talking rather than (lazy/uninterested) reviewers ? That's the first time I ever think something like that. May be, I've really never thought of that.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Welcome back Dino! Nice to hear from you again.

I haven't scoured the whole internet but I have seen no one with a real hands on of the D6, other cameras like the OLympus EM-1 MKIII has real hands on reviews from multiple, so its clear to me that Nikon has not given reviewers D6 cameras to try out. So yes Nikon is holding back.

The Nikon D6 PDF brochure is informative but not very detailed: https://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM96RZZo-YRYNeYvAi9beHK4x3L-wmtXfawgokSdJtu7dDU0VkoA==/Misc/D6-Brochure.pdf

Andreas then you think that this lack of information is due to Nikon not talking rather than (lazy/uninterested) reviewers ? That's the first time I ever think something like that. May be, I've really never thought of that.

Andreas at page 12 there's an interesting things about the AF fine tune, now you can do that ALSO on Nikon zoom lenses both at wide and tele ends, just like you can do with Tap console on Tamrons
also hints about camera customization (page 24)

Last edited:
The increased number of cross-over focussing points will probably be extremely helpful.

The real thing is that only I can judge whether a camera suits my way of shooting, is ergonomically designed for my hands and will deliver the kind of images that I am striving to make.
The opinion of some reviewer or on-line cloud-baiter is of absolutely zero significance or of any value to me at all.
I actually find it much more interesting (and sometimes quite amusing!) to read their comments only after I have used the equipment for myself

If I need a product and the specs. are enticing (and my Plastic can absorb the cost!) I will order the camera sight unseen.
Should it fail to meet the specs or prove unergonomic or perform badly in actual use, I can always send it back!
That has never happened with Nikon equipment so far.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Yes that is nice, btw my old Canon 7D MKII has that as well as I assume all higher end Canons so that is a bit of a catch up

Andreas at page 12 there's an interesting things about the AF fine tune, now you can do that ALSO on Nikon zoom lenses both at wide and tele ends, just like you can do with Tap console on Tamrons
also hints about camera customization (page 24)

My guess (after experiencing Nikon releases the single digit Ds over a number of years) is that the first deliveries of the D6 are slated for the very end of March and will arrive in the hands of the first purchasers on April Fools Day.

Until the cameras actually ship, anyone who had a beta version for testing is almost certainly under an NDA so I wouldn't expect to see any independent "reviews" until April — although Nikon sometimes publishes a few comments and examples from their beta testers a couple of weeks before the general release.

Real Name
Andy
I hope early adopters of the D6 love the improvements so much that the used market for the D5 increases substantially. As I understand it, the D5 is excellent enough, and I'd welcome the chance to buy one at a price I can justify.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom