Nikon D6 Review from JD

Real Name
Randy
I can't watch that guy, it's worse than reading KR

I'm waiting to see what the new AF is like before I make a decision. It seems like we do this for every new product before we get it
I waited too long on the D5 and I won't make that mistake again. Somehow I doubt the D6 will be not be noticeably better than the D5 in something, I'm guessing AF and high ISO. Remember the jump from the D4 to the D5, pretty substantial so image if the D6 is that jump again. BTW I like 20mp since I'm spending thousands on glass to get closer. I rarely shoot wildlife with my D850

Real Name
Colin Carter
It certainly does look disappointing on paper and the videos by the Nikon sports ambassadors arn't worth watching. Real world use is all we can rely on. I might rent one when they are available.

There are one or two ergonomic quirks i wish they had fixed like the joystick not in the same place for vertical shooting and the 3 cf buttons on the front not been usable in vertical mode, it just means that whatever functions you have these programmed for cannot be used in vertical shooting.

Looks like the same sensor as the D5 too which is abit of a shame as it was seen, by many, as abit of a backwards step in the d5. This should have had a 24mpixel BSI sensor.

I'm waiting to see what the new AF is like before I make a decision. It seems like we do this for every new product before we get it
I waited too long on the D5 and I won't make that mistake again. Somehow I doubt the D6 will be not be noticeably better than the D5 in something, I'm guessing AF and high ISO. Remember the jump from the D4 to the D5, pretty substantial so image if the D6 is that jump again. BTW I like 20mp since I'm spending thousands on glass to get closer. I rarely shoot wildlife with my D850
I agree - don't like his style or his uncompromising opinions...

I know....Now you've got me waffling again...should I wait? I don't have a D5 so the negative comments re: the "only minor upgrade" to a D6 are not a big deal for me. As you say, even some improvements in AF and hight ISO may be worth it for me. Getting older by the minute...don't want to wait too long. Wife is supportive whatever decision I make....I know....seems that we've both mellowed in our old age. Wonder when they will announce when the body will be shipped.

Real Name
Randy
I know....Now you've got me waffling again...should I wait? I don't have a D5 so the negative comments re: the "only minor upgrade" to a D6 are not a big deal for me. As you say, even some improvements in AF and hight ISO may be worth it for me. Getting older by the minute...don't want to wait too long. Wife is supportive whatever decision I make....I know....seems that we've both mellowed in our old age. Wonder when they will announce when the body will be shipped.
I can tell you one thing for sure, The D5 is a game changer in 2 depts., like no other Nikon body ever, and that's AF, in Group Mode it almost never misses, you have to experience it to believe it, and high ISO, not so important with Dx0 s/w but it's still nice to go to 8k when you have to.....
When is the last time we bought something from Nikon that wasn't great, so I'm hopeful....we're the last of the DSLR gen I guess:)

oh yea I almost forgot, you should wait

I can tell you one thing for sure, The D5 is a game changer in 2 depts., like no other Nikon body ever, and that's AF, in Group Mode it almost never misses, you have to experience it to believe it, and high ISO, not so important with Dx0 s/w but it's still nice to go to 8k when you have to.....
When is the last time we bought something from Nikon that wasn't great, so I'm hopeful....we're the last of the DSLR gen I guess:)

Yeah I know...but waiting is so hard...

Real Name
Randy
I stopped watching these click bait youtube channels a long time ago.
The D6 is one fine piece of gear. Better AF than the D5, faster frame rate, not like the D5 is a slouch, most likely better dynamic range with better ISO performance, what is there not to like.
DSLR's have come such a long way the last five years, that new cameras are not ground breaking news anymore, same thing happened to the PC market, and the smartphone market.
my thoughts exactly, I'd be surprised if I didn't get one

I stopped watching these click bait youtube channels a long time ago.
The D6 is one fine piece of gear. Better AF than the D5, faster frame rate, not like the D5 is a slouch, most likely better dynamic range with better ISO performance, what is there not to like.
DSLR's have come such a long way the last five years, that new cameras are not ground breaking news anymore, same thing happened to the PC market, and the smartphone market.

Any mention if this camera will have OSPDAF? Canon made it a point that the 1DXmk3 has DPAF and Canon's all-electronic EF mount is now showing it's advantage with the faster live view with 20 fps vs Nikon's 10.5 fps. It also seems Sony isn't willing to give up their sensor advantage with the A9's stacked CMOS 24mp BSI sensor.

On the plus side the D5 and older flagship bodies will be dropping in price! :D

Last edited:
What an idiot! Completely missed the point of the AF upgrade. Ok, maybe fewer points and maybe clumped tighter but they are all cross-type and that makes a big difference. Hopefully they can match or exceed the af performance of Sony and Canon. I'm also disappointed they didn't go with a 24 mp BSI sensor.......

I'm just waiting for a couple of you guys to go out and buy one, so I can hear about some real-world results before I decide. I'd rather spend your money first! ;)

Like Randy, I waited too long on the D5, I didn't believe it could be that much better than the D4. On the other hand, I jumped way too soon on the D7100. Could have gone without buying that camera. I find that when it comes to the D6 - I want one. Just don't think that I need one. After all, the D5 is no slouch. Time will tell.

Any mention if this camera will have OSPDAF? Canon made it a point that the 1DXmk3 has DPAF and Canon's all-electronic EF mount is now showing it's advantage with the faster live view with 20 fps vs Nikon's 10.5 fps. It also seems Sony isn't willing to give up their sensor advantage with the A9's stacked CMOS 24mp BSI sensor.

On the plus side the D5 and older flagship bodies will be dropping in price! :D
No serious photographer uses live view to capture fast action.

No serious photographer uses live view to capture fast action.

Have you ever shot in the scrum of action during a big event while mounting a wide angle? It could be a huge party, sporting event or even courtroom news. Sometimes you need to take those off-angled shots when shooting in a fast paced tight squeezed scenario where live view shooting has proven to be quite useful. No serious photographer would handicap themselves when it comes to capturing a big moment.

Have you ever shot in the scrum of action during a big event while mounting a wide angle? It could be a huge party, sporting event or even courtroom news. Sometimes you need to take those off-angled shots when shooting in a fast paced tight squeezed scenario. No serious photographer would handicap themselves when it comes to capturing the moment.
And 10 FPS is not enough, really.
Why not 30fps, you might as well be doing video.

Latest threads

Top Bottom