Nikon D610 / Sigma 300-800

I have this combo in the title, and after reading some excellent reviews i was a little surprised at the less than stellar IQ at the long end. I was out recently capturing some Cormorants and when i got home and viewed the files, they were blurred when viewed even at 50%. Lens was on a carbon tripod, AF, ISO 800 , F6.3, distance around 75ft, SS was over 1000th. I use LLT too

I decided to check AF fine tune, and set the lens up on the same tripod at home, looking at a non moving subject, around 90ft away, using MF and Live view, LLT , F5.6 @ 800mm ISO 800, and getting SS of around 1000th. Took a snap, then immediately switched to AF and took another and compared shots.

Live view / MF shot was significantly better than the AF shot, so figured some AF fine tuning might help , even though i didnt see any front or back focus problems. But i didnt get any better shots after adjusting the fine tune in both directions.

Could there be a lens problem at the long end on the Sigma ? I will be doing another test tomorrow and hope that the weather improves and then can upload some samples

Yes, faster SS but i dont think 1000th/1200th ( which is what i used ) is the problem. I'm wondering if it maybe the camera rather than the lens - had better shots with D7000, but hate using high ISO on that body. Only use it when weather is bright

I'd try another body. Heavy duty lenses like the Sigma 300-800mm probably work best on a flagship body like a D3/D4. You can probably get better results even on a D800/D810 class body.

Real Name
Bill
You say you only use it when it's bright out. Have you tried shooting it on cloudy day? Often bright sun can be very challenging with long lenses as heat risers will make any lens look blurry.

You say you only use it when it's bright out. Have you tried shooting it on cloudy day? Often bright sun can be very challenging with long lenses as heat risers will make any lens look blurry.

Not the D610, i meant the D7000. Duller days mean higher ISO and i dont like the noise it produces, hence using the D610. The slightly blurry images i got recently with D610 and Sigma, the temp. was about 10 degrees, so not much haze about

Thanks for your replies people !

Real Name
Bill
Not the D610, i meant the D7000. Duller days mean higher ISO and i dont like the noise it produces, hence using the D610. The slightly blurry images i got recently with D610 and Sigma, the temp. was about 10 degrees, so not much haze about

Thanks for your replies people !
I don't find that air temperature is a determining factor more the strength of the sun. Just a couple of weeks ago we had a cold snap where it got to - 10f. Once the sun came up and the temps began to rise even though it was still in the single digits the strength of the sun was strong enough that every image I took with my 600mm was soft due to the ground heating up.

The poor IQ shot was over water shooting Cormorants, but i get your point.

I did some static tests when i got home with D610 , see my OP.

Latest threads

Top Bottom