1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon D700 preview at Penn Camera stores

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by SLRShooter, Jul 15, 2008.

1. I just received this from Penn Camera and for those who live in the DC/VA/MD area, you can get a hands on experience with the new D700.

Nikon D700 Launch Party at Penn Camera!

Do you want to be the first to see Nikon's full frame D700? Join us at Penn Camera Tysons and Penn Camera Laurel to get your hands on the new Nikon D700. Nikon representatives will be showing and explaining all the features of the D700 and will be ready to answer all of your questions.

Pre-Order and save!*
    Anyone that prepays for a Nikon D700 during the party will receive a 4GB UDMA ultra fast memory card with their new camera, Customers who prepay at Laurel or Tysons will also receive a Nikon thank you gift.

Event Details:
    Refreshments and door prizes will be at both locations. Don't miss this chance to learn about the D700, win prizes, and talk with other area photographers.

Where & When: (2 locations only) Thursday July 17th from 5-8pm

Penn Camera Tysons Marshall's Square 8357-E Leesburg Pike Vienna, VA 22182
    Ph.: (703) 893-7366
    Directions
    Penn Camera Laurel: Laurel Shopping Center 352 Domer Avenue Laurel, MD 20707
    Ph.: (301) 497-0001
    Directions
    *Free card offer is good at all Penn Camera locations during the event. Free card offer can not be combined with any other offers.

2. Norm,

Thank you so much for the update. I guess I will see you in Laurel on Thursday afternoon. I hope they let us use our own cards this time. I would like to bring a few lenses along and take some test shots.

3. Yep, I got the notification in my email, too...... I may go over just for the fun of it, but I am not intending to preorder or purchase a D700. It would be a nice opportunity to see one and handle it, though. That would be a good idea to take your own CF card with you and a couple of your own lenses so that you can really test things out....

4. I, like Connie, have no intention of buying a D700 but will probably go and play. Store will probably be mobbed. Wonder if they will have the new SB900 in stock????

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

u go in fora test drive and leave with a new CAmeRa ..lol

6. While I would like to go, Tysons will be mobbed, parking is bad, traffic at 5PM!!! Most importantly, they never pay any attention to me when there is no one there so...

7. Nah, everybody'll be safe -- they'll just be able to handle a demo and that's it. If they really want a D700 they'll have to put in a preorder.....

8. Those who go look for fling birds and let us know if it is more like the D3 or the D300. :cool: 

9. Boy, isn't that the truth -- why the heck they would pick that time of day....?!!! I suppose to snag the on-the-way-home-from-work folks, hoping that they'll stop in before continuing on home (especially if they live off Rte 7 anyway, even if it's further West).....

I am sure the guys at Penn will be so happy to see me, as it's been a while since I've been in there. They'll be disappointed, though, when I tell them I'm NOT pre-ordering one of the new D700 cameras!!

10. I might actually go. My wife is going out to dinner with her sister, my daughter is at her grandparents... So... If I do, I'll look out for you Connie, would be nice to finally meet you! :smile:

11. That would be super! Well, let's see.... I'm 5'3, I've got red hair, wear glasses and will probably be chattering up a storm with the guys and gals at the store, as most of them know me from years and years of being a loyal customer..... I may be talking about the newest iPhone with Chip, as he and I are buddies from MacRumors and have often shared our love of Apple products, comparing our (original) iPhones and talking about our Macs..... Or I might be talking with Arlene about this-and-that (personal lives or cameras), or with any of the others about anything and everything..... they've all seen me go through a lot of Nikons through the years, from my very first Nikon (N90 film) through a succession of Coolpixes to my first DSLR, the D70, to the D200 and then last year to the D3 and D300..... Not to mention a bunch of lenses.

Whatever.....That would be so cool to meet you, Rich!! :smile:

12. would like to hear and see images from this

Hi,
    I also live in Virginia, in Williamsburg, but too far to come up there I'm afraid. I'm hoping you all will post images from your trial run and impressions. I would especially be interested in the wide angle performance of this D700, I have a new 24mm PCE tilt shift lens that I will mount first on my new D700; I have a D700 ordered at Berger Brothers. Please post impressions/images.
    Thank you,
    Debra

13. Okay,so I will look out for a red-headed hummingbird flitting from person to person!!! :biggrin: Hope to see you tomorrow Connie. I'll be wearing shorts and t-shirt, have yet to decide which ones. Short S&P hair, glasses, maybe if I hang with you for a few seconds, they will pay attention to me in the future! :wink:

14. Pretty cool! I wish Ritz camera would do something like this, I two near me.

15. See you tonight, Rich! Looking forward to meeting you! I haven't decided yet what I'll wear but probably it will be shorts and a tee, seeing as it's a hot one out there today.....oh, and my black Teva sandals that I live in all spring, summer and fall.

Should be a fun evening!!

(I have the feeling I should leave checkbook, credit cards, debit card and any form of money at home!)

16. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    I trust you two are going to post pics of each other and the setting for your date

17. Well well well. I should have known not to get my hopes up. They had a few lenses out, a D3 and one D700 that one person would not part with and no one would tell them to share. I had to laugh, the rep was holding it explaining something to this person, and I held out my hand for it, he gave it to me, then the cam was ripped out of my hand: "I'm not done with it." So I left. Small crowd too... I thought it would have been more crowded, I could even park easily... All in all a strange and disappointing event, and I didn't even get to meet Connie!!!

18. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    What an annoying ****

19. Gosh, Rich, you must have been there really early, right at the dot of 5:00!!! I didn't get there until I think it was around 5:45-ish and I kept looking for you..... Finally at 7:30 I had the bright idea to fire up the iPhone and check this thread -- bingo!!! I saw that you'd been and gone..... I left then, too, having hung around there long enough and because I needed to go visit a friend who is in the hospital.

The guys and gals at Penn were all disappointed when I didn't promptly flash a credit card and say, "Pre-order me the D700!" Some of the people who were there did go ahead and sign up for one but a lot of us didn't, instead we were just coming for a peek at the camera.

It is similar in size to the D300 and feels very nice in the hand. I didn't take a CF card with me so don't have any samples to share, but I kicked the ISO up to 1600 and fired away, then looked for noise. There were three cops there (considering it for the department?) and so I used their dark uniforms and the store's dim lighting to see how effective the ISO is. Looks good to me, but of course you really cannot tell for sure until you've got the image in the computer. Some of the features on the back of the camera are exactly the same as the D300 but many others are not, are different in some way....

They had a D3 and D300 in addition to the D700, and they had the new 60mm, the 16-85mm, the 14-24mm, the 24-70mm, the 70-200mm VR, the 12-24mm, the 50mm f/1.8 and a couple others I can't recall just now. They had both DX lenses and FF lenses so that people could see what happens when you put a DX lens on the full-frame camera.

I think this will be another best-seller for Nikon. It's a camera which has all the good features that most could want, the lighter weight and yet good solid build, the flexibility of the new battery grip which can be shared with the D300 if one has one of those, the ability to use the same batteries as the D300 OR the D3.... I didn't spend much time fiddling with the menu so don't know which it more resembles, the one in the D3 or the one in the D300, but it has many of the key features of the D3 (including, of course, the fact that it is full-frame) and it also shares some features with the D300. I left the brochure out in the car so can't itemize them off the top of my head.

If I didn't already have a D3 I would be putting my name on the pre-order list. If I didn't already have a D300 I would be putting my name on the pre-order list. I use my D3 and my D300 to complement eachother and to serve as back ups for each other. If I didn't have a D3, I could see a dynamite combo of the D300 and D700. If I didn't have a D300 and needed a second body to serve as backup I could see the combo of the D3 and D700....

Nikon is going to be making a lot of people very happy!

20. Thanks for the report Connie, you made me feel like I was there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.