Nikon D7000 photos vs Canon

Hi Everyone,

I've been the proud owner of a Nikon D7000 for the past 4 months. I LOVE this camera. However, I am constantly frustrated by the lack of warmth in my pictures as compared to my friend's Canon 60D DSLR.

Some people might argue that Canon takes an "unnatural" picture because the colors are richer and the Nikon is more "true", but I find this very frustrating. I don't have the time or motivation to post-process all my pictures to warm them up.

Is this a common experience among other Nikon users? Perhaps there is a camera setting in my D7000 that I can adjust to improve the color warmth of my pictures?

Thanks!

That's an interesting thought. Maybe I should try a Canon lens on my D7000 and see if the pictures look warmer. I hadn't thought about that.

Every time I see my friend's pictures from his Canon DSLR, it makes me sick how rich and warm the colors are...

Thanks for your reply!

Unless we shot the exact shots (same location, etc), I don't know how valuable that would be.

It may be subjective, but as far as what my eyes see, the images from his camera look warmer and richer than the pictures coming from my D7000.

Unless we shot the exact shots (same location, etc), I don't know how valuable that would be.

It may be subjective, but as far as what my eyes see, the images from his camera look warmer and richer than the pictures coming from my D7000.
Agreed its often not very productive to compare images that are not identical and you are indeed right it is very subjective.

I guess what I really mean is that I have not seen any shots from the afore mentioned Canon model and would like to see some of the samples just so I can see what your seeing. Personally I find the D7K provides quite warm images routinely to my eye but as I said I have not seen the results from a Canon body so I dont really have much to weight it up against.

Jonathan, I completely agree. I actually chose the D7000 because of the awesome build quality and features. I'm not giving it up. I think I'll try and play around with the white balance settings and see what I can come up with.

I suspect the default factory-settings on Canons are just set warmer than the Nikons. So, hopefully I can tweak my in-camera settings and achieve colors similar to the Canon shots.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Hey Guys,

Here's a web article I found recently that compares pictures from Canon 60D and Nikon D7000. Scroll down a bit and you'll see 2 pictures from both cameras (has a sign "CANOES"). It's very obvious that the Canon is much warmer. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

http://thediscerningphotographer.com/2011/01/20/nikon-d7000-vs-canon-60d/
I see what you mean. I think the incamera settings would be able to deal with that minor difference pretty easily though.

Most certainly. I just have to figure out how to do it. It could be a white balance issue...I don't know. Time to break out the user's manual. :)

That's an interesting thought. Maybe I should try a Canon lens on my D7000 and see if the pictures look warmer. I hadn't thought about that.

Every time I see my friend's pictures from his Canon DSLR, it makes me sick how rich and warm the colors are...

Thanks for your reply!
you cant put a canon lens on a nikon, so thats out.

Most certainly. I just have to figure out how to do it. It could be a white balance issue...I don't know. Time to break out the user's manual. :)
I know you don't want to hear this. But you really are wasting your time shooting a camera like the D7000 and doing no post work to them at all. You could do a very simple contrast, sharpen, saturate and warm preset on import and lightroom that would really help the images pop and would take no more than 10 minutes.

I know you don't want to hear this. But you really are wasting your time shooting a camera like the D7000 and doing no post work to them at all. You could do a very simple contrast, sharpen, saturate and warm preset on import and lightroom that would really help the images pop and would take no more than 10 minutes.
I generally hit "Auto Tone" and then go from there (adjusts exposure or what not as needed), takes me all but 2 minutes or so per picture.

I generally hit "Auto Tone" and then go from there (adjusts exposure or what not as needed), takes me all but 2 minutes or so per picture.
I find its more work correcting auto tone :biggrin:

Having said that I don't do a lot of adjustments in most cases... about 5 - 10 minutes worth.

:confused:

Just trim some amber white balance adjustment into your D7000 if you want a slightly warmer look, or adjust in post. It's very easy. There's tons of internal settings that you can play with right on the camera to get whatever look you want, and if you can't that's what post-processing is for later either with JPEGs, or RAW if you really want to get fancy.

Edit: Ah, I see you've mentioned that you're already going to try that, so you're on the right track. :smile:

:eek: I left Canon after 35 yrs because I preferred the Nikon colors SOOC.

Was tired of the red channel blowing 24/7 and just love the look of my Nikon Jpegs
with no PP. I shoot, I upload, I sell. My life's SO much easier the last 3 yrs. :biggrin:

Hold the white balance button.

Then turn the front dial, it should chose the different WB settings
Then turn the rear dial, it is an adjustment to those settings, set it to +A (a1 a2 a3) and the images get warmer, set it to -A (A 1 a 2 a 3) and you get cooler images.

I could be backwards on that (my camera is at home and im at work), but the general principle is correct, it is a quick simple method for a user to fine tune the WB to thier personal preference.

I normally have it set on A3.

EDIT, if you are shooting in Jpeg you can use the picture controls, set it to VIVID and the colors pop, either dig through the menu, or just hit the "I" button twice and select it off the rear screen on the bottom.

Once again, if im mistaken in the method to select, my camera is at home, i am at work

Look at page 119 in the manual, the degree which you can fine tune the white balance is amazing. You could also look at picture controls by adjusting the hue and saturation. Lots of options

pg 119. "White balance can be “fine tuned” to compensate for variations in the color of the light source or to introduce a deliberate color cast into an image."

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom