Nikon D7000 with DK-17M and Round Eyecup Mod

I've been looking for a viewfinder for my Nikon D7000 DSLR Camera that sticks out further, something similar to what is available for the Nikon D700. I wear glasses and my face tends to be all up on my LCD screen leaving smudges. So I've been googling and there hasn't been much information.

Nikon has magnifiying viewfinders for the D7000 such as the Nikon DG-2 2x Eyepiece Magnifier and Nikon DK-21M Magnifying Eyepiece but it's either too big or too small. There is also the Tenpa 1.22x or 1.33x magnification but would you really trust ordering something overseas that costs approximately $50 and end up not liking it? I've also read that magnifiers are usually used for those who use manual focus lenses. So I thought I would make mine a little different and unique from the rest of the Nikon D7000's and be able to use OEM Nikon products by providing an informational site along with a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) tutorial. If I don't like it or wanted to return the items, I can do so and at most, I would be spending only for the cost of the modified adapter.

I'm going to be showing 2 options using all original OEM Nikon products. Both options work on Nikon DSLR's such as D70, D70s, D300, D300s, D90 and possibly work on Canon DSLR's such as Canon EOS 5D, Pentax, Olympus and Sony (you may need to do some additional research).

OPTION #1:
This method requires modifcation. You'll need the following:

DK-22 adapter (#2370)
DK-17M magnifier (#4793)
DK-19 Rubber Eyecup (#4787)

The DK-22 has 19mm threading. DK-17M is 22mm. So it wont be a direct fit. What you'll need to do is shave some of DK-22's innards down so that it can fit the DK-17M.

Here are some pics of my mod on D7000:
more info and pics here

6189778068_3cccaa0cfc_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

6189777548_866a2e3a53_z.jpg

6189777976_bc5fb3268b_z.jpg

OPTION #2:
If you're just looking to use a round eyecup with no magnification, you'll need the following:

DK-22 adapter (#2370)
Nikon Finder Eyepiece for FM, FE & FA Series Cameras (#2925)
DK-3 Rubber Eyecup (#2362)

Here is what it looks like on my D7000:
more info and pics here

6189776380_97d6a38a49_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes thanks much for this! Does the Nikon Finder Eyepiece for FM, FE & FA Series Cameras have a glass element? If so, is it clear or does it have any designed optical properties?

As you mentioned, in the linked piece, there are some third party products, including an Eyecup retaining ring (advertised as for the Nikon DK-3 eyecup and compatible with DK-22 eyepiece adapter) from Precision Photo that has no element at all. It appears to be intended only for insertion into the eyepiece to couple the eyepiece with the adapter. Assuming the Precision Photo part is properly sized, it is much less than the eyepiece. I know others here at the Cafe have been happy with Precision Photo for such accessories.

Thank you for posting this! I may give the magnifying eyepiece a try but how does it affect people who wear glasses?
I actually wear glasses. With my D7000, my face is all up on the LCD screen leaving oil smudges from my face. With glasses, it's not that bad. I dont have to put my face so close to the viewfinder and it blocks out light also. My only complaint is that the corners are not viewable due to the magnification. I've had friend who wear glasses and non-wearing glasses use my camera and not complain about the magnification.

Yes thanks much for this! Does the Nikon Finder Eyepiece for FM, FE & FA Series Cameras have a glass element? If so, is it clear or does it have any designed optical properties?

As you mentioned, in the linked piece, there are some third party products, including an Eyecup retaining ring (advertised as for the Nikon DK-3 eyecup and compatible with DK-22 eyepiece adapter) from Precision Photo that has no element at all. It appears to be intended only for insertion into the eyepiece to couple the eyepiece with the adapter. Assuming the Precision Photo part is properly sized, it is much less than the eyepiece. I know others here at the Cafe have been happy with Precision Photo for such accessories.
The Nikon Finder Eyepiece has a thin piece of glass. In other words, there is no hole. There is no +1, -2 optically. Its a 0 as in no change from its original viewfinder.

Yes, Precision Photo is another source for aftermarket parts. And yes, it is cheaper but remember that the parts used are not OEM Nikon parts. I've read reports of Precision Photo either not having parts in stock even though its listed as available or taking a very long time to ship stuff out.

I've also read the since its aftermarket parts, the fittings were loose.

I have option 2 on my D7000 right now. It helps as I previously found my glasses being pushed down so that I was looking through the upper frame. This eye cup seems to help keep my glasses in place.

As far a usage, I've found I occasionally need to tighten the eye cup as it comes loose. It covers a bit of the rear lcd, but nothing too severe. Holding a Hoodman loupe against it just barely works. I find I can see all parts of the viewfinder reasonably well.

I guess the key for me is I would do it again.

I have option 2 on my D7000 right now. It helps as I previously found my glasses being pushed down so that I was looking through the upper frame. This eye cup seems to help keep my glasses in place.

As far a usage, I've found I occasionally need to tighten the eye cup as it comes loose. It covers a bit of the rear lcd, but nothing too severe. Holding a Hoodman loupe against it just barely works. I find I can see all parts of the viewfinder reasonably well.

I guess the key for me is I would do it again.
Haven't had option 2 on my camera for too long. Had it on for about 1-2 days and those days were sitting in my bag. Only time I used it was when I was trying/testing it out. A couple days later, my DK-17M came in the mail and I started to modify it. Since than, I left it as is. I have the DK-22, DK-3 and eyepiece dismantled and in its original packaging.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom