1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

nikon d80 AF assist problem?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by dbguy, Sep 1, 2008.

1. I can't get the light to work constantly... is that normal? i was trying to get the AF assist light to turn on all the time, but sometimes it wont even light up. i was shooting at night.

2. I had this problem with my D300, I'm interested in a solution as well.

3. I believe that the light has a time-out feature to prevent overheating. If it is "on" for a long time, it might simply be shutting itself down to cool off.

4. I have a feeling the camera will only use the light when it feels it needs it.

5. gd1418

gd1418

Feb 3, 2008
    Gurgaon, India
    Same with mine too. Could it be because it comes on only when the ambient light is too low for the camera sensor?

6. Yes, the light only comes on when the camera needs it.

7. The AF Assist light will come on when the subject is poorly lighted. It does not light for Landscape, Sports, or Night Landscape modes.

The AF Assist light does not illuminate just because the whole scene is dimly lit.

Max

8. hmm, i was trying to focus on my subject at night, and its very difficult with low light and a uncooperative light. how would you solve this problem?

9. If your camera's built-in AF light can't provide enough light, use an external flash like the SB800 which has a better AF assist system.

10. theres a af assist on the sb800? i did not know that, how would i function it?

11. The SB600/800/900 all produce an infrared AF assist pattern that is more powerful than the built in camera light. It eminates from the large red plastic area on the front bottom of the flash.

The camera's light is automatically disabled whenever you use one of these flashes.

12. The AF assist light will not work if the camera is in AF-C autofocus mode, or if your using AF-A and the camera has chosen AF-C.

Hope this helps.

13. You need to use AF-S for the light to work I seem to remember.

Ah, DaveKiddle beat me to it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.