1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon D80 battery grip and batteries

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Sissel77, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Sissel77

Sissel77

Dec 23, 2008
    Norway
    I have been thinking of buying a battery grip for my D80. I think that the orginal one is a bit expensive and was wondering about the Phottix ones. But maybe I will try and buy a orginal one used instead. For those of you using the orginal grip, do you use only orginal batteries too? I have 4 Phottix batteries for my D80 that I have had for a long time and have had no problems with them. But I only have on orginal battery for it. So if I can not use my Phottix batteries in it, I would rather by the Phottix grip.

2. xtians

xtians

Nov 8, 2008
    So Cal
    I use the Nikon grip with my D90, and have only used original batteries with it. I've read posts about 3rd party batteries working, but not being able to communicate battery life information with the camera. But since you haven't had any problems with the Phottix batteries, it would probably work fine with the Nikon grip. I highly recommend the MB-D80 grip.

3. I use the Nikon grip and Nikon batteries
    When it comes to electrical connections, I believe in sticking with the manufacturers products

Save money in other areas - not this one

4. +1

5. chuckh

chuckh

Feb 17, 2009
    Canada
    Sorry to be a downer here, but I use the Nikon grip and Nikon batteries, and recently discovered the left chamber of the grip no longer detects a battery properly.

It's not always fun and games, although I suppose I can be glad that it didn't explode or something worse. Nikon's fixing it right now.

6. AllThumz

AllThumz

Feb 24, 2009
    Albany, Oregon
    Another vote for the MB-D80. For some reason, I always had trouble with the alignment of shooting verticals. The grip helped in that regard. The controls are in a natural position and the batteries last a very long time (EN-EL3E). Plus, there is the option of using AA's, and they are available worldwide.

Go for it. You won't be sorry!

Regards,
    John

7. I am sure that the Nikon service fix will be better than a Phottix warranty
    I had a loose connection on my MB-D80 that was fixed under warranty by Nikon - works great now

8. aCab

aCab

Aug 27, 2008
    ATL
    Thought I'm new to Nikon, previous experiences tell me to go with the Nikon version. It's definately worth it (both the Nikon version and a grip in general.)

9. ThursdayLsr

ThursdayLsr

Jun 22, 2009
    Maryland
    Never had a problem with my grip. I use Nikon batteries only.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.