Nikon D80 battery grip and batteries

I have been thinking of buying a battery grip for my D80. I think that the orginal one is a bit expensive and was wondering about the Phottix ones. But maybe I will try and buy a orginal one used instead. For those of you using the orginal grip, do you use only orginal batteries too? I have 4 Phottix batteries for my D80 that I have had for a long time and have had no problems with them. But I only have on orginal battery for it. So if I can not use my Phottix batteries in it, I would rather by the Phottix grip.

I use the Nikon grip with my D90, and have only used original batteries with it. I've read posts about 3rd party batteries working, but not being able to communicate battery life information with the camera. But since you haven't had any problems with the Phottix batteries, it would probably work fine with the Nikon grip. I highly recommend the MB-D80 grip.

I use the Nikon grip with my D90, and have only used original batteries with it. I've read posts about 3rd party batteries working, but not being able to communicate battery life information with the camera. But since you haven't had any problems with the Phottix batteries, it would probably work fine with the Nikon grip. I highly recommend the MB-D80 grip.
I use the Nikon grip and Nikon batteries
When it comes to electrical connections, I believe in sticking with the manufacturers products

Save money in other areas - not this one

Sorry to be a downer here, but I use the Nikon grip and Nikon batteries, and recently discovered the left chamber of the grip no longer detects a battery properly.

It's not always fun and games, although I suppose I can be glad that it didn't explode or something worse. Nikon's fixing it right now.

Another vote for the MB-D80. For some reason, I always had trouble with the alignment of shooting verticals. The grip helped in that regard. The controls are in a natural position and the batteries last a very long time (EN-EL3E). Plus, there is the option of using AA's, and they are available worldwide.

Go for it. You won't be sorry!

Regards,
John

Sorry to be a downer here, but I use the Nikon grip and Nikon batteries, and recently discovered the left chamber of the grip no longer detects a battery properly.

It's not always fun and games, although I suppose I can be glad that it didn't explode or something worse. Nikon's fixing it right now.
I am sure that the Nikon service fix will be better than a Phottix warranty
I had a loose connection on my MB-D80 that was fixed under warranty by Nikon - works great now

Thought I'm new to Nikon, previous experiences tell me to go with the Nikon version. It's definately worth it (both the Nikon version and a grip in general.)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom