Nikon D810 problem

Camera Nikon D810- Lens Nikon 24-70mm F2.8G. Tripod and target Spyderlenscal. Used a remote wired shutter release to prevent camers shake

Ok here is the problem

With the camera @70mm and f2.8 focus appears ok on rear screen and TV as shown below in the short video. So I take the picture and view it back as it is now on the memory card, The picture is now not in focus as shown it the second part of the video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb3SuXMhZsw

Any ideas as I have tried to eliminate any human error. I am thinking a possible camera recalibrate. Would I be correct???

thank you

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
AHH think I found the problem . With the mirror locked up I cleaned the AF sensors underneath the mirror with a rocket blower and the Artric brush (not spinning) and it seems to have worked
Never in a month of Sundays could I have only cropped this amount before unedited
_DSC9551b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Steve Perry came up with the answer in solution 2 at 2,20 minutes into the video

Last edited:
I used one of these to do the job, makes it a lot easier
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZMKQ...055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=
this is Amazon UK but should be found on Amazon com as well.

If I may a little tip

if using a liquid for cleaning the main sensor to get rid of stubborn dirt, what I do is put a drop onto a clean work surface and dip the swap into it. That way you don't swamp the swab with too much fluid

Just taken
Bee in flower head, impossible before AF sensor clean

Tamron 90mm macro lens

4om8vo4.jpg

Last edited:
ZxCKR10.jpg

Red Admiral

second swap AF clean and so much better now. Bought new foam tipped swabs as mine were getting too old to use

sweet pea flower

5f026Mo.jpg

Ok it has been cropped but I still can't get over the improvement doing that auto focus clean. it is like having a new camera and lens. Even the little bug shows up which I didn't see just to right of flower centre.

new learning curve now using Manual settings.

Up to now I have tended to avoid manual settings as the Dioptic view finder was right on the minus setting if not a bit past it. So ordered a +2 Dioptic or the D810 and got it yesterday.

What a difference it has made, no wonder I was struggling before. So now got a completely new way of taking photos and not rely on auto only in any form. Will take time to get used to do manual focus but fun trying to get it right

Managed this apart from wind disturbance

Small White--- Pieris rapae

O4NZ0w9.jpg

so its a start

Some of the original 24-70 2.8G lenses had different focus shift issues depending on focal length. This lens is calibrated by Nikon separately at 24, 50 and 70mm focal lengths. If you calibrate your in-camera Fine tune AF to the lens at 70mm make sure you also test it at 50 and 24mm. If there is an issue you may need to have it sent to Nikon for calibration of all 3 focal lengths to 0.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom