Nikon D850 - Focus Shift Feature

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Rick Higgins, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Rick Higgins

Rick Higgins

Mar 8, 2018
    I have a Nikon D850 and using the feature in it called Focus Shift (Focus Stacking) shooting feature. I'm using a Nikon 16-35mm and a 24-85mm lenses, shooting in RAW and saving them on a Sony 128GB XQD card.

The Focus Shift shooting works very well except for creating a separate folder to save the files in. I've taken single images then went into the focus shift menu, set everything up including renumbering and new folder. The results were the file were renumbered but placed with all the single shots I took, no folder!

Any ideas on what might be going on?

Signed - Confused!!!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. I have a check mark in the box for new folder and I get a new folder each time I start a new focus shift set. Did you remember to hit the"OK" button after selecting new folder?

Larry

3. Rick Higgins

Rick Higgins

Mar 8, 2018
    Yes, I did hit the OK button. Do you know of a setting in the menus that might cause this problem?

4. Here is how Thom Hogan describes the process:
    Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 15.42.19. Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 15.42.33.

5. So far as I know if the little box at new folder has a check mark in it, a new folder should be created. I'm not aware of any other setting that would prevent it being created.

Larry

6. Rick Higgins

Rick Higgins

Mar 8, 2018
    Yes, that is the procedure I'm following, so I think I'm doing it correctly!

7. Has always worked for me.

8. Rick Higgins

Rick Higgins

Mar 8, 2018
    Thanks Larry for your help :) 

9. Rick Higgins

Rick Higgins

Mar 8, 2018
    Thanks Nick :) 

10. Are you starting the stacking by using the shutter button or my hitting start on the Menu?
    Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 15.57.39.

11. Do you have a check mark in the box like this?

_DSD4916.JPG

12. Rick Higgins

Rick Higgins

Mar 8, 2018
    I'm hitting START on the menu

13. Rick Higgins

Rick Higgins

Mar 8, 2018
    Yes, I'm checking this box and the Renumbering box and tapping START

14. Yikes! You sure started us off on a tough one Rick :D 

15. Rick Higgins

Rick Higgins

Mar 8, 2018
    Sorry about this, I even sent a message to Nikon technical help 2 weeks ago, and as of today they haven't responded.

16. Are you looking at files on the camera screen, or down loaded to your computer?

17. Rick Higgins

Rick Higgins

Mar 8, 2018
    I'm looking for a separate folder after I download them. But this does bring up a good question. I plug in the cable into the side of the camera and use Lightroom to download the files. How do you download your files, using Lightroom or a separate QXD card reader?

18. I use a Sony card reader. On the camera playback menu, under "Playback Folder" what option do you have picked?

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 17.09.40.

19. I connect the camera to a Windows computer. Nikon Transfer does not show the folder structure, just all the files on the card. If one looks at the folder structure on the card one sees this:
    DSC_1102.

Each of the folders, except the lowest numbered one, was created using shift focus.

Larry

20. Rick Higgins

Rick Higgins

Mar 8, 2018
    I'm sorry to say Nick, that's how I have it setup

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.