Nikon D90 Battery Grip?

hey up, first time post so please excuse my n00bness :)

got myself a nikon d90 and i want to buy myself a batery grip

i was thinking of getting the proper nikon d80/90 battery grip for £180 inc spare battery. But after googling about i have seen a lot of other makes for a much lower price

any recommendation?!

I have the Nikon grip. The only thing the Chinese knockoffs offer is a cheaper price. Why do you think they cost less? When it comes to accessories that make electrical connections I prefer to buy Nikon. Others will take a chance to save a few bucks. It's you decision how to spend your money. GH

I just bought the Nikon MB-D10 as well and I love it. Even though my hands are small the grip makes my D90 and heavy Sigma lens feel much more balanced and stable.

After what we spend on our cameras, the few extra bucks for the Nikon product was worth it to me.

I have a MB-D80 Nikon grip and I still disagree with GH41 completely. Adorama has a third party grip for about $80 and I don't think I have ever heard a bad thing about it.....however I went for the Nikon because 1. Resale value will hold up really well since it's Nikon, and 2...the only downfall to the third party grip is that it didn't feel as sturdy as the MB-D80.

If you think Nikon is sooo bad and cheap why don't you buy another brand camera??? I don't understand the bashing that goes on in forums like this! Don't buy Nikon if you think they are cheap! Put your money where your mouth is. GH

If you think Nikon is sooo bad and cheap why don't you buy another brand camera??? I don't understand the bashing that goes on in forums like this! Don't buy Nikon if you think they are cheap! Put your money where your mouth is. GH
well the D90 came out then the D5000 witch is lower on totem pole but the D5000 has features added the d90 does not have

and these are fuetures that i actualy want, the the D5000 is the frist non pro grade camera with those features

so by your logic i should buy a new camera and down grade???? seems kinda pointless

that would be like a d600 coming out but had better/added features then the D700

the D5000 also has live RGB histograms, wouldn't mind having that on my HIGHER modle MORE expensive D90.

for the record i never said nikon was bad

Andrew, Don't take my post the wrong way. I just get tired of the Nikon bashing. I know this analogy is a stretch but you can't compare the D1 to a D5000. It's not like they introduced the D1 and D5000 on the same day. If we are still around in 5 years niether of us would pay 10 bucks for a D90. Technology changes fast these days. GH

Andrew, Don't take my post the wrong way. I just get tired of the Nikon bashing. I know this analogy is a stretch but you can't compare the D1 to a D5000. It's not like they introduced the D1 and D5000 on the same day. If we are still around in 5 years niether of us would pay 10 bucks for a D90. Technology changes fast these days. GH
right but the D300 and up has theses features and the D90, most like the D300, why did a lesser camera (d5000) get the features the D90 did not get? see what i mean

it not just one thing there

i'm just tweaked that to get the feture i want i need to down grade my camera and lose flash commander, or upgrade for TWO TIMES the money. Jut not right.

Where I can, I try to stay same brand. Reliability is assured and if there is any problems you avoid the finger pointing that comes from mixed vendor gear.

Short story but relevant:

My folks bought new carpeting from Sears. The carpet started falling apart pretty shortly. Sears came out and made their inspection. Told the folks that they were sorry but there was nothing that they could do about it. There was nothing wrong with the carpet and that obviously Moms vacuum cleaner had destroyed the carpet. Mom goes to the guest closet and pulls out her Kenmore vacuum and says "you're telling me that this ruined my carpet?" Wasn't long before they had a new carpet.

Stick with the Nikon and do yourself a favor.

since we are on the subject i was looking at this

http://www.amazon.com/Timer-Vertica...NV0Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1248728076&sr=8-3

since nikon is to cheap and skipped the "time lapse" option in the D90 but put it in the D5000 :mad:

I bought the (apparently) identical model for substantially less:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Battery-Gri...gers?hash=item35a120ce42&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Seller has great feedback. I've done a couple of other transactions with them and everything has been exactly as listed. The grip arrived within about a week and works great!

....... Mom goes to the guest closet and pulls out her Kenmore vacuum and says "you're telling me that this ruined my carpet?" Wasn't long before they had a new carpet.

Hehehehe, I would love to have seen his face :)

Where I can, I try to stay same brand. Reliability is assured and if there is any problems you avoid the finger pointing that comes from mixed vendor gear.

Short story but relevant:

My folks bought new carpeting from Sears. The carpet started falling apart pretty shortly. Sears came out and made their inspection. Told the folks that they were sorry but there was nothing that they could do about it. There was nothing wrong with the carpet and that obviously Moms vacuum cleaner had destroyed the carpet. Mom goes to the guest closet and pulls out her Kenmore vacuum and says "you're telling me that this ruined my carpet?" Wasn't long before they had a new carpet.

IMO, your story proves the opposite of what you intend: that is, why aftermarket stuff is fine. A mfr may try this stunt, but they'll have a hard time proving an aftermarket product caused a problem absent obvious damage directly related to it.

Where does one draw the line? I select a camera brand based on the totality of (quality) accessories available. I've heard "That new Olympus\Pentax\Sony is a great camera." Mebbe so, but Tokina, Tamron or Sigma lens choices in mounts besides Nikon and Canon are _way_ more limited. The Tokina 12-24 ATX, for example, is by every report, a very good lens, at about half the selling price of the equivalent Nikkor. Insert your favorite example here.

Metz makes extremely high-quality flash units, and has for decades. The 58-series has just been rebranded with a Leica logo http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09021711leicasf58flash.asp - In my tests, the Nikon version compares very favorably with the SB-800, and I was able to find one NIB, full warranty, for $260 (after a $40 rebate). Should I never consider anything other than an SB-?00?

Would you never use a Pocket Wizard or Radio Popper because it interfaces with your camera's electronics but isn't a Nikon brand?

How about aftermarket filters? Ever use a Hoya, B&W or other quality brand? If you cross-thread one onto your Nikkor lens, is it the filter's fault?

Or even older, non-AF Nikkors? Some of these can damage a digital body if you attempt to mount them. Would you never use any lens other than the latest Nikkor AFS DX G-whatever?

The grip in question cost me about $80 delivered, works wonderfully and includes an intervalometer not available on the Nikon unit - which, delivered, is twice the price.

Larry,

You seem to have taken that personal.

My apologies - I probly did.

I do tire of mfrs trying to finger-point at the other party instead of taking responsibility for their own mistakes. We all make 'em :redface: But between fear of liability and of admitting they could ever possibly be wrong, it seems more companies than not act like this. I'm unwilling to restrict myself to Nikon-branded products to avoid that - and I'm willing to take the responsibility if something goes up in smoke because of my actions.

A software vendor opened a gigantic security hole at one of my client sites. We found it, notified the client, closed the hole, documented everything and provided copies to the client. They forwarded our findings to the vendor, whose reply was, "We didn't do it and it will never happen again." :mad::mad::mad::mad: Who did they think they were kidding?

Larry,

I come from a networking background. We were running one brand of file servers and another brand on network card in them. We were having problems and both parties just kept pointing their finger at the other. Finally in desperation we bought the cards sold by the mfr of our servers. Problem still existed, but now they owned the problem. I can still hear my supervisor of the time saying that never again are we mixing vendors.

Parts of what we both said are true and I don't always follow my own advise....

Larry,

I come from a networking background. We were running one brand of file servers and another brand on network card in them. We were having problems and both parties just kept pointing their finger at the other. Finally in desperation we bought the cards sold by the mfr of our servers. Problem still existed, but now they owned the problem. I can still hear my supervisor of the time saying that never again are we mixing vendors.

Parts of what we both said are true and I don't always follow my own advise....

Aha. I explain to my clients over & over that we now use heterogeneous platforms to accomplish business-critical tasks that once ran on 'Big Iron' where the hardware, OS, and oftentimes applications all came from the same vendor. Even then you occasionally had some finger-pointing go on, but since they reported to and were compensated by the same company, one just had to find the point of convergence to resolve it.

Today's computing platforms are more like helicopters - more a collection of parts operating in loose formation than aircraft. Sometimes it amazes me that they work as well as they do.

And I shouldn't post when my blood sugar is questionable - I'm a lot more testy when hungry. Again, my apologies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom