Nikon D90 is Official!!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by NikoMacItec, Aug 27, 2008.

1. morcguy

morcguy

Dec 29, 2006
    Minnesota
    So the way I read the specs, it does have the AF motor in-camera?

edit - yes- confirmed in the DP Review preview.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  2. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    I'm sure it does. They wouldn't remove that from their upper end consumer line. People buying a D90 are upper amateurs that may have older lens collections... the D40/D60 crowd is the P&S converts looking for a bit more camera with the possibility of buying more lenses. They don't have investment where the D90 demographic might.

The spec sheet definitely lists AF type lenses as fully compatible.

3. The HD video is 720p and you can watch the video on the first link I put up.

4. According to DP Review it will be on sale at the end of September...

5. Looks that way. But won't auto-meter with older AI and AI-S lenses.

6. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    I'll be getting one!

7. Overall, it's a large advancement on the D80. But disappointing items to me.

1) It appears to have the same sensors as the D80. 11 points, only the center one being cross-type. It has the 3D AF tracking of the D300/D700/D3, but it'll have to make due with those 11. Read: I don't think it'll autofocus as well as an D300, even when that one is only using 11 points. We'll see how tests pan out.

2) HD video at 720p with 24 fps is intriguing.

But it doesn't auto-focus after you start shooting the video -- you can change focus while recording, but you have to do it manually.

Sure, manual focusing video produces nice effects. And continuous autofocus might kill battery life. But it'd be better if it continually auto-focused using LiveView and had a manual focus override for the effects.

3) Sound is only monaural, not stereo.

8. Wow! That's really cool. Nikon is on a roll! Just when you think that they've come out with all they've got, here comes another one. Video in a dslr. Innovative!

9. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    I could have a lot of fun with the recording, and a CMOS sensor!

10. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Me too! It's good that I've been practice my manual focus, now it will come in handy. Full 720p resolution for the win!

11. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    The video mode works with VR, which is super useful for video recording. The quality of the video is very, very high.

12. neimac

neimac

May 26, 2008
    Idaho
    Im really considering upgrading my D50 with this camera, the video part of this camera makes it so much more tempting too. I can replace my old video camera with this thing too!!!:biggrin:

13. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    Other disappointments:
    1. The GPS tagging requires an external unit. Fortunately, Nikon is going to produce a hot shoe mountable GPS unit.
    2. It doesn't have the lens AF fine tuning found in the D3/D300/D700.
    3. It uses the MB-80. I'd hoped it would either use the MB-10 or a new grip. I dislike the existing one because it requires too much fiddling to install and because it doesn't have a d-pad.
    4. Video doesn't support an external mic or allow autofocus.
    5. It uses yet a different NEF format.
    6. Unless I'm mistaken, NEFs are limited to 12 bits, like the D80, instead of 14 like the D300, etc.

I was happy to see:
    1. It has an info screen on the main, rear display. I've wanted that on my D80 when shooting in the dark and shooting with the camera upside down under a tripod.
    2. 720p. Cool.
    3. Live view.
    4. Improved shutter life.
    5. 4.5 FPS.

14. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    well in cinema manual focus is the common thing to do anyway. it's easy to manual focus using liveview, which gives you shallower DoF than the viewfinder.

15. Chris01ZX6R

Chris01ZX6R

Jul 25, 2008
    NJ
    Well number one I think the camera is awesome and I want one now. Two how did they get live view and video? I alway thought it would be easy to get live view or video with a DSLR if they just locked the mirror up and used an electronic shutter like a p&s when you wanted to use them.

16. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    I can probably keep this smile on my face until I see the price at B&H.