Nikon - desperately need smaller lens!

Real Name
Maurie Hill
Instead of using my collection of Leica mount lenses, I really really really want Mr & Mrs Nikon to make a baby Nikkor. Ideally a 40 0r 45mm f2 +/- pancake lens for my lovely little Z7. I have the big gnarly DSLRs and the delightful, but heavy 2.8 Zooms and the usual primes; but pretty please Nikon you gave us the gorgeous little alternative then plonked gargantuan lenses on it!

Real Name
Andrew
I doubt it will happen, the what most people would call "small" lenses - especially not zooms. I have my doubts that anyone will be able to make an FX sensor size lens f/2.8 or wider with the z-mount. The internet complains if you make an f/2.8 prime anymore, and they uproar over the DX z-mount lenses - 16-50 is 3.5-6.3 and the 50-250 is a 4.5-6.3,

if they get bigger, "they" will complain.

Not just Nikon, but every camera company is damned.

I think we'll have some options before too long. As mentioned, 28 and 40mm compacts are on the roadmap, and I'll buy both the day they come out. I also have the DX 16-50mm lens as a small option on my Z6, but I suspect I'll sell it when the FX 24-50mm lens comes out -- that lens is rumored to be small and collapsible, like the 16-50, but also slow and likely pretty cheap feeling. Still, these are options, and I welcome them.

My previous plan was to get the Techart adapter and then add the Sony/Zeiss 35mm 2.8, but that ended up feeling a little pricey for one lens.

I think we'll have some options before too long. As mentioned, 28 and 40mm compacts are on the roadmap, and I'll buy both the day they come out. I also have the DX 16-50mm lens as a small option on my Z6, but I suspect I'll sell it when the FX 24-50mm lens comes out -- that lens is rumored to be small and collapsible, like the 16-50, but also slow and likely pretty cheap feeling. Still, these are options, and I welcome them.

My previous plan was to get the Techart adapter and then add the Sony/Zeiss 35mm 2.8, but that ended up feeling a little pricey for one lens.
Where'd you see an FX 24-50? I've seen a 24-105S on the roadmap but not a 24-50. Just curious.

Cross your fingers that Samyang will port their AF primes to the Z mount. Their 18/24/35 2.8 and 45/75 1.8 lenses are the most compact and lightweight FF lenses for mirrorless right. If not, hopefully Nikon releases their 28 and 40 lenses sooner than later.

Last edited:
I am waiting for smaller primes, too.

Currently the Z series shows that they can make better lenses with the new mount. That is great for professionals.

I normally use my Pen F with either the 12/2 or 20mm lens, because it so easy to carry around when I take a walk with my three year old :).

I would love to move to the Z series to replace my D600, but I want to have a few small lens options available. I wish they could get close in size to the old 50/1.8D (or 35/2.0D). Hopefully that will happen in the next year or two.

Cross your fingers that Samyang will port their AF primes to the Z mount. their 18/24/35 2.8 and 45/75 1.8 lenses are the most compact and lightweight FF lenses for mirrorless right. If not, hopefully Nikon releases their 28 and 40 lenses sooner than later.
I suppose one option in the meantime would be to get an adapter and then use some of these small lenses from their Sony or Canon lineups. They do look pretty reasonably priced. If for some reason Nikon abandons the 28 and 40mm compacts, I think that's what I'll do.

I suppose one option in the meantime would be to get an adapter and then use some of these small lenses from their Sony or Canon lineups. They do look pretty reasonably priced. If for some reason Nikon abandons the 28 and 40mm compacts, I think that's what I'll do.
Only problem is that I tested Samyang's small primes using the TZE-01 E to Z adapter and they don't work! The Samyang 35/50/85 f/1.4 AF prime lenses work, but not the small 2.8 and 1.8 glass. You'll have to rely on Sony's 28 f/2, 35 2.8 or 50 1.8 FF lenses if you want compact. Tamron's Sony mount 20/24/35 2.8 lenses also seem to work with the TZE-01 adapter, but they rely on a 67mm filter size.

I'm a big fan of Canon's 40mm f/2.8 STM, but the EF to Z adapters add a bit of bulk, so size-wise it becomes closer to a 50mm 1.8 G lens on a Z body. It's still compact, but not pancake sized.

Last edited:
I have a nice compact camera in the Z7, the 24-70/4 is a fairly compact zoom and gives excellent results, but the primes are just huge, so along with the OP I would ask Mr & Mrs Nikon to come up with some smaller primes, lenses to go with the design ethos of Mirrorless.

The 24-50mm lens has been announced, and it does look nice and small. As I said earlier, I'll be selling my DX 16-50mm lens to get this new one. I don't care about the plastic mount or the 6.3 on the long end, because I'll always have my 24-70mm to turn to if I need it. But this new lens looks like a nice small option.

Now we need the compact primes to come out!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom