Nikon Digiscoping (long)

Hey Everybirdy,

Having recently been asked to join the Nikon ProStaff Birding Team, to which of course, I said "Yes!" :biggrin: , I've been trying to get back in the swing of digiscoping. It's not a paying gig, just more or less getting out there and sporting Nikon optics and eventually doing some digiscoping demos here and there. Has nothing to do with cameras :frown:, other than the Nikon Coolpix P3 that attaches to my scope.
While there are undoubtedly, differences between SLR shooting and digiscoping, I'm going to do my best to try and lessen those differences.

So far I'm still stuck in D70 land as far as DSLR and limited to 6 mp, the Coolpix P3 is 8.1 mp and has VR, which I don't yet use since I'm still in the "getting to know" stages of the camera and set-up.
Please feel free to let me know what you think. IN the future I'll always identify if I'm posting digiscope images and will more than likely just use the term in the title as well so you won't always have to ask as there may not be much difference in regard to my DSLR shooting!! :eek: :biggrin:

The whole set-up, for anyone who's curious, is a Nikon 80mm ED Fieldscope, an FSB-4 bracket with a release cord, 30 DS wide angel eyepiece and the Nikon Coolpix P3 and (for the moment) it's stacked on a Slik Pro400DX tripod.
A few recent shots, digiscoped :rolleyes: , of course!
Glossy Ibis
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Green-winged Teal
View attachment 87552
Northern Pintail
View attachment 87553
Wilson's Snipe
View attachment 87554
American Bittern
View attachment 87555
Great Horned Owlets
View attachment 87556
Mama Great Horned Owl
View attachment 87557
Bald Eaglets
View attachment 87558
Mama Bald Eagle
View attachment 87559

Hi Thomas,

I was checking out this kit a few weeks ago at Ritz. I would be very interested in your sample images. I can't swing a 500mm yet, but this definitely has possibilities. My son is interested too!

Thanks everyone for checking it out. I'm seeing some progress from when I first started with the system.

The web site states the focal length of my system at 3420mm!!! I imagine that's at full digital zoom. I'm still trying to find the sweet spots, but I've been getting good results keeping it within the 3.5X optical zoom. Of course, since I've had the system I think I've had a total of maybe 5 or 6 days with wiinds less than 10 mph!! :mad: As you can imagine, at these focal lengths wind plays a huge factor and thus, your tripod matters a whole lot.
I've got several other images on my site:
http://www.pbase.com/boidpikchas/nikon_digiscope_system

But you can check out the specs here:
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/digiscope.php?group=15&subgroup=152&num=1

I'm not a direct saleman for the stuff, but I do get points ( a sort of contest type thing), and I am an endorser :rolleyes: of um....pretty much all Nikon products :biggrin: as aren't we pretty much all?
However, please forgive me if this has in any way crossed the line as far as the ethics of this forum is concerned.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Very nice images from a digiscope.

I have a Swarovski 80HD and would like to try digiscopy. Now need to find a suitable P&S and get the settings right, so I'm very interested in your work.

Very nice images from a digiscope.

I have a Swarovski 80HD and would like to try digiscopy. Now need to find a suitable P&S and get the settings right, so I'm very interested in your work.

Thanks Phil. I don't know Swar's bracket compatability with other P & S's. ALthough I did just mention in a PM to someone about Nikon having an adaptor for the dSLR's as well, for their scopes. The drawback to this besides the manual focus, whcih isn't so terrible, but I don't know what shutterspeeds you'd have to use with such immense focal lengths. sure sounds like it'd be fun to try though!

Quite some time ago I tried going down this road but soon gave it up as for wildlife I found the subjects don't stay still long enough for a good photo. I than commited my self to the Sigma 800MM and have never looked back but I do have adaptors for my 80MM Kenco telescope to take both Nikon and Pentax SLR cameras either digital or film. I also do some eagle work with a buddy on the Hudson River and he shoots viedo and that is the way to go if you really want to reach out and not worry about the subject moving and a good still can be taken from it also. A good one is advised though.I wwould think if you have a good scope and want to try it than get the Nikon P3 as right now I do think this is the best for this type of photography anf not have you morgage the house.
Lou

Latest threads

Top Bottom