Nikon DK-17M Magnifying Eyepiece, is it worth it?

Has anyone here got this on their D3 or D300? im interested putting on my D700, when i get it, I want to use for manual focusing.

Any thoughts, reviews or advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried it before on my D70s and the D300, and it was really not helpful. I would say skip it if your are just trying to use it with MF lenses. The Katz Eye focusing works really good, and is what I use on the D300 now but I do not know I they are going to manufacture one for the D700. They never did for the D3, at least so far....

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

Yes, but not for bodies like D300. But for the bodies its designed to fit like D2-3 and probebly the D700 (by the looks of it) its a good aid. I wouldnt bother cluttering up the D3/D700 VF with a katzeye or similar.

Thanks Paul & Byron, from the looks of it, it will work on the D700, just downloaded the D700 lit and its there as an accessory.

Are there any other alternatives that are better than the DK-17m?

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

Thanks Paul & Byron, from the looks of it, it will work on the D700, just downloaded the D700 lit and its there as an accessory.

Are there any other alternatives that are better than the DK-17m?

Well then it will work!

Not for magnifying no. But remember its a matter of personal preference.

I removed my Katzeye, cause i dont find splitprism helpful for longer lenses (above 35mm) and those rare occasitions it will i pay the price for having a clean VF.

I can understand the use of Katzeye as a focusin aid on DX cameras, but with the real estate in the VF on the D3/and similar on the D700 i find it useless and would only be in the way. I like a clean VF with no focus points, since i rely on my eye, and not the focus indicator.

I use olympus ME-1 magnifier eyecup instead of DK-17M on my D300. Works well for manual len.:smile:

C

clew

I moved the DK-17M from the D2x over to the D3. I don't know that it adds much to an already excellent viewfinder.

S

scooptdoo

can someone post a view finder pic of a katz eye screen vs stock nikon d300 screen.not so much intrested in seeing a brighter screen as i am intrested in the layout.will my grid lines still work?

Latest threads

Top Bottom