Nikon DL cameras announced

If someone - I'm looking at you, Ikelite - made a decent underwater housing, the DL18-50 might make a great diving camera on a (relative) budget.

I don't understand why Nikon doesn't just leaf frog 5 years and put a bigger aps-c sensor in it as well as a decent viewfinder. They should have gone strait after the Fuji x100 market.

I don't understand why Nikon doesn't just leaf frog 5 years and put a bigger aps-c sensor in it as well as a decent viewfinder. They should have gone strait after the Fuji x100 market.
X2
Doesn't this kinda make the Nikon 1 series less relevant ?

JPS

IMO, once again, Nikon doesn't give a $hit of its customers ! All those, already DSLR users, who have invested -quite a lot of $$$, knowing the price of the CX lens-, instead of perfectionning the Nikon 1 system, while USING those excellent CX lens, is making a brand new serie, moreover with FIXED lens !?!

Nikon, I won't follow you on that one !

:(

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I think the Nikon 1 series is dead with this announcement. as for the DL cameras, I think they would have med much better sense if they had introduced them as one camera with exchangeable lenses mount and with three different lens options, 18-50, 24-85 and 35-135, and if demand was great add an adapter to be able to use other Nikon lenses as well (read the F1.8 series of primes...).

For me the 24-85 looks interesting but it has no viewfinder included (?) and the RX100 does......

Real Name
David
I think the Nikon 1 series is dead with this announcement. as for the DL cameras, I think they would have med much better sense if they had introduced them as one camera with exchangeable lenses mount and with three different lens options, 18-50, 24-85 and 35-135, and if demand was great add an adapter to be able to use other Nikon lenses as well (read the F1.8 series of primes...).

For me the 24-85 looks interesting but it has no viewfinder included (?) and the RX100 does......
I body with an 18-50 & 35-135 would be nice. But the 18-50 does look interesting to me.

I think they looked at the success Sony has had with the RX-1, RX-100, and to a lesser degree RX-10 series and decided to jump in. Sony is a nice test case in the trade-offs made when going fixed lens vs. interchangeable. A Sony A7IIr with FE35/2.8 lens is much bigger than the RX1RII, and the fixed lens is substantially better across the frame, much better out of focus rendering, one stop faster, and always is perfectly aligned to the sensor. Similarly the RX-100 has had 2 lenses, with the second trading range for speed at the long end. I hope they continue to develop the Nikon1 system for interchangeable lenses, and the DL as their premier fixed lens models. Then make an FX mirrorless with new wide throat short flange mount and an F-mount adapter pretty please :geek:

I have a feeling that even though I use Sony almost exclusively now, the Nikon cameras will be better. The ergo's and controls are better. The ranges are useful, the AF is almost certainly better, and Nikon always executes exposure and WB better, with nicer out of camera JPEGs. Sony's flash system sucks compared to Nikon too. I'm really considering upgrading my RX-100 v1 to a DL camera, and can't wait to slap my SB-400 on top. Regarding the lack of pop-up EVF, it's a bummer, but that takes up room that may have been necessary to get the optics and other electronics into the body size they were aiming for.

Have you ever used that pop up VF on the RX ? It's pretty horrendous.

I just gave up on Nikon and mirrorless and picked up a Sony. The scary thing is I can get a full kit with good glass for about what the new D5 costs and step up to the A7r2 at 42 mp. I think that when this is all done I will be Sony and medium format and leave Nikon behind. Been shooting it since 72 so that is a long time.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
No I haven't used the EVF on the RX so you got me there, I'm just idealizing what I would want want he perfect camera...

What I think is very important to me is the usual stuff: good fast lenses, great IQ at low iso, decent at higher, great ergonomics that you can just pick up and go with if you are used to Nikons DSLRs

But it needs to be as fast as a DSLR, start up quickly, shoot when you press the shutter release, and be ready for the next one to differentiate form a smartphone (until they can do it too), which means a very fast AF, reasonably good tracking, and so on. In short almost professional level performance and ergonomics

I will be waiting for reviews before I buy one....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom