1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon ED AF-I Nikkor 600mm 1:4 D any good?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by empty80, Aug 10, 2009.

1. empty80

empty80

Mar 31, 2009
    Norway
    Hey

I am looking for a telelens, and first I was thinking of saving up for a 400mm f2.8 VR. That is going to take a while cause the price here in Norway are about 13000$.

Then I saw someone that is trying to sell Nikon ED AF-I Nikkor 600mm 1:4 D not far from me to the price of 2800$. As you can see thats a big different moneywise, but its also an oldtype of lens.

Is the 600mm "worth" to buy? I guess its a quite good lens, but its missing VR (for 4 more stops), its "only" f4 and its bigger and heavier that the 400mm. I like the 400mm f2.8 cause of the VR, f2.8 and you can put a 1.4 teleconverter so that you have a 600mm f4 with VR. But still its about 10 grand more to my wallet, and its going to be hard to convince my better halv to agree on a lens that costs that much :) 

Any suggestions?

Edit: Forgot to tell that is shall be on a D3.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Hi welcome to the cafe.
    Heck yes, get the 600 4 ED-IF D. It's a fine lens that will give amazing shots. And with all the money you save , you can buy a Wimberly head and a huge Gitzo carbon fiber tripod which will do more than VR, IMO to ensure razor sharp images. Plus you might be needing a bag and a TC.14 ...OO

The best advice I ever heard about buying a $10,000 600 F4 is as follows . Take 15 pound sack of potatoes and throw ten grand into a bag . Now carry it around every where you go. Oh ya , sling the the tripod and the wimberly head over your shoulder with you to.:wink: Your going to need it. If after a week you still want the 600 f4 than it's hopless. Get the lens:tongue:
    '
    Have fun, and don't let anyone talk you into the 500 mm. Stick to your first choice the nikkor 600 4 ED-IF is the one and only.

3. c6530

c6530

Aug 15, 2008
    Norway
    Hei,

This is purely off the top of my head, so sorry if I've got it wrong. Is this the one with the older type of built-in focus motor? If so, I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is weaker than the new AFS type and that it is difficult if not impossible to repair since Nikon no longer has the parts.

I really should check before posting, so sorry if I'm making a fool of myself here. If so, I expect somobody will be along to set matters straight!

4. Messiah Khan

Messiah Khan Guest

Yeah, AF-I is the older version of AF-S. It should be a great lens (although I have no experience of it it), but as c6530 says, make sure it is in good condition as it may be hard to repair if something goes wrong.

5. empty80

empty80

Mar 31, 2009
    Norway
    Thanks for the inputs!

Anyone knows how much slower and louder the AF-I system are vs the AF-S? I talked to the guy that sells it and I am most likely going there tomorrow and do a little test before I deside. If its good, I guess I gonna buy it and if I want to upgrade, it shouldnt be that hard to sell it without loosing too much value.

6. Sounds like good deal the actual focus speed isn't any slower in real terms having owned a couple of the AFI 600's the thing to look out for is make sure it's got both lens hoods and all the switches are working including the AF MF, in fact with the exchange rate pound against the dollar it seems an excellent bargain, the lenses autofocus isn't particularly noisy just louder than the AFS type of lenses.

very few parts are still available for these lenses so make sure everything seems fine.

Wouldn't mind it myself

Phil.

7. empty80

empty80

Mar 31, 2009
    Norway
    Its at home now!

I went there yesterday to try it out and everything seemed OK, AF worked and all the buttons worked. Tested it and I must say: WOW!! Its an amazing lens, and I cant wait to really try it out to see how it perform.

The little I tested was more than enought to figure that I couldnt just say no to that price!

So thanks for the advises and I will cya soon with some photos :) 

Harald

8. Messiah Khan

Messiah Khan Guest

Congratulations on the new lens! Hope you have fun with it and post some shots up. Where abouts in Norway do you live? I lived in Norway for 10 years in Langesund near Skien. Seems like another lifetime now, but would love to go back and visit again sometime. :smile:

9. empty80

empty80

Mar 31, 2009
    Norway
    I live not far from Tønsberg, about 1 hour and 15 min from Skien. And I will post some shots when I get the time to drag this monster out in the field :)  (got 2 small kids so I dont have too much time on my own)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.