Nikon EN-EL15 batteries only charging halfway

I shoot D850, D800, both use EN-EL15 batteries. I shoot a lot and long hours daily, so batteries are critical to my workflow.

So I carry 5 batteries: including 3 older, one newer and one brand-new EN-EL15c. I noticed the older batteries only charge 1/2 way. Three weeks ago I even purchased a new battery trying to make sure I have enough backup battery power.

I’ve checked the charger for anything preventing good contacts and connection, no problems seen. I do occasionally keep a battery charging overnight, but usually I keep a close eye and swap out batteries in the charger.

Now — ALL the batteries charge only 1/2 way. Actually when the charger light turns green, the camera only show 2bars on the charge indicator — that’s ALL the old and new batteries,

So now I have 5 batteries which will only charge less than 50%. I’ve shot for years not having this problem, but now I’m in panic that I’ll not have enough juice for upcoming jobs.

What do you suggest? How can I get a full charge out of the batteries? Can I revitalize the new batteries.

Real Name
Carl

I shoot D850, D800, both use EN-EL15 batteries. I shoot a lot and long hours daily, so batteries are critical to my workflow.

So I carry 5 batteries: including 3 older, one newer and one brand-new EN-EL15c. I noticed the older batteries only charge 1/2 way. Three weeks ago I even purchased a new battery trying to make sure I have enough backup battery power.

I’ve checked the charger for anything preventing good contacts and connection, no problems seen. I do occasionally keep a battery charging overnight, but usually I keep a close eye and swap out batteries in the charger.

Now — ALL the batteries charge only 1/2 way. Actually when the charger light turns green, the camera only show 2bars on the charge indicator — that’s ALL the old and new batteries,

So now I have 5 batteries which will only charge less than 50%. I’ve shot for years not having this problem, but now I’m in panic that I’ll not have enough juice for upcoming jobs.

What do you suggest? How can I get a full charge out of the batteries? Can I revitalize the new batteries.
Have you tried another charger? I used to have only the Nikon EN EL 15 charger, which has never given me a problem. My wife gave me a battery charger and two aftermarket batteries for Christmas one year. Fortunately, never a problem with the charger, but the batteries, although higher Mah than the factory battery, generally give me ~3-400 exposures before needing recharging. But, that is a good day's shooting for me, so I just carry a spare.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom