Nikon EN-EL3 battery recall

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Frits, Nov 8, 2005.

1. FYI,

Here is a link to the CPSC (U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission) announcement of a Nikon battery recall: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06023.html
    The battery in question is the Li-ion EN-EL3, used on the D100, D70 and D50.

Some more detail on Nikon USA WebPage: http://www.nikonusa.com/home.php (first item (EN-EL3) in first column "Photography" will produce a pop-up with S/N info, replacement request form etc.).

2. Well I have the lot number 49AA on my battery. It is my only battery though so I am reluctant to send it in.

Could be time for a spare.

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'd send it in, better that than a fire in your camera, especially if it is in the closet at home with no one there.
    The recall made the local news at noon......

4. A friend of mine picked up her camera at the Nikon Service Center down here in El Segundo this morning and I told her about the battery recall while driving into work.

Nikon exchanged the battery for her when she picked up the camera...

No problems.. Also it is the new EN-EL3a battery used in the D70s...

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I checked all 3 of mine this morning, I was kinda hoping they were in the recall, I'd love to get 3 new 3a's with 0 cycles........

6. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Ray,

Nikon is giving us two options. After filing in their form you can either print out a UPS label from their web site, send them your battery, and wait 7-10 days for the replacement or give them your credit card info and have them send you another battery. As long as you send them the recalled battery within 30 days they won't charge your CC.

-Gene A

7. Yipe, one of mine is covered. And it was in my D70, which mostly just sits these days. With that battery in it.

8. thanks for the heads up! will have to go take a peek!

9. Looks like I'll be getting a EN-EL3a replacement for my EN-EL3.

Does anyone know if the charger for the original EN-EL3 D70 battery will work with the EN-EL3a ? I assume it must. I have both a D70 and a D70s, and the chargers are different so I have been careful not to interchange them so far.

10. Actually, it might be an EN-EL3e (that's what they sent me...I received it last Thursday!) It can be charged in any of the D100 or D70 chargers and can be used in the D70, D70s or D100. And of course in the D200 as well :biggrin:

11. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    What's the difference??

Just got my replacement battery today, EN-EL3e. Anybody know the difference between EN-EL3 and the EN-EL3e? Is there even a difference? Thanks.

12. I got my replacement battery today. It is an EN-EL3e battery, rated for 1500 mAh. I believe the EN-EL3 that came with the D70 was a 1200 mAh, while the EN-EL3a that came with the D70s is also 1500 mAh. So the capacity is the same as the original D70s battery.

However, the manual for the EN-EL3e says "EN-EL3e rechargeable Li-ion batteries are equipped to supply compatible devices with a variety of information, including battery life and the number of shots taken (italics mine) since the battery was last charged".

Is the 'number of shots taken since the battery was last charged' a feature of the D200, or do some of the other higher-end Nikons (D2X?) have this feature?

13. If you search B&H for this e battery we received, it lists it as the D200's battery!

:tongue:

14. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    And mine's already charged and waiting for my D200:biggrin: