Nikon ES-2 finally shipping

I talked with B&H this morning and my ES-2 will be delivered tomorrow. While I won't be using it with a D850, it should work well with my D810 for many of the slides I've taken over the years. I'm looking forward to the Contax G2 slides of a pre-crowded Ankor Wat and trip to Rome, the thousands of Nikon F3hp shots from '70s and '80s western road trips and a barge tour of France and a few Nikonos shots from Grand Cayman.

I haven't seen any comments on the ES-2 here yet. Anyone have any experience and advice?

I have the 60 macro, a good LED light panel and those thousands of slides ready to go.

Been reading about this recently (the wife want's "us" to scan some (a lot?) of slides).
Anyone with some experience with it? How does it really work?
I understand it is optimized for a 60 micro, but does it mater if it is the newer and more expensive AF-S version, or will the older AF-D one work as well? And finally, what light source works best?

I used an LED light panel. I like the quality and consistency of the light. Even with the best slide film (Kodachrome 25, Fuji 50) the files I get with my D810 are a lot different than my usual RAW files. A lot less DR to work with and generally less resolution. The files remind me of the first digital files I got with an early Canon PnS, useable, but...

The ES-2 is probably a good bit better than my DIY system, but also more expensive.

Added in edit:

Nevertheless, I'm interested. Please tell us about your experience, Nick, if you do this.

I don't have a D850 or a 60mm macro. I would want to use it with my D7200 and 40mm or 85mm DX macro. I noticed the guy in the video was fiddling with the adapter-to-lens distance. I hope that once you get this set you can lock it so you don't have to readjust it for each change of slide.

Last edited:
Pretty neat....I used a Coolscan V for years and it did a great job but I am wondering if this might be better since I now have newer software to edit...Seems my old D300's are antique, but I am sure I could do this especially for slides. (plus I would have 100% viewfinder)

Read this on Nikon's tech site for the D850:

"We recommend using the Flat Picture Control and shooting in mode A at an aperture of around f/8. Should you notice flicker when shooting under fluorescent lighting or the like, try adjusting settings to slow shutter speed to the point that the flicker is eliminated. Matrix metering is recommended, although highlight-weighted metering can be used if you find that highlights are washed out. We also suggest using auto white balance, switching to a setting that matches the light source if auto white balance fails to produce the desired results."

I suspect this choice of Flat PC is ideal only if you use Nikon Capture NX-D to process your work.

Here is another Nikon site that may be helpful: Digitizing Film Using the D850 and ES-2 Negative Digitizer from Nikon

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, that's what got me started on this quest. Hoping for some Café opinions and advice.
While the Nikon device quite interesting you may get a little more flexibility with a simple home made device e. g.
As long as you have a decent macro (or even better a flat field lens) first rate results possible. Illumination flash, daylight, tungsten source through diffuser or LED panel or simple bounce card.

Not pretty but will save a few $ and can be modded to take different film size if needed

Want to get the ultimate scan then consider finding a 2:1 or 3:1 macro and scanning your film in sections and stitching - potentially as good as if not better than a dedicated drum scan
Best film scanner: Canon 5D Mark II vs Drum scanner vs Epson V700 – Addicted2light

Latest threads

Top Bottom