1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon exchange for non-repairable 80-200?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by carauction, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Wondering if I might get some opinions from forum members.

A couple of weeks ago I sent to Nikon my 80-200AF-D to repair a focus issue. As it turns out, they were not able to repair the lens back to factory specs, so they are offering me a refurbished 70-200VR.

I have already put in an insurance claim for the 80-200AF-D. I paid $675 used for the lens(I have the receipt). But then again, who knows how much of a hassle I will have with the insurance company to collect my $675.

Quite frankly, I am becoming happy with my prime lenses, and could probably do without a tele-zoom for my style shooting. I love Primes. Also, I am not crazy about the vingnetting issue that D3 owners have mentioned with the 70-200. And I shoot with a D3.

I know that getting a 70-200 refurb. directly from Nikon, is a nice commodity. VS. buying a refurb from a refurb dealer.

I am wondering if the insurance company does pay the claim, would they also want me to give them my 80-200 as well? I could always sell the lens as-is, stating the conditon. It is still perfectly useable...if you don't overly examine.

any feedback appreciated,

mike

2. I think this is a very fair trade, I'd go for it.

Generally once an insurance company settles, the item subject to the claim becomes their property (at least here in the UK), so you probably won't be able to dispose of the 80-200 as well. I think your best course of auction would be to take up Nikon on their offer, and cancel the claim?

3. Take the offer from Nikon. You'll be able to sell the 70-200 for more than the $675 if you don't like it.

Gary

4. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    wait a minute, Nikon is giving you a 70-200 VR in exchange for your 80-200 af-d and you wont have to pay a dime? Take it and run.

You'll be able to sell the 70-200 for 1300-1500 bucks if you dont like it, and from what i can tell the vignetting is not really that bad.

Congrats are in order me thinks!

5. Appreciate the feedback.

I have one problem, and perhaps it is just me. Nikon has always treated me extremely well. I am very picky about lenses. I don't know whether or not I am going to like the 70-200VR. I know, I know it is a great lens.

Just don't know how I will feel about selling the lens after getting it from Nikon. Kind of a moral issue.

Now, if I knew for certain that I could get my $675 from the insurance company, and I could sell the lens to a buyer after stating the defective condition....this would make for an easier decision.

Thanks again

Mike

6. Wow, i've never heard of something like this, you're lucky, go for it.

7. Nothing morally wrong with this at all! The vendor (Nikon) has offered you a replacement for something with no strings attached. If you like it, then keep it, if you don't then sell it. Thats what you would have done with your previous lens.

Gary

8. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Mike . I respect you not wanting to flip the glass from Nikon. Nikon has been good to me over the years as well. However, you might really like the 70-200 VR and than buy more new Nikkor in the futer. See that's there trap:tongue:.
    And if you decide you dont want the 70-200 VR in the futer, you could always trade with a cafe member for a fast primes:biggrin:. Im a Nikkor AIS to the bone, and even I will admit the 70-200 VR Nikkor is only slightly below my version of the 80-200 2.8 ED AIS:smile:.

Gregory

9. How are you getting service like this on a used lens? I am very confused.

Take that 70-200mm and run!

10. luke_28

luke_28

May 12, 2008
    North
    Take the 70-200. You can't really put in an insurance claim for the 80-200 if nikon is giving you a replacement. If the insurance company is paying you for a lens that doesn't work, then it becomes their broken lens.

Get the 70-200 and don't worry about the insurance. If you don't like it, sell it. I don't think that you are taking advantage of nikon if you do sell it. They offered you the replacement. jmo

11. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I'll buy your 70-200 for 900 bucks.

Enough money to buy a new 80-200 AF-D.

12. Take the 70-200. Sell the 80-200. Give the 70-200 to me! ;) 

No seriously, get it. If you don't like it, sell it. then get 2 more primes. :) 

13. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    What luke_28 said.

14. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I just had my 24-70mm replaced by insurance because the cost to repair it here in italy exceeded the price I paid for it. the insurance did not ask for the broken lens. what would they do with all the stuff they pay to replace?????? where would they keep it? why would they want to invest in resources to inspect trashed items?? When a car is totaled, do they make you send it to them? At whose expense? I'm not asking these questions facetiously, I'm completely serious for those people who said their insurers ask for the broken stuff. I didn't know that it happened!!!! I could imagine if they performed their own estmates for repair, but in the case where an outside person does it...???

so i'd say get the 70-200 since that's your option. if you don't like it sell it. if you feel dishonest, give the insurance company the difference between what you paid and what you earned by reselling the lens!!

;-)

15. [QUOTE=luke_28;2007030]Take the 70-200. You can't really put in an insurance claim for the 80-200 if nikon is giving you a replacement. If the insurance company is paying you for a lens that doesn't work, then it becomes their broken lens.

Think you misunderstood. If I take Nikon's 70-200, I will NOT be putting in a claim. Matter of fact, I believe that Nikon will NOT return my 80-200 to me that they presently have in their posession.

Get the 70-200 and don't worry about the insurance. If you don't like it, sell it. I don't think that you are taking advantage of nikon if you do sell it. They offered you the replacement. jmo[/QUOTE]

Thanks Luke

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.