Nikon Extended Warranty...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cougar8045, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    I am still waiting for my D200 since it is on back order. However, I notice Nikon do sell Extended service warranty for the D200 thru authorize dealer. Has anyone bought it?? Is it worth $90 for the 2 extra years of warranty?

Looking forward to hear some feedback.

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I bought it on each of ours, but thankfully have not needed it! The best type of insurance is that which is never used!

The cost of ANYTHING NIKON in the repair area will make this $90 a bargain.

3. Yes it is, I got the Nikon warranty for my D200.

4. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    According to Nikon, you must purchase within 10 days of the D200 purchase. I missed this tidbit, and don't have the warranty.

5. Hmmm I was not aware of this, is it only for Nikon US?

6. Available in Canada as well, I did not take it for the D2Hs - the extended warranty also covers the cost of two complete yearly service free of charge :smile:

Should have taken it.

7. If you purchased the camera with a credit card it doubles your warranty for free. Check with your credit card company. My D200 needed repair two months past its warranty and my MasterCard covered the repair cost.

Anthony

8. I didn't see that on Nikon's web site. Do you have a link, or was this based on an email/phone call to Nikon?

9. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Either they changed their policy, or I read it on B&H Photo's site. Looking now, it must be purchased prior to the original warranty expiration. They do not offer this warranty on their pro models, but do on the D200 and lower.

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I was on the phone with Melvile about a service issue, and asked whether I could buy the 2-yr extended after the fact, and whether it would be honored. He said yes, despite what the website said, the time of purchase must be within the original 1 year warranty.