Nikon F-801/N8008 - what a nice camera!

I was just in a camera store and the owner had a well-cared-for F801 and a Tokina 28-210mm zoom attached to it. I played with the camera and noticed the gorgeous high eye point viewfinder and the AF was quite snappy for an older screwdriver focus. I remember wanting one of these about 20 years ago when I was working in retail camera sales, but the allure of Canon's FD system (and subsequent EOS system) won me over at that time.

These tools are a gentle reminder of the "good old days" and how special some film cameras really were, pity they are not valued and worth much in this day and age of digital imaging.

Two things - it was not for sale but was sort of given to my friend - film is a dead horse around here, no labs even do C-41 unless you drive 1-1/2 hours away.....Sad.

Real Name
Chris
Two things - it was not for sale but was sort of given to my friend - film is a dead horse around here, no labs even do C-41 unless you drive 1-1/2 hours away.....Sad.
That IS sad, because there are more film manufacturers in Europe than anywhere, except possibly China. Black and white is the secret weapon against lack of C41 facilities. It's easy to develop in a bathroom without needing a darkroom. Heck, you can even develop C41 like that. The F801 is a sleeper of a classic camera, as it was Nikon's first serious AF camera.

I bought a Nikkor 28-105 lens on eBay and got a Nikon N8008 instead of a rear lens cap.

Shot a few rolls of film with it, got hooked, bought Nikon F80, Canonet QL17, Bessa R, Bessa R3A, Mamiya C220, borrowed a bunch of old cameras from my father in law...

What I'm saying is... stay away from that N8008 :)

The F801 is a sleeper of a classic camera, as it was Nikon's first serious AF camera.
Well built and reliable. I photographed several weddings for friends and family with the F801 w/28-85 zoom and an SB25. Indoors or out, the matrix metering nailed the exposure and balanced the fill flash flawlessly. I take the old rig out every now and then to look through the ginormous viewfinder and sigh for the good old days.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom