1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon F-801/N8008 - what a nice camera!

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Superbaldguy, May 31, 2011.

1. I was just in a camera store and the owner had a well-cared-for F801 and a Tokina 28-210mm zoom attached to it. I played with the camera and noticed the gorgeous high eye point viewfinder and the AF was quite snappy for an older screwdriver focus. I remember wanting one of these about 20 years ago when I was working in retail camera sales, but the allure of Canon's FD system (and subsequent EOS system) won me over at that time.

These tools are a gentle reminder of the "good old days" and how special some film cameras really were, pity they are not valued and worth much in this day and age of digital imaging.

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    You overcame the temptation to buy it then?

3. Two things - it was not for sale but was sort of given to my friend - film is a dead horse around here, no labs even do C-41 unless you drive 1-1/2 hours away.....Sad.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That IS sad, because there are more film manufacturers in Europe than anywhere, except possibly China. Black and white is the secret weapon against lack of C41 facilities. It's easy to develop in a bathroom without needing a darkroom. Heck, you can even develop C41 like that. The F801 is a sleeper of a classic camera, as it was Nikon's first serious AF camera.

5. brbo

brbo

Nov 29, 2009
    Slovenia
    I bought a Nikkor 28-105 lens on eBay and got a Nikon N8008 instead of a rear lens cap.

Shot a few rolls of film with it, got hooked, bought Nikon F80, Canonet QL17, Bessa R, Bessa R3A, Mamiya C220, borrowed a bunch of old cameras from my father in law...

What I'm saying is... stay away from that N8008 :) 

6. Well built and reliable. I photographed several weddings for friends and family with the F801 w/28-85 zoom and an SB25. Indoors or out, the matrix metering nailed the exposure and balanced the fill flash flawlessly. I take the old rig out every now and then to look through the ginormous viewfinder and sigh for the good old days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.