1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon F100 or F5?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by shelleyann, Aug 10, 2008.

1. I keep saying that I'm not going to buy any gear.. but it just keeps happening!

Ok. I have an F4s and an FE. I like them both, but I find that the F4s can be heavy, and it is best used in Manual Focus mode. I also like the FE, but I often wish that I had a higher maximum shutter than 1/1,000.

I saw an F5 on the bay which might go for a decent price (and from a reliable seller who I've purchased from in the past). I also know someone who may be selling an F100.

I know the F5 is heavy, but I hear that the metering is pretty solid. Is the metering on the F100 as good as the F5? I find the metering on the FE to be problematic at times.

Also, is the F5 as heavy as the F4s?

Thanks for the help.

2. Yes. My kitchen scale says, with batteries in and body cap on, my F4s weighs 400 grams, my F5 weighs 430 in similar configuration except it has a small Markins Arca-Swiss style mount that may weigh 20 grams...I couldn't find a hex key to take it off...The F5 is also slightly bulkier, side by side the full body is as tall as the knobs are on the F4s and the prism is taller. With that said, it handles better IMHO because of the textured rubberized coating. I will wait for others to chime in, but IIRC the metering is very similar with the F100 having a nice feature in the AF point that is active will blip red when focus is aquired which is nice in low light. I have an F100 coming tomorow as well as a regular F4. I have a special lens that I'm in the process of aquiring that will be permanently affixed to which ever one I like best...:biggrin:

3. My F100 was an amazing camera, I really miss it. The meter was dead on and nailed exposure dead on all the time.

4. powaq

powaq

May 2, 2008
    Belgium
    Something's wrong with your scale since the F5 weighs in at around 1300g...

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    I never actually weighed them because I had them at seperate times but my F5 appeared considerably heavier than my F4.

6. Ya know what? I knew that! Why it didn't dawn on me last night when I weighed them I have no idea and I wasn't drunk either! I'll find out what I did tonight. I always wondered why I never lost weight while using that as a diet scale...:biggrin:

7. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    I think I have the same type of scale...:eek: :biggrin:

8. digi.film

digi.film Guest

F100 gets my vote!

The F4 is/was lovingly referred to as a "brick". I won't even use the grip(s) on mine anymore.... it is a handful by itself.

I've never owned a F5 or F100, but have hefted both at a shop and I'd be prone to say the F5 is a "concrete block" compared to the F4. Add a hefty lens to it and you'll need a Sherpa.

Besides, the F100 has many features that the F5 does. It's entirely your choice of course.

Now if you were to say an F6, on the other hand... that would turn me green with envy! :smile:

9. Well the F100 was my all time favorite film camera. The F6 would be a good choice , but more pricey than the F100. And if you don't like the weight of the F4 , than forget the F5 . If I was going with film , the F100 would be my first choice ..

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Actually my favorite autofocus Nikon camera is the N80. It has all the stuff you need (including my favorite, illuminated AF targets and grid on demand), with no extra modes or anything like a lot of Nikon's second tier cameras. And it is feather-light compared to any of the F's.

11. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I agree with this comment 100%. The meter on the F100 is phenomenal and these days I use it to shoot slides only and the exposures are almost always PERFECT. I do not shoot slides very often but I will NOT sell the F100 ever.

12. I have a F5 (best film camera meter and very fast focus VERY porky

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Concur!

It builds character biceps.

14. Thanks for the imput, guys!

I think that I will go for the F100. (If I win a lottery, I'll go for an F6). :) 

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Considering the glass you have, you will not be disappointed. Be sure and come back here and show off your pictures!

16. Well I just got my F100 and it looks really nice, is much more compact (about an inch less width) than an F4. I'm not going to even guess the weight difference, I've learned my lesson, but it is considerable. I'm at work so no batteries or lenses to play with. What I'm not thrilled about is the viewfinder size...it's like looking through a D200. It's 10% smaller than an F4, 15% smaller than an F and looks like 20% smaller than an FA (here I go again with numerical comparisons...:eek: ). Gosh I really never realized how big and beautiful that FA finder is, I'm glad I bought this little guy!:smile:
    If you don't know this trick, hold two cameras prism to prism vertically, look through both viewfinders simultaneously...wa la, compare. If in doubt about eyepiece magnification screwing this up, remove both.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  17. Can't wait to see your photos, Tim!

18. I can't wait to shoot some...:biggrin: Can't wait to see yours too! We need more posters here in the land of film! Hopefully everything will work out and my 'special' lens will be here by the weekend. I sure like that little red blip AF sensor, much better than the F5.
    Ok here's what I screwed up...I forgot to add a kg to my weights...:rolleyes:  so if you cared...all with specified alkaline or little hearing aid batteries loaded
    D3 w/ RRS L Bracket and no film :biggrin: - 1580 grams
    F5 w/ Markins base mount - 1430 grams
    F4s - 1400 grams
    F4 w/ MF-23 back - 1220 grams
    F100 - 900 grams
    F2AS - 880 grams
    F FTn - 880 grams
    F3 - 700 grams
    F - 700 grams
    FA - 640 grams
    all probably +/- 20 grams...my scale is analog and plastic...

Upon further review, the F100 viewfinder is probably 5% smaller than the viewfinder on the F3, F4, F5, D3 but 15-20% smaller than the F, F2, FA finders. The D3 with 1.2X eyepiece is the equivalent of the F, F2, FA finders. Ok, nothing to shoot tonight and I'm bored...:tongue:

19. Amen to that! Yes more posters and less gear talk! I guarantee that you'll like the F100. Mine never let me down.

20. The F100 is a lovely camera, it's pretty solid without weighing a ton, and as others have said, the metering is also excellent.
    The F5 was just a bit too big and conspicuous for me, but is is a superb camera none the less.

I'm sure you'll enjoy using your new 'toy' :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.