Nikon F4 + G lenses

Hi Everyone! For those of you who have experience with the F4, I just got my hands on a sweet F4s. Man, this thing is huge, heavy and fast! I'm down to just G lenses now, so no aperture ring. I can't figure out how to control the aperture in camera. Is it possible, or do you just set to Shutter Priority and adjust the shutter speed until you get the aperture you want. I'm a "A" mode kind of guy, so just trying to find a way to operate close to my favorite method. Thanks!

I don't know off-hand but I'll do some experimenting later and tell you if I learn anything.

Only P and S modes with G-lenses. I have the F4e, came virtually free with the 35-70 2.8 and 2 ring 80-200 and SB-24 I bought years ago.

Yes, I popped some batteries in it this morning and played around with it. P and S modes, adjusting the shutter speed dial changes the aperture in full stops. Good enough ;). What at awesome camera!

I really loved my F4s, had the best feel in my hands of any Nikon body I've ever owned! Is solid, you can hammer nails with it! I sold mine to fund a D2x purchase and as much as I liked it, I got much more use from the D2x.

My F4 is the reason I maintain a few older lenses with aperture rings (and to a lesser extent my F3). I found out quickly G lenses are usable, but limited. I'm glad one of my main lenses, my 28-70 is not a G lens... I would love my Sigma's and Nikkor 70-200VR to be more usable, but quite frankly, when I I shoot the F4, it's not in ways that I'd usually be needing f/1.4 lenses...

Hi Everyone! For those of you who have experience with the F4, I just got my hands on a sweet F4s. Man, this thing is huge, heavy and fast! I'm down to just G lenses now, so no aperture ring. I can't figure out how to control the aperture in camera. Is it possible, or do you just set to Shutter Priority and adjust the shutter speed until you get the aperture you want. I'm a "A" mode kind of guy, so just trying to find a way to operate close to my favorite method. Thanks!
Other posts seem to have answered. I would like to add that it is one of the most modular camera I have ever seen. Put a smaller grip on it and it lowers the size and weight. Same with the view finder. Still have mine and almost all the accessories that once came with it.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Listen to the release sound of the F4. It's sexy... (y)

Never heard a mirror and shutter sound like this again on a Nikon camera.

It's a wonderful piece of technical developement.

Regards
Klaus

Latest threads

Top Bottom