Nikon FG. Black body

Hello to all,
Wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I just joined and I am looking forward towards our discussions.
I have just acquired a Nikon FG black body with a
50mm Series E lens.
I shoot mostly with my Fuji XE-2. I also shoot my Canon AE-1. As I’m new to the Nikon line, I wanted to ask what type mount is this Nikon and what type of lens I need to use/purchase that will fit and also allow the functions of this Nikon FG to operate.

Thanks to all and happy shooting,

D.

Welcome to the forums D. Glad to have you here. I actually started with an FG, back in the 80's. I still have it, but have not used it since the late 80's. The FG, like all Nikon SLRs and DSLRs is an F mount. When purchasing lenses for that camera just be sure that it is F mount (most all of them are) and that it has an actual aperture ring on the lens, allowing for manual control. The newest Nikon "E" lenses do not have an aperture lens as the DSLRs set the aperture electronically. You should be safe with any F mount "D" series lens manufactured from about 1957 and on. Others here with more expertise may chime in.

Again, welcome!

Real Name
Chris
Welcome to the Cafe D!

I too have a black FG (with an MD-4):

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have a few lenses I prefer to use with it, a 35mm f/2 AI-S, a 70-210 Vivitar Series 1, and the 43-86 AI shown above. These lenses all perform quite well on the FG. You can use any AI, AI-S, AI-P, E series, AF, or AF-D lens on it and all the functions of the camera will work. Of course the autofocus of the AF and AF-D lenses won't work, nor will D lenses have any effect on flash exposure.

Do not put pre-AI (aka non-AI) lenses on the camera, they will mangle the little lever that detects the aperture. If you use G or E (AF E type, not E series of manual focus lenses) you will not be able to set the aperture. G lenses will shoot at their minimum setting, and E will shoot at their maximum setting. This leaves you with a choice of hundreds of lenses.

Have fun shooting, please do post some of your photos here!

Thanks for the information. That’s a lot to consider. I need to have the light seals replaced. I was watching some YouTube videos and found a kit on EBay for my Nikon FG. Do you think this is a good idea?

thanks again.

Welcome to the forums D. Glad to have you here. I actually started with an FG, back in the 80's. I still have it, but have not used it since the late 80's. The FG, like all Nikon SLRs and DSLRs is an F mount. When purchasing lenses for that camera just be sure that it is F mount (most all of them are) and that it has an actual aperture ring on the lens, allowing for manual control. The newest Nikon "E" lenses do not have an aperture lens as the DSLRs set the aperture electronically. You should be safe with any F mount "D" series lens manufactured from about 1957 and on. Others here with more expertise may chime in.

Again, welcome!
Thanks for the reply.

Real Name
Carl
Thanks for the information. That’s a lot to consider. I need to have the light seals replaced. I was watching some YouTube videos and found a kit on EBay for my Nikon FG. Do you think this is a good idea?

thanks again.
Welcome and, YES! If it needs it. Use an outdated roll of film, and run it through to see if you have any light leaks. If not, go shoot!:)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom