Nikon: first compact with projector .

not a bad idea, but clearly a sign that image improvements are not really a hot topic for Nikon. Especially in the compacts.

I hope they'll prove me wrong soon :)

It's a neat idea, certainly more useful than a gimmicky feature like face detection. If the optics are good (Nikon are very capable of making their Coolpix cams with good lenses as they did a few years ago), it might be worth owning.

It's a neat idea, certainly more useful than a gimmicky feature like face detection. If the optics are good (Nikon are very capable of making their Coolpix cams with good lenses as they did a few years ago), it might be worth owning.

I can see it having its uses . Maybe I could do a video with the D90 and plug the card into this compact and show the video on the wall :smile:

I can see it having its uses . Maybe I could do a video with the D90 and plug the card into this compact and show the video on the wall :smile:

I was wondering the same thing. Other than a powerpoint presentation at a low-tech meeting, I don 't see the use for it. Maybe a higher tech alternative to annoy friends with when showing travel pics instead of the old slide projector? :smile:

I really wish Nikon would stop pumping out a new Coolpix every month with useless novelty features and focus on producing at least one high-end compact camera that can compete with a Lumix LX3!

It is hard to imagine that it will be any good & it sounds like a major problem for he battery life.

Well, look at the camera. It's clearly in the "boutique" segment where people with too much money can show off their latest gadgets to their friends. Target audience is likely not really in photography and will probably store all their images on the camera.

If Nikon is smart it facilitates that with a smart interface to put images in sets and create custom slideshows. In that case the camera might sell actually quite well. If they screw up the software (now why would I think that, oh Nikon?) and give the camera a clunky interface that makes it hard to make those slide shows, not so much, I think. At any rate this will be a more compelling feature for gadget buyers than a camera with built-in Wifi (which would be more an option for "photography-oriented" customers).

That is what I was thinking.

They rate the battery life at 1 hour for slideshows . As with anything there are tradeoffs . Perhaps the charger will be able to be connected while it is running ?
Either way for someone that has a use for it they can get a spare battery .

They rate the battery life at 1 hour for slideshows . As with anything there are tradeoffs . Perhaps the charger will be able to be connected while it is running ?
Either way for someone that has a use for it they can get a spare battery .

Rumor has it that a hamster wheel can be attached to the right side of the camera. Runtime varies with the power unit used:
  • Gerbil: 2 hours
  • Syrian Hamster: 3 hours
  • Siberian Hamster (named "Basil"): 4 hours
  • White rat: 8 hours

Intensity of the light beam can be adjusted with high power protein food (consisting of dried nuts, seeds and praying mantices)

Keep in mind that the "stand alone" function of the projector is fairly pointless as there are similar sized products on the market that do just that (and probably better, as well) for a lower price.

As one who in my 20's and 30's took slides of the family and projecting was a fairly constant ritual, I can see the appeal of this to many....particularly not those high-tech enough to want to go through the process of learning how to put a slide show on their TV. But as mentioned above, a lot will depend on how easy it is....and a lot on how good the reproduction is.

Keep in mind that the "stand alone" function of the projector is fairly pointless as there are similar sized products on the market that do just that (and probably better, as well) for a lower price.

Either way I reckon they will sell well for people who don't know the difference in image quality and think that 12 megapixels is better then 8 .
Then I suppose there is always the pressure on them to deliver something more than the competition - it started with video mode on DSLRs and I'm thinking it will spill over to projectors in the entry model DSLR's , much to the horror of those who think that a video mode is a compromising waste of resources .
Judging by the model number I think we will see a D1000pj entry level DSLR with a built in projector soon - like it or not !

But as mentioned above, a lot will depend on how easy it is....and a lot on how good the reproduction is.

For the 'masses' I'm not sure on whether they could tell how good the reproduction is if they only have a compact .
I had a slideshow running at a wedding recently - the hotel's projector had a blown red channel so the roses were purple ... hardly anyone noticed .
But I see it as being an attractive gimmick to increase sales amongst people who only print 6X4's .

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
It's a very nice feature for most people, but not for photographers. People like to show their photos on the camera LCD, passing the camera around the dining tables and such. So it's a nice way to show the photos to a group of friends.

No, it's not for me but I am not their only customer.

I just came back from a class reunion, and I can see the projector handy and useful for the occasion. I can see people who use the point and shoot as a tool to record social events would like the feature. BTW, I understand that Nokia and Apple would be putting the projector feature in their future smart phones also.

I wish it did holographic video recordings. That way I can leave distress calls inside a beeping robot when imperial storm troopers come to get me!

I believe MSRP is close to $500 for this contraption. At that price point, why wouldn't you just get a D40 or D60 and get some real use out of a camera?

Latest threads

Top Bottom