Nikon Flagship MLS in 2021

JLH

I do a photo class once in awhile. These classes are given by pros who often are employees or "ambassadors" for one of the big camera companies. After all my years of taking photos I still learn something new at ever class. Being a teacher I enjoy the instructors doing what they love. Over the past few years I have noted that they began the class by telling students that it does not matter what camera they use. They all make it clear that if you have a camera built in the last five or even ten years that you will get good results if you use your equipment properly. Now, they will bring up using good quality lenses that are appropriate for the type of photo you are doing. But to the person they all agree that if you have any decent modern camera, regardless of brand, you can get good photos.
Cameras are like cars or many other products; you need what fits your hand and operates in a fashion that makes sense to you. I have (and regularly use) both my Nikon and Canon cameras. I have more Nikons as I find them suit me better. My two Canons are great cameras and take wonderful photos but I find myself most comfortable with my Nikons. I recently picked up a Nikon Z camera and lenses, just because I wanted to see what people think is so wonderful. I am still new with it but it seems OK. I see some qualities I like yet over all I still like my "traditional" cameras like my D500 or D750. Heck, I still like using my little D5200. For me the gear is just fun and I appreciate each piece of gear for what it is. Whatever brand you think is best, is likely best for you. For me, I will pick what suits me and my style. I am no where near dumpling my Canon 7D Mk ii or going 100% mirrorless, etc. I enjoy them all.

I've got just a couple of thoughts about the discussion:

It may sound dramatic and, thus, appealing to compare business with war, but war and business really aren't analogous. Japan lost a war and then developed the audio compact disc.

I get so tired of hearing that Nikon was late to the mirrorless camera market. So what? If you don't want to buy camera equipment from a company that came late to the market, buy it from some other company. Doing so won't make you a better or worse photographer, so it really doesn't matter to me and I really do doubt that it matters to anyone.

The only thing I care about is that everyone is as happy as possible, and I've yet to meet anyone whose happiness was based on the name of their camera manufacturer.

Last edited:
A great photographer will get great results with Nikon, Canon or Sony gear. Regarding color, much of that can be managed in post. Regardless of which of these brands one chooses, it would be the rare exception if the brand was the reason one isn't able to create quality images.

I refuse to bash any of these brands. I would be happy with any of them. For now, I'm a Nikon shooter--mostly because I have built up a lot of Nikon gear (lenses, flash units, etc.) over the years. I'm happy with Nikon, but would probably be happy with Sony or Canon as well. My first camera was a Canon AE-1...and I was thrilled with that!

Glenn
You don't understand why I responded the way I did. Maybe you should read his post. This happens all the time when someone posts something regarding Nikon.

I hope everyone realizes I was never pumping or bashing any brand. I was just responding to the usual sony bashing. I should have just let it go. I apologize for taking the bait.
I did state that in my opinion the camera industry is going through a revolution- just like the audio industry did in the 1980-1990's.
Every companies equipment will be fine. Go ahead and bash away, but in the end I have not found one brand exceptionally better than any other.
Yes, I have shot nikon, canon, sony, Fuji, phaseone, Pentax, Hasselblad, Leica, etc. They were all terrific in their own ways at different times.
They are all bumping into the same ceiling as defined by physics. All the companies are there, bumping into the same limitations.
When the cameras are all essentially the same, when the lenses are all essentially the same, when the images all look essentially the same- what will people use to decide what system to invest in?
The last variable is the software. The computational side of photography. The integration with your smart devices. Computer assistance so the newbie with the big expensive fancy camera can take pictures that look at least as good as their iphone.
Here, they may not all be equal. Whichever company gets this part right, IMHO, will gain a large market share.
It is going to get tough out there over the next couple of years. There are not enough pros and fine art photographers to keep these companies rolling.
They need the beginners buying in. They need the hobbyist.
Good luck to all of the manufacturers.
gary

I've got just a couple of thoughts about the discussion:

It may sound dramatic and, thus, appealing to compare business with war, but war and business really aren't analogous. Japan lost a war and then developed the audio compact disc.

I get so tired of hearing that Nikon was late to the mirrorless camera market. So what? If you don't want to buy camera equipment from a company that came late to the market, buy it from some other company. Doing so won't make you a better or worse photographer, so it really doesn't matter to me and I really do doubt that it matters to anyone.

The only thing I care about is that everyone is as happy as possible, and I've yet to meet anyone whose happiness was based on the name of their camera manufacturer.

Mike, I think you may have missed the point that when someone comments about Nikon coming late to the market, the issue usually is that due to that late arrival on the scene, Nikon then does not/is not able to offer the camera bodies or lenses that the individual wants to purchase right then and there at the particular time he or she is ready to buy new gear. For most of us, it matters what photography gear we are going to spend our money on, and we have expectations with regard to how we anticipate the gear will be used to enhance our pleasure in shooting the kinds of images which please us, serve as the tool(s) to get us to what we have in mind for creating images. If a particular manufacturer, no matter how fine a product they offer, doesn't have what a consumer wants and feels is needed at the time they're ready to purchase, well....yeah, the customer is going to look elsewhere and purchase elsewhere. In this situation, it's more about availability than it is about quality or some other measurement of a company's offerings.

Mike, I think you may have missed the point

No, I completely understand your point. You've stated it many, many times and you've been correct every time. I couldn't possibly come to that conclusion if I didn't understand your point.

I stand by my point that I really don't care who anybody buys their gear from and that I doubt very seriously that it matters to anyone. It is such old information that Nikon came late to the mirrorless market that I can't help but think, "So what?" But now I'm repeating myself, which isn't helpful or fun for anyone.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: McQ
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom