Nikon GP-1 GPS unit

A

adrianaitken

Or build one yourself as I did, GPS module $50, MC-30 (for the 10 pin cable) already had, 5v voltage regulator $.05, spare hotshoe $5, glue/putty $0 (already had some).
I'm certainly no expect in electronics but it was very easy to build. The only other cost is obviously your time !! And if it's built in Thailand the labor costs will be virtually zero. Any extra is pure profit.

$150 is wishful thinking IMHO. Given Nikon's pricing on other accessories, I would be shocked if this didn't cost at least as much as the more expensive 3rd-party options on the market right now.

It's a shame this thing will tie up both the hotshoe and the 10-pin remote connector. No thanks, I'll just continue geotag using track files from my hand-held, so I can more easily use my hotshoe bubble level and remote release.

If they can fit an internal GPS in a point-n-shoot, they should be able to do so with a DSLR too.

B

barnclos

... I'll just continue geotag using track files from my hand-held, ...

I've been thinking about getting a hand-held for a while now, and although the main reason is for trekking, part of the appeal was geotagging using track files. I've done a bit of (half-hearted) searching, but haven't been able to find any software which puts the data into the NEF EXIF (found lots for JPG).
Do you geotag your NEFs? If yes, would you mind sharing your workflow?

Many thank.

I've been thinking about getting a hand-held for a while now, and although the main reason is for trekking, part of the appeal was geotagging using track files. I've done a bit of (half-hearted) searching, but haven't been able to find any software which puts the data into the NEF EXIF (found lots for JPG).
Do you geotag your NEFs? If yes, would you mind sharing your workflow?

Many thank.
I bought the GPS for navigation, hiking, etc, for me goetagging is just a bonus feature. I was already using BreezeDownloader Pro when they added goetagging support so that's how I do it. As long as I remember to plug my gps (I have Garmin GPSMap60csx) in USB Mass Storage mode, Downloader Pro will automatically tag the photos as it downloads them. It does not write directly to the NEF but rather to XMP sidecars. That suits me just fine, I'm already using XMP heavily for keywords, copyright, ratings, and ACR raw settings.

But there are options that will store directly to NEF if that's what you want. Geosetter is a well-regarded freeware program that can do this.

fks

thanks for the link, keith.

i know that nikon charges an arm and two legs for accessories, but i'm hoping that since it was released with the D90, it would be reasonably priced. i sent B&H an email asking about availability and price, and hopefully i'll get a reply.

jeff, i agree with you on in-body GPS, but nikon has yet to release in-body wifi on their DSLR's.

ricky

B

barnclos

DrA and Jeff,

Thanks for the suggestions. Shall I take the easy route (ProPhotoTools) or will my inquisitive nature get the better of me (I had no idea what XMP sidecars were until 2 minutes ago, but I am googling frantically).

All I need now is a handheld GPS: coincidentally, the Garmin GPSMap60csx is the model I am considering most seriously.

Ricky,
Maybe we should have a sweepstake on the price of the GP-1: my guess is $285.

It looks like there is no On/Off/Auto selector switch on the GP-1 unlike the Dawntech and Solmeta GPS solution.

There's a possibility that it'll drain the camera battery and it does not make sense to disconnect the wire so that the GPS unit will not be powered up.

I'm also quite weary that Nikon GPS GP-1 may be overpriced and in the US$300 to US$400 price range.

The D90 is using the new square GPS connector, we have to buy the Nikon GPS GP-1 for use on the D90.

Unless Dawntech and Solmeta comes out with an adapter from 10 pin to the D90 square connector or a new Dawntech and Solmeta GPS with square connector.

Aren't there already a half dozen or so similar product’s? I know some of them have been reviewed here.

This isn't the same as comparing a Nikon f/2.8 in any range to a f/2.8 lens from Sigma or Tamron. While there are plenty of reasons to pay for Nikon glass why would anyone overpay for a GPS unit just because it has the Nikon log on it?

Aren't there already a half dozen or so similar product’s?

This isn't the same as comparing a Nikon f/2.8 in any range to a f/2.8 lens from Sigma or Tamron. While there are plenty of reasons to pay for Nikon glass why would anyone overpay for a GPS unit just because it has the Nikon log on it?

What makes you think they're going to sell it at anywhere NEAR the price of the ones on the market today? Let's hope the geniuses at Nikon figure that out... If it's $199 they will sell like hotcakes and the 3rd parties will need to lower their already outrageous prices (I own a di-GPS Pro BTW).

What makes you think they're going to sell it at anywhere NEAR the price of the ones on the market today? Let's hope the geniuses at Nikon figure that out... If it's $199 they will sell like hotcakes and the 3rd parties will need to lower their already outrageous prices (I own a di-GPS Pro BTW).

Well my point is why would anyone pay more for the Nikon version?

When has Nikon ever sold their accessories for less than the 3rd-party competition? Have you not noticed what they've been charging for the MC-35 (which is just a serial cable with a 10-pin adapter on the end)?

Right now, you can only get the Nikon GPS GP-1 for use with the D90.

This is just for illustration purposes only to get an idea of the difficulty to use the Nikon GPS GP-1 with the new GPS square connector on the side of the D90.

This is a SATA straight cable on the side of my D200. With a straight wire connector, it's going to interfere with the end users handling the D90 camera.

2846935493_7bda7ff403.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a SATA L connector cable on the side of my D200.

View attachment 243580

I do hope that the Nikon GPS GP-1 cable is the L connector type as there is a possibility of using an L bracket and less obstrusive for the end users if the L connector is flushed with the side of the D90.

Bruce Dale talked about one of the Garmin models yesterday at his seminar in Foster City and raved about it. Said he thought the price was about $200. He uses a Mac freeware program that not only attaches the info to the file, but puts it on a Google map. Pretty cool technology.

Bruce Dale talked about one of the Garmin models yesterday at his seminar in Foster City and raved about it. Said he thought the price was about $200. He uses a Mac freeware program that not only attaches the info to the file, but puts it on a Google map. Pretty cool technology.

That way is "tacky". Real time is best. Of course if you have no other recourse...

Latest threads

Top Bottom