Nikon-guy Gets an Exclusive 787

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Minuteman3, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Not my shot ...

Just saw this in the news. An aviation enthusiast (no idea if he's a member here) got the first public pictures of Boeing's new 787 being moved around. His profile/photos are here:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/profile.main?username=SEAchaz

The EXIF data indicates he was using a D200 ... way to go!!

Cheers!!

Ken

2. cool. that's one big plane. thanks for sharing

3. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    I love it when what I do at work gets in the news. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

4. Interesting.

So what aircraft did I see a few weeks ago on final to Pearson Airport painted blue with a big 787 on it's tail, and Boeing along the fuselage?

5. Not sure, but I'm pretty sure the 787 has not flown yet. That's considered pretty big news here in it's hometown!! I think we would have heard about it.

Cheers!!

Ken

6. Well, maybe it's all part of a marketing campaign. Air Canada purchased a whole whack of 787's.

7. Just how does it compare in size to the 777? I love the 777; a great plane to ride in. It supposedly can take off fully loaded with just one engine.

Thanks, Rich

8. The smaller size 787 has a smaller wing span than the 777 according to Boeing.

And since the roll-out is scheduled for July 8, I obviously saw a different plane...

You can find more information here, including some CGI mockups:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787family/787-3prod.html

9. Thanks Mark! Lots of interesting information there..Hong Kong to Heathrow nonstop. Oh my aching butt! :frown:

Hey have you given any thought to joining us at our next Alabama get together? It's tentatively scheduled for 30, 31 May and June1 2008.

Thanks, Rich

10. It was probably the real deal that you saw.

If they are rolling it out real soon, i.e. showing it to the presss, etc, you can be sure that it's not the first time that the thing has flown. Sure, it may have been under the control of test pilots and perhaps not with its normal paint colors, but a new type of plane does not roll out one day on a tarmac without having passed a gazillions tests in the air and on the ground.

11. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    It was the real deal.. First roll out.. to the paint shop.

I test 'em! :eek::eek:

12. So it was the real deal? Neat. It was certainly a majestic plane at that level.

Rich, working on it for the Alabama get together, and I think I will be able to do it.

13. Glideslope

Glideslope

Feb 8, 2006
    NY
    The First Flight of the 787 will be early Sept if all goes as planned. Ship 001 is still in paint. It will be white with "Dreamliner" on the side. Unknown vertical stab. May say 787, or ANA the launch customer. Putting ANA on the vertical stab would be seen by the Japanese as a sign of respect. Could help with 748i sales.

With announcements at the 7-8-07 roll out there will be 700 orders before she ever hits V2. Here are two links. The first is an excellent 787 Blog. This guy has the inside track. The second is a nice schematic of the airframe.

Boeing was SUPER PISSED at the photos of the midnight roll to paint. Great job by the photographer.

http://flightblogger.blogspot.com/

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?itemID=14892

14. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    you can tell its a D200. just look at all the noise at iso 800 :(

15. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA