Nikon had a terrible sales quarter and is revising forward estimates.

Connie, are you dumping Apple for Windows soon?

NO WAY!!!!! I dumped Windows for Apple back in 2005 and have no interest in switching back.

I had been wrestling with this decision for a long time, and really wanted to be sure that I was doing the right thing. It made it a little easier that I was already familiar with Sony cameras, having used the RX100 (several models) and the RX10 M4, plus the camera which introduced me to Sony and to mirrorless cameras in the first place, the NEX-7. Y'all can blame Rich Gibson for this -- one day he came over for some reason and brought along the NEX-7 that he had just bought a week or two before, and once I handled it was fascinated by it. The focus peaking and other features really were intriguing. A week later after having done some online research I had my very own NEX-7 and a couple of lenses. I've loved that camera for a long time.

Another thing which made this decision easier was that I really love shooting macro and was quite disappointed when it became evident that a macro lens or two was not on Nikon's roadmap for the foreseeable future. I really dislike using adapters and was uncertain about how well some of my older macro lenses would do on a new camera anyway. I was watching and waiting, watching and waiting, and at some point started to get a bit itchy to finally just get going and do something. I also realized that I wanted to simplify things a bit and to be using just one system, plus I also took the time to really think about what I like to shoot and what lenses would be most appropriate. I really didn't need fourteen or more lenses, many of them sitting around in the Pelican cases unused; now they'll be going to new homes and new users who will give them new life.

It'll probably take a few days or longer to get up to speed with this new gear, but it'll be fun as well as challenging.

Real Name
Andy
So, yes, unfortunately for Nikon I am no longer going to be a customer/user, and I am truly sad about that. We had a good long run together, though......
Congrats on making this difficult decision. I hope you’ll stick around. Though I’ve been shooting Nikon for thirty years, I’m new to the cafe and consider myself lucky to finally discover it.

Oh, yes, Andy, I am definitely going to be sticking around -- I've made some good friends on the Cafe and learned a lot about shooting and techniques in general, and enjoy seeing others' images.... I've been lax about sharing anything I've shot for a while, so this will probably get me back into the groove again. The Cafe is a great place to hang out, regardless of what gear members are using! It's really about more than just the gear, it's about the photographic process itself and our mutual enjoyment of all of it.

It is a great time to be alive, lots of choices in everything.

My mind was blown yesterday at Home Depot as I browsed their two dozen types of bagged concrete powder. Even more if you count the bags of mortar.

I'm a huge fan of used Nikon gear, back 30-40 years ago I could only dream of the stuff I own (and have sampled) now.
Folks dumping their Nikon gear are my friends.

I do admit that as I get much older, lugging around the D750 with big zooms will not continue.
So far the only real downside is the looks I get when roaming around in public. And every third or fourth trip downtown gets me a friendly conversation with a cop. Fortunately I'm obviously harmless.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I see lots of comments about focus peaking in mirrorless cameras. Is it significantly different than focus peaking in LV with the D850? I use the D850's focus peaking a lot for architecture and think it's great!

I never used it in a DSLR, so can't answer that question, but my first exposure to it was several years ago in a mirrorless camera, the Sony NEX-7. I don't know for sure but I think it first was developed in mirrorless cameras. It really is a huge asset when shooting, especially if one is shooting in manual focus! Like Jim, I really enjoy and appreciate seeing all the info I need right there in front of my eye in the viewfinder, including the changes made when I change exposure values or shutter speeds. Peak focusing shows ups up nicely to assure me that yes, I'm properly focused, and these are the precise areas which are....

Congratulations, Connie!! You better not give up on the cafe. I love hearing discussion about all different brands. In my mind....it’s the photos that matter, not the gear used!!

Thanks, Terri! I am definitely planning to hang around the Cafe forever..... I like the people here and the discussions we have and the photos we share way too much to ever think of leaving! There will always be a part of my heart that belongs to Nikon but today as I am using my new gear I am definitely very pleased that I made the choice I did. Love my new lenses -- the two macros, especially the 90mm, are just great, and I have been having so much fun with them that I haven't even put the 135mm f/1.8 on the camera yet! Might wait until tomorrow, as I have the feeling that once I start playing with it that I won't want to stop! LOL!

My bet is that the people that prefer using focus peaking in Live View are using a tripod and the people that prefer using focus peaking in the viewfinder are shooting handheld.
I have the strong suspicion that you are right on the money here, Mike! :). At least, speaking for myself, that is exactly the way I've used it to date, as something I see through the VF rather than through Live View on the LCD screen, and yes, I much prefer to shoot hand-held when I can..., which may include stabilizing both the camera and myself against some surface so that I am not just depending on IBIS for good results.

While in the past I have upgraded cameras every few years, I don't see how anything beyond my current D7100 and D750 will make any significant difference in my photography. The same goes for the small collection of decent lenses that I have. So in some sense the innovations of the camera companies have given us less and less reason to upgrade as time goes by. If I were starting over I would consider switching to mirrorless but I'm not aware of any compelling reason to do it now.

@pixel_a_ted, so long as the cameras are doing the job, and the results make you happy then absolutely no need to change.
I’ve been using both mirrorless and DSLR for several years. LV with mirrorless is fantastic, likewise IBIS is great, particularly for photographing in low light without a tripod. I hope Nikon add articulated screens to future models.

I have used focus peaking on both the d850 and a7r1v. It works fine on the 850. About the same as on the sony.
At least for me, it is much easier to get into using the sony. Also, as Mike pointed out, the ability to see it through the viewfinder makes it useful handholding. What I found is on the nikon I used focus peaking in the studio and rarely out in the real world. Out of the studio it was really only useful tripod based. With the sony I can use it handheld. It is much easier to get into. I find myself using it a lot. I use it handheld on almost every portrait. I use it on every bird on a stick, allows me to confirm focus on the eye and not on the body. It works the same, it is just easier to use. I can also program a custom button to have it available live, all the time. No menu diving, I can turn it on and off with the camera up to my eye at any time.
Gary

While in the past I have upgraded cameras every few years, I don't see how anything beyond my current D7100 and D750 will make any significant difference in my photography. The same goes for the small collection of decent lenses that I have. So in some sense the innovations of the camera companies have given us less and less reason to upgrade as time goes by. If I were starting over I would consider switching to mirrorless but I'm not aware of any compelling reason to do it now.
I agree, pretty much.
But may change my mind after analyzing the pictures posted over on the Sony forums. So far they look to be the same quality as on the Nikon forums (at least on my PC screen).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom