Nikon invests an estimated $91 million in a small aerospace company

Lots of people have suggested that Nikon might be in serious financial trouble and even more people have complained that the company lacks the business diversification of its competitors. Nikon is now the majority stockholder of an aerospace company that is only six years old and is also backed by Boeing. Nikon also felt comfortable that it could spare the estimated $91 million to buy the company's stock. Though the article provided below doesn't explicitly mention that the shares were purchased using only cash, that's what I inferred.

https://petapixel.com/2021/04/06/nikon-invests-majority-stake-in-boeing-backed-aerospace-startup/

Hassies have been absent for years.
Some of the most iconic and enduring photos of the moon in the Apollo missions were taken with Hasselblad 500CMs and not Nikons. Most of the stuff taken during the Shuttle days with Nikon looks kind of blah to me compared with the stuff that was shot on the moon. Nothing like seeing an image of the earth rising above the horizon of the moon.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nikon. I have been with them since 1973. Longer, I am willing to bet, than 90+% of all of the people who frequent this forum. But Hasselblad is in a league all of its own, head and shoulders above both Nikon and Canon when it comes to image quality. I still do shoot a lot of film, call me a dinosaur if you want, I don't care, and for my personal stuff the majority of it is with my Hasselblad 500CM and black and white film, mostly Kodak T-Max 100 though occasionally I shoot Portra 160.

APOLLO 11.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Some of the most iconic and enduring photos of the moon in the Apollo missions were taken with Hasselblad 500CMs and not Nikons. Most of the stuff taken during the Shuttle days with Nikon looks kind of blah to me compared with the stuff that was shot on the moon. Nothing like seeing an image of the earth rising above the horizon of the moon.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nikon. I have been with them since 1973. Longer, I am willing to bet, than 90+% of all of the people who frequent this forum. But Hasselblad is in a league all of its own, head and shoulders above both Nikon and Canon when it comes to image quality. I still do shoot a lot of film, call me a dinosaur if you want, I don't care, and for my personal stuff the majority of it is with my Hasselblad 500CM and black and white film, mostly Kodak T-Max 100 though occasionally I shoot Portra 160.

View attachment 1681792
I'm aware of that history! Made me lust after a Hassie. But Space lab has been Nikon country, largely! They typically have enough on board and in training sites to qualify as an authorized Nikon store :) :)

Which division of Nikon did this?

"In July of 2019, Nikon established the Next Generation Project Division to accelerate the launch of new growth businesses including materials processing technologies. Nikon intends to drive industrialization of digital manufacturing by leveraging synergies resulting from strategic investments and alliances with industry-leading companies worldwide."

That is an excerpt of the press release provided by a link in the article.

"In July of 2019, Nikon established the Next Generation Project Division to accelerate the launch of new growth businesses including materials processing technologies. Nikon intends to drive industrialization of digital manufacturing by leveraging synergies resulting from strategic investments and alliances with industry-leading companies worldwide."

That is an excerpt of the press release provided by a link in the article.
Hmmm....so not necessarily the camera/imaging division..

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom