Nikon J1 video stops after 3 minutes.

I've been having problems with my J1 lately [the battery is charged].
When I record HD video it just randomly stops recording perhaps after 3 minutes 22 seconds, then 3 minutes 48 seconds [I just tested it] though it states it can do 20 minutes. I did a quick search and didn't see this problem mentioned elsewhere - anyone know anything about this???

Well I had been taking a few short high speed videos before trying to do my main video, the battery was showing 2/3 by now and I just tried with a fully charged battery and it's been going for 7 minutes now ...... I receive no battery warning when it is showing 2/3 and the video just stops so perhaps it was just a low battery????
Edit: no, it stopped at 7:56 with the fresh battery :(
I will try a software update.

ok, at 1080 60fps it give me just over 3 minutes. 1080 and 30 fps gives me 8 minutes and 720 gives me 30 minutes.... obviously the card isn't fast enough :(

That was going to be my guess. What card are you using?
It was an Apacer 8 gig 4X.
But the card that originally came with the camera was a 4 gig Panasonic extreme 10X which I dug out of my D5100 and put back in the J1. I just ordered a 16 gig 10X which I will try out in the camera for a while - then I can out the other 10X in my 5100 again.
I hadn't realized video was so affected by the card speed because I had only taken short clips before.

For video I think it's the class rating rather than the 4x or 10x speed that we worry about for stills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating

Sorry, I'm saying it wrong :redface: It was a class 4 giving problems and I just put in a class 10 and it did 20 minutes video [HD60fps] fine. [not 4X and 10X]
I've never worried about fast frame rates or video in the past so have never been much into those terms :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom