1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon JPEG quality

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by twistedlogic, Jul 29, 2009.

1. This is posted in another forum I frequent:

"Even worse, if you care about JPEG quality, it gets a lot more complicated. I, for one, can't stand Nikon cameras that use EXPEED because of its terrible JPEG imaging engine."

"Nikon, on the other hand, provides so much mechanical qualities yet produces miserable JPEG images."

This same user has mentioned Nikon's JPEG engine numerous times. Does anyone know what hes referring to?

I did a quick google search but couldn't find anything.

2. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah it's horrible. It's practically impossible to get a half decent photo out of any Nikon unless you shoot RAW. :rolleyes: 

Do Canons automatically correct for CA?
    Do Canons automatcially correct for distortion?
    Do Canons give you auto contrast features?
    Do Canons give you very capable auto dynamic range features?

I have no idea what this guy is talking about.

3. Yeah I asked him to post a link to show me what hes talking about, but he didn't reply.

What models have these features? D300/D700/D3?
    And is the last one ADL?

Thanks for the reply Steve.

4. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    D300/D3 and newer have the auto CA correction and ADL, including the D5000, D90, and D700, and D3x. Practically every Nikon DSLR has had auto contrast control as far back as I can remember. The last I checked Canon still lacked this and forced you to make manual contrast setting adjustments which is a major pain if you have a lot of mixed scenes. Or shoot RAW and sort it out later. Nikons work on the fly a ton better. I've never had off-camera JPEG contrast issues, whereas my buddy who shoots a 40D seems to have problems with that all the time.

Only the D5000 might have the auto distortion correction though, and it probably only works with Nikkor lenses. I saw that noted in one D5000 review and don't think I've seen it mentioned in the older cameras, so that might be a new feature.

I've had NO problems getting my off-the-camera JPEG files matching my RAW files for quality and tone and detail. If you're getting poor quality JPEGs or they're not what you expect, your on-camera settings aren't right period. Just as you can apply bad settings in RAW processing and get a worse JPEG out than the camera would have given you by itself, you can also use bad in-camera settings and get bad JPEGs that way too. It all comes down to the photographer, and how well you know and use whatever tools you're using. If you're getting bad results it's not the camera, and that applies to Canon too. All of these cameras will give great JPEGs, although some might make it a little more difficult to get what you want.

5. dwind

dwind Guest

d700 shots great jpgs.

6. MRCPix

MRCPix Guest

that is interesting I like the jpgs better from my nikon than from my canon 40d(I sold it).

7. TetonTom

TetonTom

Aug 28, 2008
    Colorado, USA
    Hmmm, I've always been pretty pleased by my D90 JPEGs. And looking back, by my D40 JPEGs as well.
    What makes a bad JPEG bad? Maybe I'm not picky enough...

8. Here is one of his statements:

"The problem is...while Nikon worked on FF matter hard and was able to release FF cameras, thier trying too hard on high ISO noise performance made matters worse. In order to kill noise as much as possible, they went too aggressive on sensor gain control and imaging processing engine. The combination of those two factors resulted in very unbalanced color reproduction, gradation and WB. Hence the birth of ill auto WB, no saturation and too much saturation isssues with cameras that use EXSPEED engine."

I doubt he's ever used a Nikon and is just repeating what another user has posted somewhere on the internet, so it has to be true, :cool: .

9. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    Unless he's backing these up with concrete examples, its just another gripe from a fanatic gearhead who doesn't deserve a second of our time.

JPEG output from a Nikon camera has been pretty superb and I haven't had any issues with any of the cameras that I've used. Coming straight from default factory settings there are probably things you would want to optimize to your liking but I'm thinking he hasn't tried that (or touched a Nikon for that matter).

Pentax Jpegs on the other hand, from concrete samples coming from the K10D, have some serious issues.. but even then it can be mitigated to a certain degree by tweaking factory settings.

10. You got to be kidding, or maybe I'm not critical enough myself. I shoot mostly JPEGs and always thought my Nikon digital stuff was outstanding, I guess I'll have to keep on shooting crappy JPEGs.

11. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Again, no clue. :confused: 

So now Nikons have WB issues because or unbalanced color reproduction?

OK. :smile:

12. Many users of photographic gear in the Internet continue to amaze me. Even worse, their statements are so irresponsible and stupid that I cannot figure out how do they dare to talk about something they do not know. This guy is unquestionably another one!
    Modern JPEG files are superb. It takes years of research and development to introduce software so capable as those in use today. I know of many professionals that mostly use JPEG and I have seen many of those images and never a problem. Indeed, JPEG are so good that I in particular have to work very hard to make a RAW file similar to a JPEG.
    For heaven sake, the JPEGs from my 8 years old D1X are superb and this guy tells me modern cameras cannot do better? Give me a brake.
    More modern cameras, like the D200 and D300 (I have not used others) produce excellent JPEG files and if they do not, the operator is doing something wrong. Guaranteed.

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

13. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    If you do need to do much to the Jpg's then they look just fine. It's when you start pushing and pulling the data that they begin to fall apart. For me at least.

14. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Yeah the D700 produces jpgs so horrible that I switched from shooting RAW to jpg altogether … :rolleyes: 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  15. sako

sako

Feb 28, 2009
    New Zealand
    Absolute and utter drivel by another internet armchair expert. This idiot thinks he knows more about what makes a good camera than Nikon does.

16. Funny enough, I might have just suddenly made the conversion from shooting RAW to JPG in the D3. :biggrin: I'm shooting Vacation Bible school all week, and at 300-500 pics per day (which must be cut down, and then keepers put into a slide show for Fri night)........even using LR (which automatically renders NEF's), I chose JPG for the week. I was hesitant to do it, I haven't shot JPG since the D70. I'm absolutely in LOVE with them!!!

This guy has never shot the equipment that he complains about, is my guess. I've been using AWB all week, as I'm in/out of sun/shade and inside/outside with natural vs flourescent lighting. They've been spot on. The only adjustments I find myself using are crops, and sometimes an added vignette. :smile:

17. +1

Me, enjoy taking poor quality JPEG shots :smile:

18. Southswede

Southswede

Nov 25, 2008
    Charleston
    The only difference I have seen between Nikon and Canon is the way the two jpeg's handle colors. The reds, yellows and oranges of sunsets are different. Neither one is "better", just different.....

19. LMAO

Okay, I got a reply from him today.

Ready to laugh?

"I once made a thread about EXPEED's gray cast problem. If you look it up, you will be able to find it.
    For WB, there was an extensive test done by DCM(Japanese's digital camera magazine,) I don't have a link to it but if you search it on Google, I think you can find it.

Or, you can just go to Pbase.com and look through images produced by Nikon EXPEED cameras. Watch for gradation details in low ISO settings and for high ISO pictures, check saturation levels."

I found the thread he was talking about, all the links are in Japanese, :tongue:, and from a year ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.