1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon lenses focus PAST infinity

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by qksilver, Aug 5, 2009.

1. qksilver

qksilver

Jul 29, 2009
    Northern VA
    I recently switched from a Pentax k20d to a D700 and I noticed something about Nikon glass that wasnt present with my pentax lenses. This is something I was unaware of until I decided to do some astrophotography, I could manually focus the lens slightly past infinity and get blurry results

I posted this shot in a 17-35 thread but i will post it again here. This is after i figured out where infinity was of course!

3771033272_2b77895232_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. I guess if you shoot stars you gotta go past infinity. HAHAHA. Stunning and amazing image! Beautiful!

3. pbcstylez

pbcstylez

Mar 21, 2009
    BayArea, CA
    what shutter speed is this?

4. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Where is that point past OO. :tongue:.

5. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    EXIF says 30 seconds, f/2.8, ISO 1600 on a D700.

Nice job, it looks beautiful

6. I love my 17-35 for astrophotography and you have done nicely here. Since you have a D700 I would love to see this shot with 3200 ISO to really pop the Milky Way.

As for lenses focusing past infinity, it does tend to complicate manual focusing at night when you cannot easily check focus. I find on my new Tokina 11-16 that the focus ring turns waaaay past infinity. At first this really bothered me, but now after real world use I don't find it that big of an issue with the very deep depth of field of a superwide. I will say though, this lens can flare like a beast so careful use (even at night) is required. My 17-35 is much better controlled for flare. I have the 45 mm pancake on my hopefully to buy list just for it's reputation for a lack of flare. I can't tell you how many photos I've taken of my hand shading the lens from harsh light, hah.

7. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I forgot to say before, the reason they focus past infinity is because of the ED glass. It has something to do with temperature and the way the glass "changes" with temperature change so have a definite infinity stop wouldn't work. I don't know the technical details but I remember reading it somewhere.

8. qksilver

qksilver

Jul 29, 2009
    Northern VA
    This is correct, I talked to a friend who told me it was because the exact point of infinity changes in different temperatures (im guessing due to expansion of parts of the lens)

9. Tim W

Tim W

Mar 10, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks guys for this explanation. I notice that my 17-35 focusses way past infinity - more than other lenses I own.

10. Sweet photo :biggrin:

"To infinity and beyond" Buzz Lightyear :cool: 

11. i just am at the moon then switch to Manual and not move it :smile:

12. I concur with the statements about focusing past infinity for the purposes of accomodating the expansion of elements and glass in temperatures and also humidity.

If you notice 3 feet actually measured will show different on the lens in different temperatures.

13. qksilver

qksilver

Jul 29, 2009
    Northern VA
    Normally I would do this but....this photo was taken before moonrise

14. find a bright star my camer can usally lock on to those

mars and Jupiter work best

15. Beautiful photo!

Thanks for posting this info. I have been frustrated trying to shoot similar shots and I think you just solved the problem for me!

Mike

16. This is where Live View Tripod Mode works best with the ED Nikkor lenses. It's what makes the D300 and D700 (& D3 and D3X) such useful cameras. Set lens in manual mode and aim camera towards a bright star or planet or even the moon and use the magnification featureto get super sharp focus. Then take your photos being careful to not touch the focus ring if you change focal length on the zoom lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.