Nikon Lenses On Olympus Mirrorless Camera????

Is there an adapter that would allow me to use the following lenses on an Olympus Camera?

Nikon 85mm f/1.8D
Nikon 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon Fisheye 16mm f/2.8D

What about flashes, I have the Nikon 600 and 800, would those be adaptible?

I was learning strongly towards purchasing the Olympus Pen-PL5 to get my feet wet. If I could still use some of my Nikon equipment, am now thinking about the Olympus OM-D E-M5.

I have been researching for days, so many questions. I think a trip to my local camera store is in order.

Thanks
Dianne

With any m4/3 or mirrorless systems, most lenses with an aperture ring can be adapted pretty easily, and cheaply. I have adapters for my Fuji including, Fujica, Canon FD, Nikon F, Minolta MD, Olympus OM, M42... And they all are basically the same. The only problem you will have is with the G lenses. Since there is no aperture ring, you would need an adapter than can control the aperture, which can get expensive. Of course, manual focus only. Generally the flashes will fire, as long as the tigger pin lines up, but it will work only in manual.

There's quite a few around here who adapt Nikon glass to Olympus M43 cameras with very good results. I have a cheap adaptor that I use but only with a couple of AI lens (55mm and 105mm), coupled to the EM5.

Wih the SB-800 you do have the option of 'A' mode but I haven't found it to work very well but manual works fine with those flashes and the EM5. You can also use remote triggers like the pocket wizards (those are the only ones I've tried). I picked up a used FL-36R pretty cheap from KEH which does support all of the features of the Olympus flash system, which I think you'll find is universally agreed isn't as near as good as the Nikon CLS system.

The advice above is correct. I have been using Nikon manual focus lenses on the E-M5 and like the results. There are many adapters that will do the job. For G lenses, the only one I am aware of is the Novoflex, which comes with an aperture control ring that these lenses lack. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/646931-REG/Novoflex_MFT_NIK_Nikon_to_Micro_Four.html
It's pricey but supposedly of the highest quality. Alternatively, you can pick up some used manual glass - smaller and lighter, like the M43 bodies - and inexpensive adapters and have fun experimenting.

Ouch that's sharp Vince! I use the Voigtlander Nikon F to m43 adapter - pretty well made, no wobbles. Be sure to check the for sale sections here and on other forums. You may be able to save quite a bit.

75-150e
Leaves_75-150e-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

35/1.4 AIS
Buddy_Yard-XL.jpg

Sorry to hijack this thread, but are there any adaptors that don't require stopped down metering when using Nikon AI lenses on an Olympus MFT body?

Andy, I'm not sure what you are referring to (stopped down metering). I have two AI lenses, the 55/3.5 and the 105/2.5 and with both the camera happily meters fine with the lenses wide open or stopped down. I think most use aperture mode, manual works of course as well.

Andy, I'm not sure what you are referring to (stopped down metering). I have two AI lenses, the 55/3.5 and the 105/2.5 and with both the camera happily meters fine with the lenses wide open or stopped down. I think most use aperture mode, manual works of course as well.
Thanks for the reply - I think we're talking about the same thing, as you stop the lens down the meter adjusts, without knowing what aperture the lens is actually at.

If this is the case, then I guess that getting a simple adaptor that just physically couples the lens to the body would be okay.

That's absolutely how it works. The AI lenses work really well on the m43 platform. I use a $20 adapter, don't remember which one in particular. I'm sure there's the possibility of issues with the machined surfaces not being perfect, or other manufacturer defects, but at least on mine, there's nothing that has caught my attention. I also use the (much less expensive) Lens Turbo instead of the Metabones focal reducer, mostly on my Rokinon 85/1.4 - works like dream for portrait work. Corners are demonstrably softer but that doesn't bother me for my use. You don't need the more expensive adapter for any of the lenses with the aperture ring.

The folks over at Fotozones (formerly Nikon Gear) all say that getting sharp focus with Nikon AI/AIS lenses on a µ4/3 camera is quite difficult. The photos shown above are certainly sharp, but can someone speak to this issue?

I recently acquired an Olympus E-M5 and have a pretty good arsenal of AI/AIS glass.

Jim, I had read that but it's been a while so I don't remember the details - I wouldn't be the guy to argue the technical issues - I only can report that I'm quite pleased with the results I get using my couple of AI lenses. With the E-M5 I favor using the zoom feature with the EVF, or on a tripod.

Can you share the link? I'd read it again.

55/3.5 AI
P3295611-Edit46_-L.jpg

105/2.5 AIs - probably not the best example (.4s ss hand held), it's just one I found first.
P5297943-L.jpg

Ah, so what I read is a collection of mostly negative experiences, more about manual focus than the AI series lenses. Its true that the EM5 doesn't have focus peaking. While that feature is handy, and my GX7 does have it, I seldom mount a manual focus lens on it, the EM5 works better (for me). The stabilized EVF is priceless for MF, and I use the zoom feature with better results. There is a faux focus peaking trick using an art filter that actually works quite well. If you enjoy the MF experience with a DSLR, then I'd say you might like it even more with your EM5... more than with the D700 when I had it.

I posted some shots I did yesterday using the EM5 and the Rokinon 85/1.4 here. Be sure to click through to the full screen view on my SmugMug site. I think you will find them sharp enough.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/some-senior-portraits-not-portraits-of-seniors.285749/

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that the focus peaking isn't as reliable as zooming in for critical focusing. If there isn't enough contrast in the scene focus peaking won't work at all - so it's obviously a personal preference -

So if you use a G lens with one of these adapters without an aperture ring are you limited to shooting wide open or does the combination not function? I am ok with shooting wide open

Real Name
John
The folks over at Fotozones (formerly Nikon Gear) all say that getting sharp focus with Nikon AI/AIS lenses on a µ4/3 camera is quite difficult. The photos shown above are certainly sharp, but can someone speak to this issue?

I recently acquired an Olympus E-M5 and have a pretty good arsenal of AI/AIS glass.

The folks over there are quite demanding and while they make good points I wouldn't let it discourage you.
I'd try a cheap adapter first. If you should have problems you could return it and try another brand.
I've had great luck with the Fotodiox brand.

Real Name
John
Ah, so what I read is a collection of mostly negative experiences, more about manual focus than the AI series lenses. Its true that the EM5 doesn't have focus peaking. While that feature is handy, and my GX7 does have it, I seldom mount a manual focus lens on it, the EM5 works better (for me). The stabilized EVF is priceless for MF, and I use the zoom feature with better results. There is a faux focus peaking trick using an art filter that actually works quite well. If you enjoy the MF experience with a DSLR, then I'd say you might like it even more with your EM5... more than with the D700 when I had it.

I posted some shots I did yesterday using the EM5 and the Rokinon 85/1.4 here. Be sure to click through to the full screen view on my SmugMug site. I think you will find them sharp enough.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/some-senior-portraits-not-portraits-of-seniors.285749/

I've found the same.
Zoom is accurate and easy to use with a little practice.
Peaking can be useful. It's faster but not nearly as accurate.

Beautiful images Mike.
Very well executed.
Small sensor but big images.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom