Nikon made me ANGRY--update: PROBLEM SOLVED!

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Palouse, Aug 3, 2008.

1. for the first time in over 30 years.

I just paid for the up grade to NX2. Successfully entered the key code and ran NX2. Ran it several times, just to be sure. All worked, so I uninstaled NX1.x.

Now NX2 asks for my NX1.x key code, which I no longer can find.

What a way to do business!:mad::Angry::370::actions1::actions1:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2008
  2. Oh, Nick - are you really mad at Nikon, or are you perhaps upset with yourself? Product keys are sacred items, never to be lost!!!

I noticed they mention the need for both keys in the download instructions on the Nikon Europe site, but I didn't see the same notice on the Nikon USA site:

Upgrading from Capture NX Version 1
    Install the purchased copy of Capture NX 2 Upgrade and begin the install process. Both Capture NX version 1 and Capture NX 2 can be installed on the same computer at the same time.

When activating an upgrade version, your Capture NX version 1 product key will be requested. First, enter your name, company (optional), and Capture NX 2 product key. You will then be prompted to enter your Capture NX version 1 product key. After entering both the Capture NX 2 and Capture NX version 1 product keys, your copy of Capture NX 2 will be activated and the application will open.

Submit an incident on support.nikontech.com - I'll bet they can help you out. Another solution might be to search for it in your registry.

Sean

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I would hope that Nikon would want to help out customers with a technical problem such as this! When companies use high level anti-theft devices it is imperative that they do not harm legitimate customers.

However for years now, I have taken to putting a piece of tape on installation CDs with any codes I need to install the software.

4. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Register

I register my Nikon stuff on their site, including software, and can go there to find a product code.

5. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    It is not just Nikon. Adobe makes me go back and install PS-5 which checks my PS-3 disk and then I can upgrade from there. I am glad I don't have to go all the way back to PS-1 because that is on 3.5" floppies. If you bought the download version of NX-1 then Nikon should be able to get the code for you.

6. I think I would be disappointed in myself for not knowing better if I had a lot of experience installing software and upgrades. I'm certain I would also be mad at Nikon for putting me in a position to have to remember such unintuitive nonsense.

I remember reading here in the threads about the requirement to enter the NX key code once it is uninstalled, so I was prepared. However, with all the programming that makes it possible for NX2 to "talk" with all of the Windows software and obviously the NX software while it remains installed, it seems to this non-techie that it would be so simple for the installation process to simply copy the darned keycode in NX and paste it into NX2. Any company that can figure out how to do control points can surely figure out how to do that.

I don't buy the arguments that everybody else uses a similar process. Lots of wrongs are perpetuated in industries for no other reason than that they are industry-wide practices. They're still wrong in my opinion, as is this particular practice.

7. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    Agree 100% with Mike. I just went thru the same hassle with the upgrade install. Luckily, my keycode was still in a saved email Nikon sent when I first purchased NX. And I had to input it three times! The first two times the [OK/Accept] button would not become active. But to put this burden on the consumer is just poor programming. Again. (ready for the flames)

8. Thanks guys. You're right,I am a bit mad at myself, too. I must have a key code somewhere! But since NX2 ran successfully I assumed it was safe to uninstall since it had--I "assumed"-- read the key code from the registry. I did send Nikon a report, so probably on Monday I will hear from them.

Thanks for the support and advice-live and learn, eh!!

9. SUCCESS---I am SOOOO organized

I am so organized, so brilliant. I found my NX!.x key code !!!!:Love::Love::Love:

It was in the box with my Capture 4.0 CD and manual! :redface:

Phew!!!!!

Thanks again for the handholding!

10. ah....
    excellent news, nick
    thanks for the update

good luck

11. hornagain

hornagain

Jan 21, 2007
    Central US
    This is what they should fix. Their words are just absolutley wrong. As proven, the NX version 1 key is only asked AFTER de-installing it.

12. jim hughes

jim hughes

Jun 12, 2008
    Minneapolis
    enough

Enough "blame the victim", guys. Nikon's protection scheme is overly complicated. You shouldn't have to supply the old key; this is probably just a bug that Nikon has decided to live with.

We've been abused by this sort of thing for so long, we've come to accept it.

13. Great news, Nick!

However, I'd like to suggest that the title of your update should be changed from "Not" to "Problem Solved." The distinction, if it is accurate for you, is important because it speaks to Nikon's practice, as opposed to whether you remain mad now that you were able to get around the problem created by Nikon that should never have been possible to have happened in the first place. Just my opinion. :smile:

14. Good point Mike.

I guess one take home point for me--besides, knowing where my key codes are, is, never do an upgrade late in the evening--and especially while drinking a glass of 10 year Madeira!

15. You're absolutely correct, Nick. I am REALLY surprised that you didn't know better. You should have been drinking 20 year-old-Madeira. :biggrin:

16. Touché! Saving that for NX3:biggrin:

17. Key code? Nikon? Have some more madeira my dear!! :biggrin:

18. Hi Tom-- guess what? I just logged into my Nikon profile and what did I find there? Why, the key code for NX1! Amazing! I had no idea that a glass, or 3, of Maderia had such power!:biggrin::biggrin:

Thank you for the reminder. I also updated my profile!

19. I lost my Capture NX code once using Nikon's help feature in their website and engaged in an email exchange with one of their reps. I ended up scanning my D300 receipt, sending it to them, and they sent me a new code. A bit of a hassle but I did lose the code and they were nice enough to help me out.

20. For the life of me I cannot find the address of the my nikon web site? Can you help?