Nikon Manual Focus Glass - Part III

Real Name
Michael
I used a NIKKOR-S Auto 50mm f/1.4 all last week in the Nifty-Fifty Meme, a lens that is almost as old as I am. Here are a few leftovers that I didn't post.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
I used a NIKKOR-S Auto 50mm f/1.4 all last week in the Nifty-Fifty Meme, a lens that is almost as old as I am. Here are a few leftovers that I didn't post.

View attachment 1592673

View attachment 1592674

View attachment 1592675

View attachment 1592676
These look really great, Michael!

Here is one from the Nikon 50mm f1.2 lens. I do like this one and hope you like it also.
Mike

View attachment 1592677Test-shots-50mm-f1.2-3-B&W-web by Mike Skerritt, on Flickr
Thank you Michael. Here is another one I like but this time from the wonderful 55mm f1.2 lens.
Mike

View attachment 1592681Hard working-55mmx1.2-at-f1.2-Web by Mike Skerritt, on Flickr
And yet another one from the nikon 55mm f1.2 lens.
Mike
View attachment 1592693Butterfly-55xf1.2-&f4-Web by Mike Skerritt, on Flickr
Beautiful samples from these fast lenses, Mike!

Want to take a second to thank everyone who makes this a wonderful place to hang out and exchange ideas & pics. Wishing all of you magic holidays & the Best Year of your life! jt

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Want to take a second to thank everyone who makes this a wonderful place to hang out and exchange ideas & pics. Wishing all of you magic holidays & the Best Year of your life! jt
I would also like to wish you JT and all my Nikon friends a wonderful Christmas and new year. Happy shooting.
Mike & Mary Irish.

A few with the 50mm 1.2 AI-s.

I'm embarrassed to admit I forgot I'd started this conversation about six years ago. I stumbled on it after searching for a Nikon friend who'd posted on this site. I was rambling around the forums looking for more when I saw the Nikon Manual Focus Glass and mused that someone ELSE had started a conversation similar to the one I started on Fred Miranda on August 22, 2010. When I opened it I found my shining face. I thought the least I should do is say hello and applaud the many folks on Nikon Cafe who've kept this conversation going. Honestly, it is easy to do given how wonderful these lenses are. On FM the conversation continues and at the moment we have over 127,000 posts on 6,377 pages. My guess is it will stop only if Fred decides to close the website.

I guess the least I can do is post a few photos while I'm here. These were taken during a ramble around my neighborhood with the 105 f/2.5 P AI mounted on the Df I now shoot with. It was an AI-s version of that focal length that got me started with manual focus lenses. I started this thread when I had eight such lenses. Now I have 47. I am NOT a collector, but I do seem to have an affection for these lenses...

105.2.5.P.WhiteFlowersBacklit by Curtis Grindahl, on Flickr

105.2.5.P.LumberYardBlossom by Curtis Grindahl, on Flickr

105.2.5.P.LibraryWalkBlossoms by Curtis Grindahl, on Flickr

Happy shooting everyone. :)

At the moment Bart, none of them is getting much use... but that should change tomorrow when a cyber friend who lives in Singapore arrives for a two day visit. He's participated on the Fred Miranda thread for around seven years. He was the first person to receive the 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI that we sent around the world in 2012, on loan from another friend who lives in Sydney. I've offered him the opportunity to browse through my lenses and take his pick for our ramble.

My kit building really took off when the same fellow from Sydney began posting photos taken with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. whose aperture ring had been cut so I could be mounted on modern cameras. I bought a copy of that lens with the Nikon AI conversion kit and that lens launched me into the wonderful world of pre-AI lenses. Initially, it was a real challenge to find lenses with the Nikon kit but eventually I picked up a used Df and now have a few unconverted pre-AI lenses. Over half the lenses in my kit are pre-AI. I guess I've been smitten by the earlier optical designs. I also appreciate that they are all metal, many with the sweet scalloped focusing ring. I'm embarrassed to say I now own THREE copies of the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI...

50.1.2.Three55.1.2.SC by Curtis Grindahl, on Flickr

They look pretty sweet on the Df... here with a recently acquired 5.8 cm f/1.4 S.

55.1.2.SC.Df.55.5.8cm by Curtis Grindahl, on Flickr

Honestly, many of my lenses haven't gotten much use for quite some time... but I'm loathe to sell anything. I've witnessed folks who've trimmed their kit only to regret it at some future date. Of course, I'm old enough that the question naturally arises about where they will end up when I can no longer see well enough through the viewfinder to use them at all... I'm doing my best to maintain my health so that day remains far in the future...

I'm embarrassed to admit I forgot I'd started this conversation about six years ago. I stumbled on it after searching for a Nikon friend who'd posted on this site. I was rambling around the forums looking for more when I saw the Nikon Manual Focus Glass and mused that someone ELSE had started a conversation similar to the one I started on Fred Miranda on August 22, 2010. When I opened it I found my shining face. I thought the least I should do is say hello and applaud the many folks on Nikon Cafe who've kept this conversation going. Honestly, it is easy to do given how wonderful these lenses are. On FM the conversation continues and at the moment we have over 127,000 posts on 6,377 pages. My guess is it will stop only if Fred decides to close the website.

I guess the least I can do is post a few photos while I'm here. These were taken during a ramble around my neighborhood with the 105 f/2.5 P AI mounted on the Df I now shoot with. It was an AI-s version of that focal length that got me started with manual focus lenses. I started this thread when I had eight such lenses. Now I have 47. I am NOT a collector, but I do seem to have an affection for these lenses...

View attachment 1597615
105.2.5.P.WhiteFlowersBacklit by Curtis Grindahl, on Flickr

View attachment 1597616
105.2.5.P.LumberYardBlossom by Curtis Grindahl, on Flickr

View attachment 1597617
105.2.5.P.LibraryWalkBlossoms by Curtis Grindahl, on Flickr

Happy shooting everyone. :)
A beautiful floral bouquet you gathered with the 105 2.5 AI-s! Good to see you check back in here--hope we get to see more. Best jt

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom