Nikon Manual Focus Glass - Part III

Gary: do you care to post your feelings on the D800--I would love to learn from them. Best, jt
I don't mind at all. I will say that this is my first foray in to a "Pro" level body as well as my first full frame DSLR so take that for what it's worth. Oh, and my apologies if I'm a bit long winded in my reply. ;-)

I was initially a bit concerned going to a "Pro" sized body and wondered if it was going to be too cumbersome to carry around for casual photos. I have average sized hands, and find the feel of the D800 quite comfortable to hold even though it's slightly larger than my D7000 and D7100.

Shooting in full uncompressed 14 bit RAW the files are HUGE!! Typical file size is around 75MB per image. On the advise of someone from this forum I tried shooting 12 bit Lossless Compressed and it drops the file size down to slightly above what my 24 megapixel D7100 puts out (between 30-40MB vs 25-28MB on the D7100 in 14 bit Lossless Compressed). I actually discovered the D7100 does not offer the option to select full uncompressed RAW and only does "Lossless Compressed" or "Compressed" in either 12 or 14 bit. I haven't done a comparison of all the bit rate/compression combinations, but have only compared the14 bit Uncompressed to the 12 bit Lossless Compressed and haven't been able to discern any noticeable difference between the two. Based on some limited research I've done, it seems that one would be unlikely to notice a significant difference in color between 12 or 14 bit unless you were printing large prints then directly comparing them side by side and even then it seems the differences would be minimal. Considering my D7100 only allows Lossless Compressed as an option I decided to stay with that on the D800, as well as shooting in 12 bit which (as mentioned above) cuts the file size down significantly and seems to be good for my needs.

Auto focus speed with screw drive lenses is quick as expected and Auto focus tracking for action seems to be quite good as well. Despite being considered more of a portrait and landscape camera, I've been able to do fast action sequences of a dog at full run with my Nikon AF 80-200 2.8 (two ring) which itself is not the ideal lens for capturing action, but with good technique and practice, it seems more than up to the task for my needs. Obviously with my Tamron 70-300 VC mounted the AF is lightning fast when compared to the 80-200.

Due to its 36MP sensor, using DX lenses in "DX crop mode" results in a very usable 15MP image which still allows some room for cropping in post. In some cases a couple of my DX lenses actually perform quite well even in "full frame" mode. I have a cheap Promaster (Tamron) 11-18mm 4.5-5.6 DX lens that works fine with no vignetting from 13-18mm, and my 35mm 1.8G DX has a large enough rear element that at f/1.8 has extremely little to no vignetting and gets progressively worse (however still recoverable) up to around f/4. At f/5.6 and higher it becomes to dark and is not recoverable. However the D800 also has a 1.2x crop mode (25MP) that crops just enough of the sensor area that allows me to use the 35mm DX lens unrestricted throughout the aperture range with no issue.

So far I'm extremely happy with the D800 and it seems to be meeting and/or exceeding my expectations in every way. It is kind of a "Jack of all trades" camera.

I don't mind at all. I will say that this is my first foray in to a "Pro" level body as well as my first full frame DSLR so take that for what it's worth. Oh, and my apologies if I'm a bit long winded in my reply. ;-)

I was initially a bit concerned going to a "Pro" sized body and wondered if it was going to be too cumbersome to carry around for casual photos. I have average sized hands, and find the feel of the D800 quite comfortable to hold even though it's slightly larger than my D7000 and D7100.

Shooting in full uncompressed 14 bit RAW the files are HUGE!! Typical file size is around 75MB per image. On the advise of someone from this forum I tried shooting 12 bit Lossless Compressed and it drops the file size down to slightly above what my 24 megapixel D7100 puts out (between 30-40MB vs 25-28MB on the D7100 in 14 bit Lossless Compressed). I actually discovered the D7100 does not offer the option to select full uncompressed RAW and only does "Lossless Compressed" or "Compressed" in either 12 or 14 bit. I haven't done a comparison of all the bit rate/compression combinations, but have only compared the14 bit Uncompressed to the 12 bit Lossless Compressed and haven't been able to discern any noticeable difference between the two. Based on some limited research I've done, it seems that one would be unlikely to notice a significant difference in color between 12 or 14 bit unless you were printing large prints then directly comparing them side by side and even then it seems the differences would be minimal. Considering my D7100 only allows Lossless Compressed as an option I decided to stay with that on the D800, as well as shooting in 12 bit which (as mentioned above) cuts the file size down significantly and seems to be good for my needs.

Auto focus speed with screw drive lenses is quick as expected and Auto focus tracking for action seems to be quite good as well. Despite being considered more of a portrait and landscape camera, I've been able to do fast action sequences of a dog at full run with my Nikon AF 80-200 2.8 (two ring) which itself is not the ideal lens for capturing action, but with good technique and practice, it seems more than up to the task for my needs. Obviously with my Tamron 70-300 VC mounted the AF is lightning fast when compared to the 80-200.

Due to its 36MP sensor, using DX lenses in "DX crop mode" results in a very usable 15MP image which still allows some room for cropping in post. In some cases a couple of my DX lenses actually perform quite well even in "full frame" mode. I have a cheap Promaster (Tamron) 11-18mm 4.5-5.6 DX lens that works fine with no vignetting from 13-18mm, and my 35mm 1.8G DX has a large enough rear element that at f/1.8 has extremely little to no vignetting and gets progressively worse (however still recoverable) up to around f/4. At f/5.6 and higher it becomes to dark and is not recoverable. However the D800 also has a 1.2x crop mode (25MP) that crops just enough of the sensor area that allows me to use the 35mm DX lens unrestricted throughout the aperture range with no issue.

So far I'm extremely happy with the D800 and it seems to be meeting and/or exceeding my expectations in every way. It is kind of a "Jack of all trades" camera.
Gary, thanks for your generous reply---exactly the in-depth stuff for which I'd hoped: I appreciate! Best jt

Last edited:
Here are some pics with the Nikon E-series 75-150mm f/3.5 lens: I sure wish someone would make an AF lens w these specs. jt
DSC_2164.s.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC_6128_01-wwwss.jpg
DSC_6145-1ws.jpg
DSC_6185eeees.jpg
DSC_6187s.jpg
DSC_6243wwws.jpg
DSC_7058_02-1wws.jpg
DSC_7104_01ww-1111ss.jpg
DSC_7186u-1s.jpg
DSC_7425.s.jpg
DSC_7511_es.jpg

Gary, thanks for your generous reply---exactly the in depth stuff for which I'd hoped: I appreciate! Best jt
Hey there jt, glad to be of help. I've been using my D800 almost daily practicing with different lenses, and learning it's various features and quirks, so if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer if I can.

Here are some pics with the Nikon E-series 75-150mm f/3.5 lens: I sure wish someone would make an AF lens w these specs. jt
Nice set there. I keep telling myself that I want to try and start hiking to get out and start shooting some landscapes as well as get out with my Huskies more and help me get in better shape, but unfortunately it never goes further than a brief thought. :D

This series is an amazing argument to promote this lens, JT!
Of course no one should forget it takes your talent to see and create these images.

Nice set there. I keep telling myself that I want to try and start hiking to get out and start shooting some landscapes as well as get out with my Huskies more and help me get in better shape, but unfortunately it never goes further than a brief thought. :D
The 1st thing which came to mind when reading your post was this quote from Lao Tzu (it's in the "Tao Te Ching"): "The greatest journey begins with the first step." Also, as an after thought, it would be s good for the huskies: they simply revel in the outdoors. Best, jt

This series is an amazing argument to promote this lens, JT!
Of course no one should forget it takes your talent to see and create these images.
Hi Bart:

Thank you for this splendid complement! I've posted over 10,000 posts in photography forums: you are surely one of the kindest & most talented persons out there. It makes your complement all the more meaningful to me. Best jt

Nikkor 105mm 2.5 AIS with my fav test model. Handsome Po.
po@105.jpg

Nikkor 105mm 2.5 AIS with my fav test model. Handsome Po.
View attachment 1683167
Oooooooooo---so sweet John! You have great light to accentuate your beautiful Po--colors & sharpness equally great! Love my 105 2.5 Ai-s, but it usually loses to the Nikon E 75-150mm simply because the flexibility of the zoom, while hiking, is paramount. But sometimes this classic Nikkor is in my backpak. I often hike, in a day, > 4000 feet of elevation gain, with >10 miles of walking: I tell you this simply to accentuate my love for the 105 2.5 in particular & my love of pictures in general. Obviously, the more one minimizes the weight of a hiking bag, the easier the hiking.

Are there any etymological underpinnings for the name Po which you care to share? best, jt

That's simply marvellous, John!
Thanks Bart.
Oooooooooo---so sweet John! You have great light to accentuate your beautiful Po--colors & sharpness equally great! Love my 105 2.5 Ai-s, but it usually loses to the Nikon E 75-150mm simply because the flexibility of the zoom, while hiking, is paramount. But sometimes this classic Nikkor is in my backpak. I often hike, in a day, > 4000 feet of elevation gain, with >10 miles of walking: I tell you this simply to accentuate my love for the 105 2.5 in particular & my love of pictures in general. Obviously, the more one minimizes the weight of a hiking bag, the easier the hiking.

Are there any etymological underpinnings for the name Po which you care to share? best, jt
Thanks JT.
Po is restricted to indoors so a lot of his day is spent watching birds and such from the windows. It's a nice large natural light softbox.
I'd like to get a 75-150E again someday. Your images are amazing with it btw.
No e.u. for Po. My wife named him because he that's what he looked like to her.
I'd like to think Master Po from King Fu but he's the opposite and as goofy as can be.

Some more with my Nippon Kogaku Nikkor-S 50 1.4
The most remarkable aspect for me is the rendering of the out of focus areas with wide apertures.
Apart from that, I think it's also a fine normal lens with a pleasing image quality when closed down more.

2020-Varia_2020-06-02_10-23-31_00164_DxO-X2.jpg

2020-Varia_2020-06-02_10-26-10_00166_DxO-X2.jpg

2020-Varia_2020-06-02_10-28-23_00169_DxO-X2.jpg

2020-Varia_2020-06-02_10-43-24_00182_DxO-X2.jpg

2020-Varia_2020-06-02_10-13-13_00155_DxO-X2.jpg

2020-Varia_2020-06-02_11-16-20_00192_DxO-X2.jpg

2020-Varia_2020-06-02_09-43-04_00140_DxO-X3.jpg

2020-Varia_2020-06-02_10-31-13_00174_DxO-X2.jpg

2020-Varia_2020-06-02_10-34-49_00176_DxO-X3.jpg

2020-Varia_2020-06-02_10-45-20_00183_DxO-X2.jpg

Thanks Bart.

Thanks JT.
Po is restricted to indoors so a lot of his day is spent watching birds and such from the windows. It's a nice large natural light softbox.
I'd like to get a 75-150E again someday. Your images are amazing with it btw.
No e.u. for Po. My wife named him because he that's what he looked like to her.
I'd like to think Master Po from King Fu but he's the opposite and as goofy as can be.
Laugh OL on the EU! :) Thanks for your generous complement: I too like using the 105 Ai-s for a short tele--that's a nice capture of a coastal scene. jt

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom