Nikon MB-D10 - do I need to set a custom function to get the command dial to work?

I recently bought a mint D300s. I have been using it with my MB-D10, no major concerns but I just noticed, today, I am not seeing any changes on the camera's display when I rotate the Command Dials. The vertical release is fine, and the AF-ON works. I looked at the D300s manual under the "f controls," that didn't seem to be useful.

Is there something I am missing in the menu? When I attach the MB-D10, should the wheels simply rotate with visible changes with shutter speed or aperture? The multi-selector doesn't work as well.

My next option is to clean the contacts.

Last edited:
Ok, here are my findings. I tried the battery pack on my D300, the same issue - no aperture/shutter speed control with the Command Dials, and no way to use the selector. I tried this on my dead D300 - the shutter conked out on me a month ago - and everything works! Of course, this does me no good on that body. I cleaned everything with a Q-Tip and isopropyl alcohol as well. I did notice something - one of the pins is shorter than the rest. I cannot be sure it’s fully contacting the underside of the body. It’s about 3/4 of the length of the others. I can’t think that is normal. I cannot explain why the MB-D10 works perfectly on a body that has a broken shutter. The only thing I can do is ask others who own this accessory if they see all the pins the same length - or see if I can find a local owner here in Nova Scotia who has one and compare. It’s not a big deal since the vertical release is the feature I need - along with the nice balance. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom