Nikon Melville, expectations and opinion on pending repair

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by MMarz, Sep 30, 2008.

1. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    My D2x is off to Melville. Fortunately, it's minutes from me so I can hand deliver and pick-up.

It was in for a cleaning back in August and came back "feeling" new, but I am seeing very obvious issues with the AF. Having a Katz Eye installed is a big benefit. AF is off by just a smidge, with a very regular and predictable front focus. I can see it in the split prism and every image is just a tad soft. If I AF in any mode, with any lens, I will see the same result, and if I MF using the split prism, it is dead on.

Low res side by side in Lightroom.

Image captured using AF on the left / MF on the right. Focus point at the top center of the front of the piling. Shot from bean bag on dash board of car...Click for larger image..

p149695979-2.png

Low res 1:1 of the focus point side by side...
    [​IMG]

AF on right eye of cat...left from our view...
    View attachment 260750

Images aren't that large, but frankly, they don't need to be..

So here is my question...

I left the D2X with Nikon for a few weeks and my invoice states there were adjustments to the AF system in addition to a bunch of other items, though I didn't bring it in for an AF adjustment..just a clean and check & grip replacement. Clearly there is still or now a problem. I have verified this is consistent with all lenses, Nikon or otherwise. The Split prism shows the AF is off, the images show AF is off. Should I expect to pay again for repairs? What should I demand in the way of turn around time? It's unreasonable to have to wait again.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  2. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I *think* there is a 90 warranty on repairs they do so I don't think you have to pay anything.
    I sent in a 500 afs1 lens and a month after getting it back they was a problem related to what they did. They fixed it again at no charge.

3. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    good to know Allan, thanks.

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Michael

There is actually a SIX MONTH warranty on all repairs.

Simply tell them that this is a re-service and state the issue. tell them that the AF was fine prior to sending it in the first time (assuming that it was) and that they adjusted the AF and now it's worse.

I'm sure that they will take care of it for you.

5. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Just got back from Melville.. glad to see the guy I recognize from past trip still at the front desk. Thought he left.

He was super. Checked out the images I brought with me, wrote it up with two RUSH orders, promised me no charge. It's nice to be so close and to have faces to go with names and voices!

6. mathjak107

mathjak107

Mar 20, 2007
    nyc
    had some major repairs done on a camera 2 months out of warranty, they did a perfect repair and no charge