Nikon needs a Z 70

What would a Z 70 be? A mirrorless D7200!

Many of us old-timers here broke our DSLR teeth on the D70. It was a ground-breaking camera that was a huge success and was succeeded by the D70s, D80, D90, D7000, D7100, D7200, and now the D7500. I owned them all except the D80 and now D7500 but still use my D7200 for the excellent IQ and extra reach of the cropped sensor.

But I really like my Z6 and would use it exclusively except for the crop factor which provides extra reach. The Z 50 is too crippled with no IBIS and a few other features. A cropped sensor camera with all the features of the D7200 and Z 6 would be a big seller, I think.

Real Name
Ian
I think the Z50 is going to be the APS-C Z mount camera. Why would Nikon bother investing in a sensor size that is declining in popularity, especially when Canon just released two juggernaut FF cameras in the R5 and R6?

IMO, Nikon’s focus needs to be releasing a professional Z camera. Not an APS-C or entry-level FF camera (i.e. Z5)

Real Name
Paul
I think the Z50 is going to be the APS-C Z mount camera. Why would Nikon bother investing in a sensor size that is declining in popularity, especially when Canon just released two juggernaut FF cameras in the R5 and R6?

IMO, Nikon’s focus needs to be releasing a professional Z camera. Not an APS-C or entry-level FF camera (i.e. Z5)
I seem to recall seeing some stats that show the Canon M (APSC) is their biggest selling camera - so I'm not convinced that it's a dead format. Reviews of the Z50 have generally been very positive too - but I don't understand why Nikon didn't put IBIS into it.

Real Name
Ian
I seem to recall seeing some stats that show the Canon M (APSC) is their biggest selling camera - so I'm not convinced that it's a dead format. Reviews of the Z50 have generally been very positive too - but I don't understand why Nikon didn't put IBIS into it.
Keep in mind that the EOS M system has been on the market for a substantially longer time than the EOS R system.

Tht is not the case for Nikon’s Z system.

I'm with you, 100% Jim. I'd love to see a crop Z with AF comparable to the D500 & most of the bells & whistles. Time and market will tell.

Having said that, I have a number of bodies and the Z50 is one of my favorites. I use my Z50 far more than my Z6. For some reason, the AF is a bit better on the Z50 in my experience, and I've talked to others who've made the same observation.

As IBIS goes, it's never been an issue for me. 95% of the lenses I use are adapted F Mount that have VR. I have used the 50s 1.8 and z mount 24-70 F4 on my Z50 w/o issue.

For the price and performance, the Baby Z is pretty hard to beat.

Yes, but I'm suggesting a higher-end APSC mirrorless, not FF.
Depends if there's still a market for it. Nikon would need to get access to the APS-C sensor in the Sony A6600 that has a front stacked LSI for faster AF operation. Unless Nikon finds another source for sensors that isn't Sony.

My path was N6006, D70s, D90, D610, Z6. I loved the D70s, but the D90 was a game changer for me. So sure, I'd love to see more APS-C options, but I don't see it happening without more DX Z-mount lenses, as Tony-B said.

One of the things I do love about the FX format is now the focal lengths align with what they were back when I shot film (e.g., 24mm is 24mm and not 16mm, which I then have to translate in my head back to 24mm). So I'm probably on FX for good. Although a notably smaller body with some small DX-specific primes could sway me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom