Nikon Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF VR Zoom ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by HAVOC, Nov 8, 2005.

1. What is the general opinion on this lens ? I've been thinking about buying one for while as I think it would be a great all round lens, any feed back appreciated.

2. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I am very pleased with my copy. I was a little nervous about getting one because of all the negative reviews about the lens being soft. I guess this was a problem with some of the early production pieces. Here is a link to a gallery that I shot with this lens. Judge sharpness for yourself.
    http://www.pbase.com/dvan/autumn_in_moorestown_2005

3. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Check with CHRIS 101 about the 24-120VR. He has a gallery of images too.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Well, my 2 cents is if you get a good copy, it can be the best midrange zoom out there for the money. Nothing else yet (the new 18-200dx might) can compare to the range, VR and if you have a good copy, color and contrast. Is it a tiny bit soft, sure but it is only $500 new with a 5 year warranty. Is it slow above 40mm, yes, but if you are outside, it is not an issue, dof isn't as good as other lenses and the bokeh is not in the league with the pro lenses, however, it can give very good images. Many of my best shots were taken with this lens, and for the last year if I grabbed just one lens this was it.

The only reason I sold the lens was because I could tell the difference when using the 12-24DX, 50mm 1.4, and the pro telephotos at the same session. It bothered me. I never had any comments about it being soft from any customer or fellow photog. There was a primarily a difference in image quality/resolution. It does have a very natural warm pleasing color. Probably it's best feature besides very fast AFS speed.

It was for me, a very good lens, and VPT who just bought it will get many years of use out of this lens.

Sample images, one for color and one for sharpness, many many others found at my homepage in many different catalogues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wade

6. stm69

stm69

Aug 10, 2005
    Woah!!!! My 24-120 shots don't look like that!?!?!? :smile:

Sam

7. I have this lens also.

It is very good on my D100, but is marginal on my D2x.

8. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Love the 24-120VR!

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That right there might be an issue. I have the feeling that this lens is at it's margin of quality when I use it (and of course, I sharpen 'after the fact' rather than in the camera.) So yes, be sure to try the lens out before you plunk down your $500 or whatever it sells for now. I have a feeling that it will become plentiful in the used market once the 18-200vr comes available.

Paul: Actually I find that this lens has the least coersive qualities of all the lenses I shoot with - that is, my style can be anything with this lens, but because I shoot mostly primes (well, I don't have a prime WA) the fact that it is a wide range ZOOM gives it a lot of versitility. I wholeheartedly agree that the 24-120vr is not a low-light lens. For me, it's a lens for using in a situation where you need to shoot a lot of different photos.

I just shot a wedding with our Uncle Frank, without using the 24-120vr. And I MISSED IT!!! (I used the 12-24DX and 85mm f/1.8 for the most part, and did a LOT of foot zooming.) After that shoot, I now know conclusively, it's the camera (and lens), NOT the photographer!

10. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    My copy is good

Mine gives excellent results for I use it. It is a great walking around lens. I used it on a D1X and D2H with satisfactory results. I don't remember using it on the D2X yet so can't comment on that combination.

11. RForshey

RForshey Guest

I think MontyDog is being a bit harsh! I wouldn't recommend this lens for "people" shots, there are much better lenses for that purpose. For landscape photography, it is far and away my favorite hunk of glass. Name the lens and I probably have one, so it isn't from a lack of choice! Probably 85-90% of the images I sell were created with this lens.

12. I posted a thread about this same lens. I guess I should have searched before doing so!

At any rate - it's good to read what people have to say about this lens, and, I think I'm going to pass on it for now. I really want the 105mm micro lens instead, so, I'll be saving for that one instead!