Nikon official statement for faulty D2h (Meter/AF)

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by MontyDog, Sep 26, 2005.

1. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

3. This is great. My D2H meter was recently repaired free when just out of warranty. However, I know there are many who were sent a bill for the repairs. I wonder if they would be able to recveive a reimbursement for a known issue that is now confirmed as faulty electronics. Probably not.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi christian-

according to the FAQ posted on imaging resources, nikon USA will reimburse those who paid for the repair:

Q. I have already experienced problems identified in this advisory and sent my camera to Nikon Inc. for repair. Because my camera's limited warranty had expired, I was charged for the repairs. Am I entitled to a refund for those charges?
    A. Please provide Nikon with a copy of the Nikon Inc. repair receipt associated to the previous repair. Your repair receipt copy must include your camera model and serial number. Send it to:
    Nikon Inc. Repair Accounts Receivable Department
    1300 Walt Whitman Road
    Melville, NY 11747-3064
    Be sure to include a cover note that provides us with your return address, phone and-email contact information. For additional information, call Nikon Service Relations at 800-645-6678.

imaging resource link here

hopefully the same policy applies to repair centers in other countries.

ricky

5. Phiggys

Phiggys

Feb 3, 2006
    U.K.
    Mine is with Nikon Now!

Mines with Nikon U.K. at this moment in time :frown:
    Hope to get it back sometime next week :smile:

6. knobby

knobby

Feb 4, 2006
    D70 meter failure

Hi Philip,
    first post on this forum, it looks a good place !
    good luck with the repair, my D70 has just started to pack up on the metering front... sent numerous emails to nikon service with links to forum threads like this one, although camera is 20months old they have agreed in principle that the repair will probably be f.o.c.

Posting it Monday:Sad:

Gaz

7. Phiggys

Phiggys

Feb 3, 2006
    U.K.
    Hi Gaz welcome to the Cafe
    Best of luck with your D70 repair.
    I posted my D2H on 16th Jan arrived there next morning 17th Service dept received it on 18th
    Approximate repair completion date is 6th Feb subject to parts availability.
    Will let the forum know when I receive it.

8. Phiggys

Phiggys

Feb 3, 2006
    U.K.
    It's back :)

Arrived back on Friday 10th. :smile:

9. knobby

knobby

Feb 4, 2006
    But does it work ?

But does it work ?

Gaz

10. knobby

knobby

Feb 4, 2006
    iTs back

Its back ! my old freind has returned, small niggle tho, i told nikon that the firmware wouldn't update... they haven't done anything about it !

Never mind
    gaz

11. Tsumik

Tsumik Guest

My D2H experienced this problem. It was basically stuck metering 1/4" at F4.5 Iso 320. This didn't make a difference if I was pointing it at the sky or into a dark closet. My camera has been out of warrenty for 4-5 months now. I sent the camera away next day on the morning of Tuesday March 7th. I called Nikon USA in NY and asked them to send it back to me ASAP and they bumped up my shipping to Next day on the return leg. I recieved the camera March 14th in the morning about 11am.

The camera works great as far as I can tell. The best part is they replaced all the swollen and peeling handgrips on the camera and even replaced the missing grip on the CF door.

This was all done free of charge minus the cost for me to ship it to Nikon.

The only complaint I had is they were a bit slow to send me an email giving me the service number so I could check on the status of the camera.

12. Tsumik

Tsumik Guest

Well add to that last post of mine. Looks like they did something wrong when they fixed it. Cause it came back and the first shot the mirror flipped up and jammed. Then the hand grip got really hot and the camera stayed on even if I turned it off. Promptly took out the battery. Camera is in melville getting repaired again. Sigh ... I miss it.

13. zoso

zoso

May 5, 2006
    Sweden
    Have D2Hs this problem also ?

14. alec

alec

May 29, 2006
    Georgia, USA
    I was wondering if anyone can elaborate on what hard, fast changes this " D2H service advisory" has made a difference on.

Is the focus faster?
    Is the metering better?
    Is there a difference in the iso 800 noise?

Maybe someone who has had this done can let me in on what to expect.

Thanks

15. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

16. alec

alec

May 29, 2006
    Georgia, USA
    Thanks Paul for your prompt reply,

But I was wondering what the noticeable differences are once it has the "advisory" done to it.

~or are there any noticeable differences at all?

17. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

18. maxx9photo

maxx9photo Guest

I used to have one and thank GOD never had that problem except for the first frame Err/Blank. Other than that that camera has served me well and now i just upgraded to D300.

19. WillyPete

WillyPete

Jan 22, 2009
    London
    Is the first frame Error linked to the metering?

It's happening to me more frequently now.