Nikon P2

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Luckynp, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Santa brought me a Nikon P2. I wanted a P&S that I could take everywhere with me. After a couple of days struggling with the manual I have managed to implement wifi with my very small JVC notebook.

I'm new to this, but taking a picture and having it magically appear on the laptop after a couple of seconds feels so cool I can hardly breathe...

2. neat! I am intrigued by that as well.

3. Ales

Ales

Dec 29, 2005
    Kamnik, Slovenia
    Hi I have Nikon P2. I can not manage to connect it in wireless G mode (54K).

Do you connect it in 54K or 11K ?

Ales

4. Hi Ales. 11k, I think. I find I have to turn off my firewall to get it to work. But that's no problem as the laptop has no internet connection at the moment.

5. Ales

Ales

Dec 29, 2005
    Kamnik, Slovenia
    Has anybody connected Nikon P2 to 54K network ? Is this possible ?

11k is very slow.

Ales

6. First of, I think I have to mention here that we are talking about 802.11g (and eventually 802.11n) a technology that offers transmission over relatively short distances at up to 54Mbps (Megabits per second)

Networks employing 802.11g operate at radio frequencies between 2.400 GHz and 2.4835 GHz, the same band as 802.11b.

But the 802.11g specification employs orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM), the modulation scheme used in 802.11a, to obtain higher data speed.

Computers or terminals set up for 802.11g can fall back to speeds of 11 Mbps. This feature makes 802.11b and 802.11g devices compatible within a single network.

So, I guess there are other devices or setup conditions that do not allow you to connect at higher speeds.

Nevertheless, the best you can get out of a wireless G is ~26-28Mbps, since the 54Mbps applies to both in and out.

7. Ales

Ales

Dec 29, 2005
    Kamnik, Slovenia
    Hi, thanks for clarification.

My mistake. I shoud wrote 11Mb and 54Mb.

I have only Nikon P2 connected to wireless network.

The speed I get is ~300kbytes/s. So I gues It is connected to 802.11b network. It takes 512Mb card transfer forever.

I use card reader instead. It is much faster. But If I coud connect to 25Mbs (3mbytes/s) I would use it.

It is good I bought Nikon P2 for other features, and not for wireless. But it is nice feature, if it would work.

I can connect other devices to 802.11g network.

Ales

8. Ales, unfortunately I don't have a hands-on experience with the P2...

However, I might get one and test it... :wink:

Always looking for a good excuse... :biggrin:

9. Ales

Ales

Dec 29, 2005
    Kamnik, Slovenia
    Thanks in advance. If you could borrow one, let me know results.

Ales

10. Well... I was thinking of ...buying one... :wink:

11. Ales

Ales

Dec 29, 2005
    Kamnik, Slovenia
    Ok, It is nice travel and family album camera. I like it now, as I fund its faults. (Soft image, nicely sharpened in Nikon Picture project, bad focus lock at tele zoom in low light)

I have D100, but I use this camera for trips, where I can not take D100. If you need test images just tell me.

It is preaty quick, but can not compare to my D100.
    Auto WB works very good.

If you buy it and find out how to connect it to G mode.

Ales

12. marc

marc Guest

i asked about p1 in different post before xmas,

bought it because of wifi and of course nikon.

wanted to have small decent ps to use whenever

wifi works well, camera , well i sold it 2 weeks after getting it.
    could not get use to shutter lag and other ps things.

i am still looking for good ps, maybe canon sd550 or leica