Nikon prices from 1986 - 25 years ago

Found this ad from the Nikonrumors site ... thought it was kind of interesting ..
Ad from Modern Photography of Dec. 1986 ....
wow -- 25 years
I can still remember having a F3 but I honestly don't remember where I bought it or what lenses I had for it ........

untitled.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Those prices are about on par with current inflation. If you bought the 28 2.8 AIS new back then, you basically could sell it for the same price now! Not bad. :wink:

25 years from now, kids will find some old KEH catalogs and say "Wow, people only paid $5,000 for a D3s back then??" :wink:

tsssss no VR II no AFS... Seriously, this looks great; I love it this type of thing.

I wonder what the PC market sold back then :) Harddrives in MB that cost hundreds of dollars...

What I find most interesting is that five years after the F3 was introduced, accessories for the F2 were still being sold at high prices.
This was mainly because many pros were skeptical of the F3's electronics and preferred the mechanical reliability of the F2. It took a number of years before the prejudice against battery-dependant cameras was finally overcome, and the F3 came into its own.
Me? I never liked the F3, and got my used F2 in 1988, and continue to shoot with it to this day.

I wonder what the PC market sold back then :) Harddrives in MB that cost hundreds of dollars...

Around 1981 I bought a 14-inch 30 MB hard drive - in a rack mount - that cost about what a D3 costs today. Prices had gone down by the mid 1980s but memory is so much cheaper today (and capacities so much higher) it's astounding.

Real Name
Tony Admana
N2000

Yep! the same year (1986) I bought my first Nikon camera. I still have it and still in working condition.

1011778239_gnmBK-L.jpg

Thinking about it, this is my third Nikon, but still operational:

Misc-20091109-10.jpg

*sigh*

i kinda miss my old F3. that thing was a workhorse.

mind you, the F4 was better.... still have an F5 in the cupboard.

*sigh*

i kinda miss my old F3. that thing was a workhorse.

mind you, the F4 was better.... still have an F5 in the cupboard.

When adjusted for inflation, that F3 listd at $735 body only in the ad translates to $1499 today....not far off from the D300s.

The basic FM2 body only listed at $250 in the ad translates to $510 today....approximately the value of the D3100 once you subtract $100 for the kit 18-50VR lens.

So things haven't chnaged much. The cameras perhaps have gotten a bit less rugged, but substantially more sophisticated. However, they seem to fit the same niches in the consumer market as they did 25 years ago.

You want to talk 80's pricing?? :biggrin:
original.jpg

Is it me...or are those some uggggllyyyy cameras? I'm sorry size does matter. I love my big bulky camera! i'm just saying...:biggrin:

A Nikonos V for $399.95. To this day I regret not buying one but fortunately I don't Scuba dive anywhere near as much as I did then.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom