1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon pulls support for Microsoft photo contest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hotrod4x5, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Article

I searched, and didn't see anything, so hopefully this isn't a duplicate thread.

2. Gee I wonder if we would get away with the same argument to them. Its free, its on the internet so there fore it is public domain and there for no copyright. How do they say that garbage with a straight face. Especially Microsoft...:frown:

3. No kidding! I guess Microsoft software that is posted to the internet is public domain?!

4. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    You would think if anyone was sensitive to the theft of one's copyrighted work, it would be Microsoft.

5. 800lb. gorillas get to make their own rules!

6. Huh.....John Harrington was just on a podcast I heard yesterday stating how much admiration he had for MS with the Pro Photo Summit that they've been hosting. So much for that...

Sean

7. Thought this might generate more buzz...

8. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I saw this yesterday and when I typed my name in Live Search found a dozen of my photos, of course all copyrighted All Rights Reserved

I mailed the person in charge of legal and corporate affairs over at Microsoft ( jkweston@microsoft.com ) and told him about this copyright infringement that this contest was creating. Here's his answer :

“At Microsoft we take copyright very seriously and endeavour to provide all users of our products with guidance on respecting copyright. However you have informed us that you object to certain of your images being submitted by users and displayed through the competition mechanism and that you do not wish these images to be included in the competition. Please be reassured that we will take steps to ensure that each image you have reported to us will not be used again within the competition.

The initial stage of the Iconic Britain competition, in which users submit entries, closes at 1pm on Thursday 31st July, after which we will be compiling all submissions ready for voting prior to the Final 100 reveal on Thursday 14th August. Naturally, we will exclude those images you have notified to us from this voting. Microsoft will obtain the consent of the copyright owner in relation to all images that will be featured on www.iconicbritain.co.uk during the Voting and Reveal stages of the competition."

My images are still being found by Live Search … Funny part is that they had no link whatsoever with Britain …

9. Julien, what, or where is "live search?"

10. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Microsoft's answer to Google

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.