Nikon quality control...

With all the issues with Nikon cameras lately, I wonder what is going on with Nikon quality control. I'm reading about AF problems on a couple different models and oily sensors on the D600. I just read a thread about someone getting two bodies wit AF issues and is waiting on a third copy If I'm spending $$$$ for a camera, the last thing I want to worry about is will I get a good copy...
It's this sort of thing that could drive people to other brands of photo equipment. Hopefully this won't become the norm for Nikon. Come on Nikon, step up your quality control.

It's like that with all brands. Even Leica has problems. 24-36MP sensors are unforgiving to even small problems and when you dealing with 50+ AF sensors it is very hard to get it all right all the time.
Another side of it is that most people use f3.5-5.6 zooms and some enthusiasts use f2.8 lenses and they are very happy customers for the most part. Crowd here, on the Cafe, complaining about AF problems at f1.4 with one most left (right) upper (lower) corner AF sensor at night.:smile:
Considering that a lot of the stuff produced in Thailand, China and other "High Quality" countries, I'm glad it is not much much more problems with QC.
Having said that, Japan was producing cheap crap many many years ago, and then it change. Now we want stuff produced in Japan and consider it of high quality.:biggrin:

Newer Nikon models do have a higher number of reported problems than usual.

Hopefully Nikon nips this in the bud and doesn't let this become an epidemic.

I think it has more to do with them cutting back on manufacturing and production costs, along with outsourcing for cheaper parts and components and sharing them between more bodies, all in an effort to squeeze more profit margin.

Also, keep in mind that Nikon's main Japanese production facility where the D800 and D4 are manufactured is located in Sendai, which was hit with that catastrophic tsunami two years ago. They also ramped up production to meet increased demand which usually means you sacrifice some QC. For example, they were targeting 30,000 D800's a month!

Nikon quality going down Sigma quality going up.
That is true. Even I have a Sigma lens now (I never had any luck with the brand.) and I'm looking at Sigma 35 f1.4.
Nikon lenses are priced too high and quality is not guaranteed any more. Might as well try Sigma for a lot less money. (Or Tamron, or Tokina)

It's with all products! The corporations are playing the percentage. Not enough
people speak up. I have a Ricoh and it blows Nikon out of the water as far as quality.

Samuel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's like that with all brands. Even Leica has problems. 24-36MP sensors are unforgiving to even small problems and when you dealing with 50+ AF sensors it is very hard to get it all right all the time.
Another side of it is that most people use f3.5-5.6 zooms and some enthusiasts use f2.8 lenses and they are very happy customers for the most part. Crowd here, on the Cafe, complaining about AF problems at f1.4 with one most left (right) upper (lower) corner AF sensor at night.:smile:
Considering that a lot of the stuff produced in Thailand, China and other "High Quality" countries, I'm glad it is not much much more problems with QC.
Having said that, Japan was producing cheap crap many many years ago, and then it change. Now we want stuff produced in Japan and consider it of high quality.:biggrin:
If I spent the money Leica is commanding and had the issues some folks have had with the D7000, D600 & D800 I'd REALLY be pizzed. I say it's unacceptable to spend $1-3K + on a camera only to find it's not working correctly. Anyone can get a bad copy of a camera or lens, but to have several people here at the Cafe, representing a small percentage of Nikon owners, complaining of the same issues just isn't right. :cool:

I bet there are enough people complaining about problems on Leica forums also. Leica is still the best quality, and it better be for the money, but I bet "it's not like it use to be".
Corporate greed and short thinking is part of it.
Also, cameras become more and more complex and it is not easy to make everything work as it should. There are also much more DSLRs out there and only small number of them have some problems. To really see the picture, we need to know the percentage of the bad cameras during say 10 years. That of course will never be revealed.
As far as QC theory goes, you can only increase reliability so much before cost of QC becomes prohibitive. There are other ways to deal with it for not life critical items.
I remember when Japan was upping their quality of goods, they start offering 25 years of warranty on some electronics. I remember cigarette lighters with 99 years warranty. It is not that those items never malfunctioned, but companies just replaced/repair those without a word, even if it was consumer's fault. Most of the time to ship product back to the company would've cost more than to buy new, so actual returns were few, but it created perception of utmost quality of Japanese merchandise in people's minds.
Nikon, on the other hand, start skipping even on their 1 year warranty, trying to blame customer every time they can. That strategy may bring some more revenue now, but it create perception of quality going down.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
The only thing I could blame on Nikon is that they were so slow with introducing this system of pushing out half developed products and later dealing with the crap saying it was the consumers fault.
After all, hasn't one of the greatest American Companies invented this system? Every time a new version of Windows is pushed on the market, Microsoft has been doing for years what Nikon is now just starting to do:biggrin::frown:!
I think Nikon just want to become as big as M$ !

The only thing I could blame on Nikon is that they were so slow with introducing this system of pushing out half developed products and later dealing with the crap saying it was the consumers fault.
After all, hasn't one of the greatest American Companies invented this system? Every time a new version of Windows is pushed on the market, Microsoft has been doing for years what Nikon is now just starting to do:biggrin::frown:!
I think Nikon just want to become as big as M$ !
I thought you were going to say Ford :biggrin:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom