Nikon R1C1 ... second shoot.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Igor, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    It was a great sunshine this morning, so I decided to go to the distant woods to give a good test to my new R1C1 flash sustem. However upon arrival the sun was already covered with clouds and the weather was getting worse every minute.
    I managed to take a few shots but (as you see) the natural lighting was very weak, so the backgrounds are mostly dark.... The R1C1 was also having a hard time illuminating the subjects properly, had to rise the output to + 0.7 and wait for every recharge for a few seconds.
    Anyway, the two-side flash setup is definitely a great advantage over one on top, so I'm quite satisfied with results so far :)

Nikon D2x, Nikon AF-D 105mm f/2.8, Nikon R1C1 (SU-800 + 2x SB-R200)
    All handheld, ISO160, 1/160, f/22

Comments welcomed :)

fly-D2X_5754-RS-af-105mm-f2.

fly-D2X_5752-RS-af-105mm-f2.

bug-D2X_5795-RS-af-105mm-f2.

bug-D2X_5767-RS-af-105mm-f2.

spider-D2X_5767-RS-af-105mm-f2.

spider-D2X_5764-RS-af-105mm-f2.

ants-D2X_5785-RS-af-105mm-f2.

ants-D2X_5782-RS-af-105mm-f2.

ants-D2X_5793-RS-af-105mm-f2.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Igoor
    That 4th one is a strange looking fella:)))

3. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    cropped or original?? love the pics, makes me want to go do some macro work!

Brian

4. Igor, these shots are super, what more can I say.

5. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    WOW!!!!! even better than your first post!!!!!!!

Peace
    Mark

6. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Nice Igor.

7. Excellent shots again. You should have been thankful for the bad weather - the tiger beetle wouldn't have let you so close in bright sunshine :smile:

One question, though: are these cropped or have you added an extension ring? I just ask because these shots definitely go far beyond 1:1 ratio.

Cheers

8. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Thanks Gale.
    This fella was really like nothing I've seen before. After a couple of shots he simply dropped from the bark and looked like an old leaf or bean or something non living at all...

9. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Thanks Brian. All of these are crops, except #8 is ALMOST full frame.

10. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Thanks Gordon, glad you liked them.

11. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Thanks Mark, yes, I tweaked a couple of things like added a diffuser for each SB-R200 to soften the light.

12. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Thanks Joshua.

13. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Thanks Harry, I didn't know the #3 is called a Tiger Beetle, but it surely was wild, I chased him for almost half an hour before he let me do a few shots...

Yes, all of these are crops, except #8. About 30 to 70%.
    I couldn't use any ext. ring because the min. FD would be too short for R1C1.

14. That strange looking fella is a click beetle (Elateridae) of the genus Lacon. As far as I see it it is even a rather rare species (Lacon punctatus or Lacon lepidopterus). What does that forest look like? Is it in rather good (i.e natural) condition? I mean, old decaying trees, etc. ?

Cheers

15. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Hi Harry, thanks for the ID, yes, there were some decaying trees in this pine forest, actually the bug was sitting on one of these decaying pines...
    Can you please tell me where I can buy a good reference books/guides/encyclopedia to ID the insects?
    Thanks.

16. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Very impressive work, superb in fact!

17. Those pollen grains on the bee are simply fantastic. Snow here and expecting three inches of rain.

18. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Thanks Chris, appreciated.

Thanks John, hold on, the warmth is coming sooner or later (better sooner) :)

19. John, just to enlighten you - the bee isa hover fly.

Cheers

20. Igor, there are many illustrated field guides for beetles of Central Europe, but they show only a tiny fraction of all the beetles (about 8000 species in C-Europe). To a certain extent these books might also work for Ukraine, you may at least ID the families and sometimes the genera but to ID the genera you already have to be some kind of expert.

There are good identification books on the beetles of Russia but they were written for coleopterists and don't have color plates, only line drawings of a (few) representative(s) of each genus.

Anyway, as long as we both are in this forum you can rely on my knowledge :smile:

BTW - Ukraine's leading coleopterist (Prof. Dolin) who died a few years ago was a good friend of mine.

Cheers