Nikon Re-Thinkng "1 System" Citing Poor Sales

Enjoyed the Nikon 1 system while I had it, unfortunately it lacks in one area that I like to shoot and that's low light. The 1" sensor just isn't great pass 800 ISO. Image clarity greatly diminishes. I still think the M43 sensor is the perfect compromise in terms of size and performance. The 4/3 ratio sensor means glass can be made almost as small as Nikon 1 lenses, while still being competitive enough against APS-C.

Thorsten

The 1" sensor just isn't great pass 800 ISO. Image clarity greatly diminishes.
Yes, but you could have said the same about APS-C a little while back (remember the D200?). It may not help you today, but I think Nikon plans their products for the long run. The 1" sensor will get better and better, while larger sensor formats will permanently be stuck with the larger lenses they need.

Oh, and in the meantime, I don't know about "greatly diminish". For indoors, I usually set the V1 to ISO 1600 and shoot away. Yes there is noise when one looks closely, but it's more than acceptable at least for my needs. ISO 3200 is another story, though...

V1, ISO 1600
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thorsten

Just cos they screwed it up doesn't mean that it was the wrong path. It could also mean they screwed up the right path.

Tiny may not necessarily be better but for this sort of camera the tiny lens' are critical to success IMHO. Thats THE selling point.. The only reason I steered clear of apsc mirrorless is cos the size and weight of the lens' I want to use are typically bigger than I want for a truly compact system.
+1

Real Name
Richard Ella
Yes, but you could have said the same about APS-C a little while back (remember the D200?). It may not help you today, but I think Nikon plans their products for the long run. The 1" sensor will get better and better, while larger sensor formats will permanently be stuck with the larger lenses they need.
Definitely agree with this.

If their initial retail prices were more realistic, they wouldn't have to have such huge sales. Once you start the dirt cheap sale prices, it can be tough to stop. Some buyers will just wait it out knowing that the fire sale will happen. There is a great deal of competition in this area right now and prices are low so I'm sure that profit margins are small. Shame on Nikon for not pricing this correctly from the beginning.

Thorsten

Some buyers will just wait it out knowing that the fire sale will happen.
Yes, i.e. that's me. I may upgrade my V1 at some point, but I'll wait for a fire sale. While the technology direction looks good to me, the commercial decisions they made are quite odd (first over price it, then have fire sales).

I agree with this too. Nikon may have had their hardest times with this system when starting out. Not (only) because of the usual problems with lens maturity and lineup, but because this was almost ahead of its time. The sensors were just barely there, and the consumer mindset maybe even less so! We are only starting to see how great 1" sensors are about to become, with the latest Nikon 1 bodies and the Sony RX100. I think things will only get better from here, if Nikon keeps betting on this system. Nikon is now standing alone with a 1" system camera, and I actually think this is kind of visionary of them. :) They're betting on the future.

It's interesting to discuss this, as Olympus has just recently announced their micro 4/3 Olympus E-M1 which offers noise levels easily matching good APS-C cameras. The map of photography is constantly redrawn lately, it seems.

I'm just hoping they have to fire sale the 32 1.2! That will make me super happy if I can get one for under $500. :biggrin:

I know, wishful thinking, but I can dream.

Thorsten

I'm just hoping they have to fire sale the 32 1.2! That will make me super happy if I can get one for under $500. :biggrin:

I know, wishful thinking, but I can dream.
I think very unlikely. The did the fire sale on the V1 since it became obsolete when the V2 came out, and apparently they had overestimated demand and produced too many. Lenses have much longer shelf life, so no need to have drastic sales even if they overproduced it. But they probably did not and only made a hand full of these.

Steve Huff now reports that the Nikon 32/1.2 lens is now on special order only (non-returnable) at B&H. Kind of worrying. :/

I came show close to picking up a J1 again at a tent sale at our local pro photo shop. Was again thinking of the awesome FPS and reach with the adapter. Then the better part of me reminded myself of all the reason I sold it twice. Nikon really does need to rethink the whole mirrorless features and form factor fo the 1 series. I personally think they should just cut their losses and start the 2 series and fix it all. Sometimes the hardiest thing with technology is to realize you blew it and move along versus think you can iterate and improve a bad idea into someything good. The MS surface is in that space right with the Nikon 1 :biggrin:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom